Menu

mapplebum

Home mapplebum Replies Created

Avatar
Message me
You have new message! mapplebum

Forum Replies Created

  • Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    Even as a child the McRib was repulsive.

    Click to expand…

    It’s odd how autocorrect changed resplendent to that unfortunate word at the end of mapplebum’s post.

    Click to expand…

    omg hahaha can I trade it out for fries and a McFlurry? Then I’m all in.

    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

     

    Even as a child the McRib was repulsive.

    Click to expand…

    How dare you…

    Click to expand…

    Isn’t the meat super gummy? It was sickening to feel like I was eating meat replacement when it was supposed to be actual animal.

    Don’t worry I’m not pretentious. I love love love those cheap 89 cent ground beef tacos from Taco Bell. I try to go as long as possible without eating them but eventually I cave. Oh, and when we lived in NC: COOK OUT!

    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    LOL. What a thread. I suspected the article didn’t tell the whole story but how do you know how to ask the questions based on information you don’t know is lacking?

     

    Even as a child the McRib was repulsive.

    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    One major reason I wish this forum had private sections was so you’d feel comfortable posting pics of these kinds of things. With tags of course.

    in reply to: Who's Going to the White Coat Investor Conference? #227006 Reply
    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    I would buy 3 homes: one for me, one for me in Mexico, one for my parents.

     

    maybe pay off student loans too but that’s no fun.

    in reply to: If I had a Million Dollars #226996 Reply
    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    If you want something to get you though city driving on some snow and ice (50 inches per year isn’t too bad) any AWD SUV will do the job.   What about the Subaru Crosstrek?  It’s smaller, and Subarus are generally decent goat-like on road vehicles for the snowy cities and mountain roads.   Also a CRV in AWD would get the job done, is pretty nice and is big inside and small outside.  You can get heated seats, remote starter, navigation and all the warning bells and whistles with it.

    If you have to drive off-road a little and through 18 inches of unplowed snow regularly, get a 4-Runner, but it’s probably overkill and too big for you.

    Here’s my junk-car wildcard though….  2-door Jeep Wrangler!   Get the hard top, pop on your own rims and upgrade to some bigger soft rubber tires like Goodyear DuraTracs and enjoy your new go-kart.  If you get stuck in the parking lot, just lock up the differential, shift to 4WD, and drive over the barriers, sidewalk, and car-stops to freedom.  Expect 14 miles per gallon, a dental filling loosening suspension, and little annoying parts to start malfunctioning after 5-6 years though.

    Whatever you get, get good snow tires.

    Click to expand…

    I know this is an emotionally based prejudice but I think it’s stupid for a couple to own two cars by the same maker. I really like the CrossTrek, even more the Impreza hatchback but my husband drives a Forester.

    I tried uploading a pic of my neighbor’s 2-door Jeep Wrangler but it got lost somewhere in the interwebs. Why purchase that when I can get this?

    https://www.google.com/search?q=bronco+2020&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=SKW2Pr6jUnITSM%252CoEzBpurPJM6u6M%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRpeqOhC7PGK3glzfdeuQItJCNsZQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjXo7OKpPPiAhVKR60KHVQdDcwQ_h0wFHoECA0QCA&biw=1440&bih=726#imgrc=SKW2Pr6jUnITSM:&vet=1

    Click to expand…

    I wish the Bronco would look like that when it comes out.  We can hope.

    But I fear it’s going to like a basic chopped in half truck.  If they do make the squared off, throwback bronco I’m willing to give Ford a chance.

    Click to expand…

    I’m afraid it’ll err towards the Hummer side of things which would be disappointing

     

    This thread might have been for naught. Today just paying $700 more on my student loans brought the figure down from 6 to 5 figures. I realized I want to be rich. If I delay the car purchase I bet I can get husband’s loans down to 5 figures by the end of the year. Also hadn’t considered since I won’t be returning to the college 30+ miles away in the Fall, the other college is just 40 miles round trip and I’d only have to make it once a week. Still not ideal but it was the long commute that was terrifying. On sunny day with perfect conditions I’d still have to leave 1.5 hours in advance to get there on time (traffic + construction). The thought of making that drive at 40MPH in inclement weather scared me all semester.

    in reply to: Need + Reward: Another Car Thread #226969 Reply
    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    Also, the ones belittling her going back to work assume they have children / children in the home. Most couples do but I suspect had OP said “kids are out of the house, wife has decided to go back to work part time” the judgment calls on whether or not she SHOULD would not have been made.

     

     

    in reply to: What to do with spousal income? #226962 Reply
    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    Suggesting the lower earning spouse’s contribution is so low she shouldn’t even work is offensive. Clearly they don’t need the income. OP didn’t ask “Should she go back to work because of the tax implication?” (S)he was trying to find out if there were ways to avoid the tax hit. Which, this is a financial forum, so the polite response would have been “only if she has access to a tax deferred space or has self employed income.” I have never heard of a physician taking a lower paying job to avoid taxes. So what does it matter if it’s her versus him? The results are the same. Except they have $10-15k pre tax income in their pockets and the high earner doesn’t have to work more hours!

     

     

    in reply to: What to do with spousal income? #226534 Reply
    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    I’m pretty sure you can only open a Solo 401k if you have self employed income. Strange that the hospital does not offer a 403b. I’d ask around.

    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018
    Earnest refinancing bonus

    We asked to have my husband’s salary reduced $25k in order to receive a signing bonus. They lowered it $25k for two years with a payback adjusted quarterly should he leave before then. If I were you I would take the $2k / month. You will need it more that year and even though our bonus was taxed W2 it stung to only see….$16k? $14k? We basically used it to build our EF back up and cap out our Roths for the year. Hm….probably wouldn’t have done that if we’d received it as $2k / month…

    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    Medicare for All won’t pass anytime in the next five years, but on the distant horizon it has a real likelihood of passing.  Eliminating private insurance would over $1.2 trillion and eliminate nearly 2 million jobs.  Some of these jobs will be reassigned to CMS, but the majority will not.

    Medicare for All is such a fundamental change that it will not happen quickly.  This has been introduced in various forms in Congress for more than 10 years.

    If it or the balanced bill proposal as it’s currently written is passed, then you can expect incomes to drop drastically.  We’ve all heard “the skies are falling” comments, but both are bad for the house of medicine.

    Click to expand…

    This is the main issue in my view.  Huge lobbying power, massive industry.  Reminds me of Warren Buffet’s story of the Gotrocks.  Except these people aren’t shaving golden crumbs – they’re carrying away big slices of the cake!  This is your money folks!! It is interesting to me to see the fear inspired in some when single payer system and more government involvement is suggested as the solution. Practicing in a single payer system I had an income far above what I see quoted in the US for my specialty, put 4 kids through private school and retired from clinical at 53. I would much rather be at the mercy of a government subject to the pressures of public opinion than to executives whose primary goal is to enrich themselves and their shareholders. Different world views i guess.

    Click to expand…

    Agreed. In my field, Canada and Australia pay comparably with vastly better working conditions. The US is not the Elysian field for all fields of medicine; many docs would do just as well or better elsewhere.

    Click to expand…

    This is part of the bigger picture – working conditions. I went into medicine to practice medicine. I was floored doing my fellowship in the US with the seemingly endless insurance forms and paper work and this was in the early 90s.  My overhead was always lower than 20% and some months as low as 10% partly due to efficiencies in billing.  And it is just nice to know that everyone is covered. Including one’s own family.  In speaking to colleagues in the US I had the impression that our ability to tax defer and income split was also much better.

    Click to expand…

    I’ve spent the last month trying to convince husband if he needs to look for a new job we should consider Canada. Then I spoke to a friend, whose husband is an orthopedic physician (surgeon?) who is enrolling in a masters program because he can’t find a job. She said the jobs are so few and far between that when a posting goes live its usually already filled. Can you speak to this? My husband is a highly specialized surgeon so I’m not sure his plight would be any better.

    in reply to: Debate last night FREAKED my out- Medicare for ALL? #226070 Reply
    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

     

    We’ve had this conversation so many times before so I’m going to say it. If anyone deserves loan forgiveness it is PRECISELY the student with the degree in Creative Writing. Why would someone who comes out earning 6 figures, who actually has the income to pay off their debt, deserve loan forgiveness more than the person who can’t? That makes absolutely no sense. You say, they shouldn’t have gotten “a useless” degree in the first place.

    Click to expand…

    I agree with many aspects of your post. I agree that not everyone can or should do STEM degrees and jobs. However, I personally don’t like the word “deserve.”  If folks want to get a liberal arts degree and do art stuff, that’s totally fine by me. But it’s a bit ridiculous to go into six figure debt then moan and groan about it. Parents and educators should put more emphasis on the realistic results of these degrees, and I applaud you for shooting your students straight.

    Click to expand…

    Your words are “it’s a bit ridiculous to go into six figure debt then moan and groan about it.” How many threads do we read a day about someone pursuing PSLF? Signing with a hospital with nonprofit status so they can have their loans forgiven? Why is someone with 5x as much earning potential than an artist working in their field more deserving of loan forgiveness? It makes no sense that on this forum it’s perfectly natural that a high earner, such as a physician, should pursue it but anyone else doing meaningful work who didn’t happen to choose a high earning field is now “moaning and groaning.”

    Click to expand…

    I actually agree with you regarding PSLF for physicians. I don’t personally think physicians were the intended target when PSLF was made, but forgiveness (from doing 10 years at a non-profit) is different than an outright cancellation (as proposed by politicians). Forgiveness and cancellation are two separate things that have the same result: no more student loan debt.  However, I don’t blame physicians or other high earners for taking advantage of these legal forgiveness programs.

     

    Edit: thanks for your edit/comment @mapplebum. I didn’t misread your tone at all. I hope mine didn’t come across as harsh, either. It seems we agree on some aspects of this.

    Click to expand…

    never harsh you’re good.

    in reply to: Empty Promises or Possible student debt cancellation? #225903 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    You’re framing it such that we have a fundamental difference in opinion as to the role of government, which is fine. You therefore do not support the PSLF program? What about free tuition for veterans? I’m genuinely curious.

    Click to expand…

    I usually stay out of this talk because I lack the personal experience with student loans that you guys have.  However… since you brought vets into it. 😉

    I don’t have anything against PSLF in theory, but it’s hardly the same thing as tuition assistance for vets. With PSLF, it’s after the fact.  You go to school, then you get the forgiveness. That allows you to make some informed decisions from the get-go.  Vet tuition assistance is different in that you serve, and then get the assistance (or get it at the same time as serving).

    PSLF allows you to walk into school with eyes wide open about your future prospects.  You know you want to be a social worker.  You know how much you’re likely to make at that work.  You know how much that undergraduate/graduate degree is likely going to cost.  It’s more money than you can afford, but you decide to do it anyway in hopes that PSLF will cover it.  That’s a risk because not everyone manages to qualify.  I hope it works out, but if it doesn’t.. I don’t have overwhelming sympathy for your plight.  You made the choice and there was risk attached.

    If you’re a vet that wants to get a degree in Play-Doh Architecture, that’s also on you.  You probably won’t have many prospects after graduation, but you’ve done your service already and this was part of the agreement.  I’d think you’re a fool for wasting a great opportunity, but I don’t resent having helped pay for your degree.

    To be clear, I don’t really resent having helped pay for PSLF forgiveness either.  I wish there was a bit more oversight on what constitutes a qualifying job (most college professors shouldn’t qualify IMO, and I have some serious issues with some of the 503 companies), but it’s a program with a good heart.  That said, I still don’t think it’s comparable to vet tuition assistance, and I’m not just saying that as a vet. 😉

    Click to expand…

    You are 100% correct. I knew it was a false equivalency but was trying to find out how limited of a government @tim thinks is appropriate. Thanks for taking the time to respond and explain 🙂

    in reply to: Empty Promises or Possible student debt cancellation? #225902 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse
    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    I won’t even go broach the topic of talent vs. work, but suffice it to say you’re wrong.

    Click to expand…

    This is silly.  You assert I’m wrong, but offer nothing more.  Art, athletics, music, etc. are areas that require both talent and skill if you wish to make them a profession.  While skills can be taught and developed, talent can not.  We are either born with the ability to sing, jump high, run fast, draw/paint well, etc.  And anyone can get better at any of those things through practice and work, but without being born with the talent, you’re not going to do it for a living, no matter how much effort, passion, work, and desire you put into it, and certainly no matter how much money you spend on your education pursuing it.

    Nobody deserves anything just because they really want it or simply because they tried their best and put in the effort.  That’s not to say that something isn’t worth pursuing, but society does not have any obligation to support you financially in your pursuit.  You sing the sad tale of an artist chasing their dreams and having to work jobs they don’t like instead of their passion.  My point is that many people work jobs that they don’t like so that they can make ends meet and put food on the table.  Why should we treat artists any different than the garbage man who would prefer to be a woodworker or a fishing guide?  We all make choices and trade offs in life.  You seem to be making the assumption that high income earners are all doing what they love and being paid for it while artists are stuck in a life of poverty because their passion simply doesn’t pay well.  I think you would find that the majority of people aren’t doing something they love, but they do it because doing what they love would leave them in a life of poverty.

     

    Click to expand…

    I didn’t get into the subject of talent because it seems often these threads are shut down for veering too far off topic. My understanding of the reason for this thread was to talk about the tax implications of debt cancellation / forgiveness. Perhaps I was wrong and people just wanted to complain about the guy with a man bun refusing to pay $45k in loans. Your moniker doesn’t look familiar to me so I don’t have a sense of your perspective like some of the other members. The topic of student debt is discussed on this forum about as often as overweight patients and whether or not FLP is a troll. Basically every few weeks. Every time comments thrown around about how one shouldn’t pursue a “useless” degree, especially not incurring debt in order to do so. I generally stay out of the conversation but had some time yesterday so I thought I would take it to bat. I focused on the Arts because it is a noble profession. Choosing a noble profession — the Arts, social work, ministry, to name a few — come in hand with low earning potential. Medicine would be the exception. The truth is, as an educator I believe it is a dangerous precedent to correlate the value of an education, or degree, with economic utility. This is why I don’t mind my tax dollars going to alleviate a real issue in this country, which is the cost of higher education. To me that is the problem and I don’t mind being part of the solution. Paulo Freire would say education is freedom. I might limit that statement to “education is freedom from ignorance.” I’ve seen it said on here that student debt is a form of indentured servitude, and I couldn’t agree more. A Liberal Arts education has value unto itself. The tragedy are students going into a form of indentured servitude in order to expand their minds. To repeat what I said in previous posts: I support the cancellation / forgiveness of student loans so long as it is in conjunction with a truly public university. The rest of what I have to say is more aptly put by professor, thinker, and political theorist Wendy Brown. This is a 10 minute video, if you’re in a rush you can skip to 3:25 .  Wendy Brown on Education

    Avatar mapplebum 
    Participant
    Status: Spouse
    Posts: 312
    Joined: 04/17/2018

    Certain expenses pain me. Buying coffee is one of them. Especially crappy overpriced airport coffee. And I agree, the food in airports is unanimously terrible. Except Vino Volo. Not only do they keep a respectable wine selection, their salads and flat bread are actually good!   Vino Volo Locations

     

    I never thought FLP a troll and I certainly don’t think so now. Also, how cheap can he be if he’s taking his family on a trip that requires a 12 hour plane ride? The $25 internet would pain me too. I’d rather download a couple movies beforehand and spend the cash on even worse wine and snacks than you find in the airport. I wish I had a wife to pack snacks.

     

    in reply to: CYAI: Fatlittlepig edition #225602 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, RocDoc
Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear