Menu

You'll notice a lot more threads

Home General/Welcome You'll notice a lot more threads

Participant

Perhaps highlight threads where Fatlittlepig has weighed in

Click to expand…

fatlittlepig observes that forums members appreciate fatlittlepig’s modest contributions and frank and honest wisdom.

#180534 Reply
    Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant

Click to expand…

fatlittlepig observes that forums members appreciate fatlittlepig’s modest contributions and frank and honest wisdom.

Click to expand…

with an outdated avatar

new year, new you

Little fat piggy | I

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#180561 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

Looks good.

Unrelated request, can you reformat the forum topic list for people with wider-resolution monitors?  Even at your highest size one cannot read full thread titles and there is lots of wasted blank space.

#180568 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Looks good.

Unrelated request, can you reformat the forum topic list for people with wider-resolution monitors?  Even at your highest size one cannot read full thread titles and there is lots of wasted blank space.

Click to expand…

What do you want cut out to make room for more characters of the title? (See screenshot)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#180594 Reply
    Keymaster

I agree it’s a change for the better. No one wants to scroll. I’d also like to see more replies per page, but I’m guessing that’s not good for monetization.

So I’ll let it slide.

Cheers!
    -PoF

Click to expand…

I don’t know. I get more page views with fewer replies per page but page views don’t directly transmit into dollars. Probably no big difference monetization wise (not that the forum generates a ton of cash or anything.) But more replies per page would slow things down, which is a BIG deal to me.

How many replies per page would be ideal in your view?

Click to expand…

The number is not important to me. It would be better to have the feature where you automatically jump to the first reply that you have not yet read (other forums have this feature).

Click to expand…

I’ve asked the developer to look into this one. Can’t remember if we looked into it before or not.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#180596 Reply
    PhysicianOnFIRE PhysicianOnFIRE 

I agree it’s a change for the better. No one wants to scroll. I’d also like to see more replies per page, but I’m guessing that’s not good for monetization.

So I’ll let it slide.

Cheers!
    -PoF

Click to expand…

I don’t know. I get more page views with fewer replies per page but page views don’t directly transmit into dollars. Probably no big difference monetization wise (not that the forum generates a ton of cash or anything.) But more replies per page would slow things down, which is a BIG deal to me.

Click to expand…

Ahhh… hadn’t considered that. Fast loading is good for SEO.

To answer the question, Bogleheads does 50 posts per page. I think that’s a good number.

40-something anesthesiologist and personal finance blogger @ https://physicianonfire.com [Part of the WCI Network] Find me on Twitter: @physicianonfire

FIRE. Financial Independence. Retire Early.

#180655 Reply
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Looks good.

Click to expand…

What do you want cut out to make room for more characters of the title? (See screenshot)

Click to expand…

I think what childay is saying is that if you maximize the browser window on a large/wide monitor, the forum titles and stuff don’t stretch wide, you just end up with large blank background on the lateral sides.

On my phone now. Will try to remember to screencap tomorrow.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#180659 Reply
    Keymaster

Looks good.

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I think what childay is saying is that if you maximize the browser window on a large/wide monitor, the forum titles and stuff don’t stretch wide, you just end up with large blank background on the lateral sides.

Click to expand…

Yea, it looks like it’s set at 42 characters no matter how wide the screen. Seems a pretty minor issue to me. Surprised it bothers you much. I wonder if fixing it is complicated too. Looking at other forums, it looks like they let the whole title be posted and just wrap it onto additional lines if it is too long.

I don’t know. I don’t like big huge titles on threads. Maybe that’s a good way to punish people who can’t write a 42 character title. 🙂

#180669 Reply
    Keymaster

So I’ll let it slide.

Cheers!
    -PoF

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Ahhh… hadn’t considered that. Fast loading is good for SEO.

To answer the question, Bogleheads does 50 posts per page. I think that’s a good number.

Click to expand…

Other than slower loading, the only other issue would be with sponsors. It would mean their ads might be lower on the page more frequently. This way they’re at the top of the page 1 out of 5 loads. At 50 posts per page, they’d be at the top on only 1 out of 17 loads. Dunno how much it would matter to them but the difficulty in changing that is I told them one thing when I sold them the ads and could get complaints from them if I change it.

#180672 Reply

Looks good.

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Yea, it looks like it’s set at 42 characters no matter how wide the screen. Seems a pretty minor issue to me. Surprised it bothers you much. I wonder if fixing it is complicated too. Looking at other forums, it looks like they let the whole title be posted and just wrap it onto additional lines if it is too long.

I don’t know. I don’t like big huge titles on threads. Maybe that’s a good way to punish people who can’t write a 42 character title.

Click to expand…

Doesn’t bother me at all. Only clarifying for childay

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#180677 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

So I’ll let it slide.

Cheers!
    -PoF

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

The number is not important to me. It would be better to have the feature where you automatically jump to the first reply that you have not yet read (other forums have this feature).

Click to expand…

I’ve asked the developer to look into this one. Can’t remember if we looked into it before or not.

Click to expand…

Looks like it has been done. Thanks!

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#181195 Reply
    Liked by jacoavlu, Kamban
    Participant

Off topic but the [go to first unread post] makes the thread titles hard to read.

#181245 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Off topic but the [go to first unread post] makes the thread titles hard to read.

Click to expand…

Ugh!

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#181267 Reply
    Keymaster

Click to expand…

Working on it.

#181299 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

For you ego boost follow below. Does FLP’s ego really need additional boosting?;)

Go to my profile, click on replies, set that as your bookmark for WCI forums. Now everytime you browse WCI forums you can start by reading your own words!

Solo Internist, Midwest

#181303 Reply

Reply To: You'll notice a lot more threads

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear