Menu

World Cup

Home The Lounge World Cup

Participant

The more the female soccer game and development programs have changed, the more they are the same.
    Clubs have training staffs and resources. The parental role can only take a girl so far. It starts at 9 and intensifies the higher up the ladder one goes. The first big step is playing for the A team of an ECNL club.

Member Clubs

http://www.challengesoccer.com/ecnl

There are U-14 and U-16 international cups and a whole series of regional and national Olympic Development Programs. Top teams “play up” in most tournaments through age 16. At higher levels, the strategies and formations come into play. It is a “chess match “ designed to achieve a mismatch. If your best weapon is double teamed, how to exploit that is a coaching decision, not the players. Conditioning counts and speed kills.

At the collegiate level, there is a price to be paid with significant time being taken from academics.
    Injuries begin mounting up starting about 14. Five days a week strenuous workouts are alternated to attempt to eliminate fatigue. Headers are part of the game and contact as well. “Fighting for the ball” is required but one’s leg is the tool and exposed. Planting or sacrificed, knees pay the price. Volleyball and basketball have high knee injury rates as well.

Right or wrong, the lack of scoring and tactics of spreading the field doesn’t seem interesting to many casual observers. Rose Lavelle took a ball at midfield and “dribbled” on her own and took her own shot. Usually, coming from midfield with the defense in front of you is a poor choice. You do know she had a poor game statistically and the defense backed off. Big mistake. Coaching. Mark you man! Someone blew it.

The game of soccer created a physician that wants to fix adolescent knees and prevent the injuries and quantify who needs psychological counseling to prevent reoccurrences.

#228715 Reply
    Participant

Financial aspect: going to a women’s soccer game is much cheaper than going to a men’s game.

I agree, at it’s worst women’s soccer is slow. There’s a big drop off in quality from the USWNT to the bench players in the NWSL, moreso than in USMNT. At the same time when men’s soccer is bad it’s just a bunch of pinging and shoving and flopping and crying so it’s intolerable in its own way. For me I’d rather watch a slow but sporting women’s affair than a whinefest of angry men.

#228717 Reply
    Liked by MaxPower
    Participant

I thought the Lounge was reserved for non-financial topics, so confused as well that appropriately posted posts are getting locked.

I have enjoyed the Women’s soccer more as others have noted, less flopping and less arguing.  I hope that is something they don’t start doing more of.

i have coached High School boy’s soccer and it may seem like there isn’t a lot you can do once the game has started there are things you can do and of course, a big part of coaching is the prep before the game.  No, it isn’t easy.

Women’s soccer is at a different pace, but game play and strategy are needed just like in Men’s.

Men’s soccer would be better if they implemented some rules that would reduce the flop.  For instance if someone is down for more than 10 seconds, they have 2-mins to get them off the field.  If time not met, then they play a player down for 5 mins or so.  If down for more than 10 seconds, leaving the field is mandatory.  Secondly, allow for a limited number of injury subs, maybe 3 during a game.  After those are reached, then they have to use one of their other regular limited subs.  Once flops decrease, maybe add an additional injury sub.  Real injuries do occur, just not very frequently.  Note, I had two players go out with potential concussions in the same game.  Both ended up being concussions and both were unable to return during the season (3 weeks were left) and one experienced symptoms for about 8 weeks.  Too much of soccer (futbol) and basketball, as well, is about trying to draw a foul.  Just play the game.

cd :O)

cd :O) -- Chris Duncan -- "God grant me the strength of eagles' wings, the faith and courage to fly to new heights, and the wisdom to rely on His Spirit to carry me there."

#229020 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Hey, @chriscd – good to see you’re back, I’ve missed you!

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#229024 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

I thought this was going to a bunch of Indian and Pakistani doctors talking about the cricket world cup.

#229071 Reply
    Participant
    I thought this was going to a bunch of Indian and Pakistani doctors talking about the cricket world cup.

Click to expand…

Finally someone gets it right with the right World Cup that is going on right now 😊

The India – Pakistan match was watched by >500 million people world wide. Though India is number 1 seed now they will not get through the semifinal unless Rohit pulls another rabbit out of the bag tomorrow in the rain delayed match against New Zealand.

I have watched some matches fully but have seen highlights of all. That photo of NZ player consoling the West Indian Braithwaite is great, whose attempt at a sixer of the penultimate ball just failed by a few yards. If it had gone another 5 yards NZ would have been out of the knockout stage. That game was a nail-biter.

#229088 Reply
    ACN ACN 

*insert equal pay*

Click to expand…

And now for some DATA! $6 bil vs $131 mil

According to figures provided by U.S. Soccer, since 2008 it has paid 12 players at least $1 million. Six of those players were men, and six were women. And the women hold their own near the top of the pay scale; the best-paid woman made about $1.2 million from 2008 to 2015, while the top man made $1.4 million in the same period. Some women in the top 10 even made more than their male counterparts over those years.

The really significant pay gap, and the one that gets most of the press, is in the World Cup payouts. FIFA, the international soccer organization, will give about $400 million to male players in the World Cup, while female players will make around $30 million. When you hear that male players make 10 times what female players make, this is the figure that justifies the claim

As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women’s World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men’s World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players.

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men’s World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women’s World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#229099 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

The men still pull the World Cup money wagon. The men’s World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion in revenue, with the participating teams sharing $400 million, less than 7% of revenue. Meanwhile, the Women’s World Cup is expected to earn $131 million for the full four-year cycle 2019-22 and dole out $30 million to the participating teams.

Click to expand…

So who gets the other $5.6 billion for the men?  FIFA?  Putin?

Man, and I thought MOC was bad.

#229188 Reply
    Liked by chrisCD
    Participant

Hey, @chriscd – good to see you’re back, I’ve missed you!

Click to expand…

Thank you @jfoxcpacfp – I am often lurking, comment now and again.  :O)

The whole thing about equal pay is, based on the info posted above, it seems pretty equal.  Men’s soccer (not necessarily US Men’s soccer) brings in a lot more $, thus a bigger pie.  US Women’s may place better than the mail counterparts, but as a whole still generating less revenue.

You can’t pay people what you don’t have.  As far as whether or not the %s being shared are fair, that would be a whole other topic of discussion and would need to know who the various stake holders, investors, and variables are.

cd :O)

cd :O) -- Chris Duncan -- "God grant me the strength of eagles' wings, the faith and courage to fly to new heights, and the wisdom to rely on His Spirit to carry me there."

#229316 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

*insert equal pay*

Click to expand…

According to figures provided by U.S. Soccer, since 2008 it has paid 12 players at least $1 million. Six of those players were men, and six were women. And the women hold their own near the top of the pay scale; the best-paid woman made about $1.2 million from 2008 to 2015, while the top man made $1.4 million in the same period. Some women in the top 10 even made more than their male counterparts over those years.

The really significant pay gap, and the one that gets most of the press, is in the World Cup payouts. FIFA, the international soccer organization, will give about $400 million to male players in the World Cup, while female players will make around $30 million. When you hear that male players make 10 times what female players make, this is the figure that justifies the claim

As Dwight Jaynes pointed out four years ago after the U.S. women beat Japan to capture the World Cup in Vancouver, there is a big difference in the revenue available to pay the teams. The Women’s World Cup brought in almost $73 million, of which the players got 13%. The 2010 men’s World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which 9% went to the players.

Click to expand…

Shhhhhh, keep it quiet and don’t throw out facts and numbers, you might make the SJW’s heads explode…..

#229348 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

*insert equal pay*

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Shhhhhh, keep it quiet and don’t throw out facts and numbers, you might make the SJW’s heads explode…..

Click to expand…

I don’t watch much TV but it seems like the equal pay thing has been on every single time. If only those reporting on it would do the research on where the pay comes from.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#229350 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc, HikingDO

I don’t watch much TV but it seems like the equal pay thing has been on every single time. If only those reporting on it would do the research on where the pay comes from.

Click to expand…

The ones reporting on this don’t care about the facts.  They want to whip the ill-informed into a frenzy and use that as justification for change, warranted or not.  Flavor of the week.

I enjoy the level of play with men’s soccer more, but I still enjoy watching the US women’s team.  I played rec league back in school, but never was a fan of watching.  Then I married a Latina and suddenly it became a lot more important. 😛

#229353 Reply
    Participant

The issue with flopping in the men’s game, especially the World Cup, is out of control and almost makes the game unwatchable at times. The easy solution to this is to have a 4th (or 5th?) official watch replays of people trying to flop to draw calls and see if a real penalty was committed. If not, automatic red card for the flopper and they are out of that game and the next game. Easy peasy. You have to make the penalty matter, otherwise it will continue.

The harshest call in soccer is any that results in a penalty kick inside the box, because scoring is at such a premium and they almost always score (unless you’re England’s Women’s team). So players dive more in the box. Even if you just reviewed those calls and doled our red cards for flopping it would improve the game significantly.

#229400 Reply
    Liked by chrisCD
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Finally someone gets it right with the right World Cup that is going on right now 😊

The India – Pakistan match was watched by >500 million people world wide. Though India is number 1 seed now they will not get through the semifinal unless Rohit pulls another rabbit out of the bag tomorrow in the rain delayed match against New Zealand.

I have watched some matches fully but have seen highlights of all. That photo of NZ player consoling the West Indian Braithwaite is great, whose attempt at a sixer of the penultimate ball just failed by a few yards. If it had gone another 5 yards NZ would have been out of the knockout stage. That game was a nail-biter.

Click to expand…

I hate that I missed this semifinal, it looks amazing. That Dhoni run out!

And I don’t think it was even a question of a few yards, Boult just barely caught it, I think jumping, at the very edge of the boundary. If it was 6 inches higher that would have been it.

#229402 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Love the “if you’re down for X seconds” you get subbed out idea. The Italians and Greeks would be up in arms.

#229418 Reply

Reply To: World Cup

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear