Menu

World Cup

Home The Lounge World Cup

• jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    If we discuss the wage gap would it become financial, or would we spiral down a different path altogether.

Click to expand…

I think we all know where that would go…🤐

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP: I am not your financial advisor; any responses are for general purposes only
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#228460 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Happy for the team. However is there a more boring sport to watch than soccer? Just don’t get it.

#228462 Reply
    Participant

That’s ok, not everyone is cut out to appreciate the beautiful game.

#228474 Reply
    Participant

I am not an avid soccer fan, but I got a chance to catch a lot of the games as we have been on parental leave for the past month.  I can’t believe how much I enjoyed watching these games.  I loved being able to sit down and watch 90 minutes of near continuous play (only one commercial break at halftime).

Contrast this to american football (which I’ve been falling out of love with for the past few years) with its only 60 minutes of actual play, punctuated by stoppages between every play, and more commercials than you can count.  This often results in a game time of 3+ hours.  This combined, with the fact that the games start so damn late for MNF and SNF, results in me nearly always passing out during them.  The culture surrounding american football (player behavior, fan behavior at games/tailgates) has also started to gross me out lately.

Even baseball, which I love, has commercials every half inning, which gets pretty painful.  Also, often a game time of 2.5+ hours.  I do very much enjoy going to baseball in person though.

#228636 Reply
    Liked by Dreamgiver
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Click to expand…

True, FLP doesn’t know the first thing about soccer. What I see is a huge field, people kicking the ball downfield only to have the ball kicked back the other direction and so it goes…

#228639 Reply

Click to expand…

True, FLP doesn’t know the first thing about soccer. What I see is a huge field, people kicking the ball downfield only to have the ball kicked back the other direction and so it goes…

Click to expand…

then practice being quiet 🤫.

#228652 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Happy for the team. However is there a more boring sport to watch than soccer? Just don’t get it.

Click to expand…

I’ve gotta admit I’m with you, which doesn’t go over well in my household. We live just a couple of miles from an MLS stadium with a good team and my wife runs kids youth soccer organizations, coaches, refs etc. All my kids have played and one is on a comp team (which my wife coaches.)

I think it would be a better game if a couple of players from each team were removed, the goals were made twice as wide and moved up to the top of the penalty box (shortening the field) and the offsides rule were removed. Even better if it were played on ice. Frankly, indoor soccer is far more interesting to watch than “the beautiful game.”

It also must be the easiest coaching job in sports. I mean, what can you do once the game starts? You can’t even sub a player more than twice a half.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#228692 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    Participant

We are season ticket holders to the Portland Thorns and get to see Tobin, Lindsay, Sonnett, Franch, and a bunch of other terrific athletes, up close and personal for a relative pittance. The women are very accessible and host an on field season ending fan appreciation night where all of us get to juggle with them, play cornhole with them, etc. It’s a lot of fun for the kids and the girls who play soccer – seems like all the girls around us – just idolize them. We are Timbers and USMNT fans, too, but the women play better together, flop less, and just generally avoid the ego tripping that the men feel compelled to engage in.

Find an NWSL game near you later this summer and support these pioneers.

#228693 Reply
    Liked by MaxPower, Peds
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Soccer is turning into the one sport where I’d rather watch the women play instead of the men.  When the US Women win the World Cup and the US Men can’t even manage a draw with Trinidad & Tobago to qualify for it, it’s hard to accept that the latter have the equivalent level of grit and fortitude to succeed.

I am also gravitating more to watching sports where the ratio of live coverage to commercials is higher.  In addition to soccer, golf and tennis.

#228694 Reply
    Participant

Soccer is not boring; it *is* the beautiful game.  Very fast paced, very positional, very strategic.  You just have to know what you are looking at.  I would argue baseball is far more boring as a spectator sport.  And baseball games can theoretically last forever; soccer, 45min+45min + little bit of added time.  You KNOW you are out in 2 hours, 2.5 hours tops with overtime.  You can plan your time around the game.

@ FIREshrink:  I agree women’s game is generally more strategically sound, less flopping & histrionics (fewer stupid celebrations, crying and complaining to refs).  However, it is also quite a bit slower/plodding and less physical, which unfortunately (just as with the WNBA), translates to less spectator interest, not to mention very few men are going to watch women’s soccer (in the US and even more so outside the US), for a variety of reasons.  And men are still the key sports demographic.

#228696 Reply
    Liked by Dreamgiver
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Can I note confusion?

There have been lots of threads locked in the Lounge recently for not being financial. One of them actually was tangentially financial in that it related to an HOA/rent issue.

This enjoyable but completely and totally non-financial thread was started by a mod and WCI commented extensively on it.

Genuinely baffled at this point. Can we talk about non-financial topics or not?

#228700 Reply

*insert equal pay*

#228703 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

If you don’t know the rules, you cannot appreciate a game. Whether it be football, baseball or basketball.

It is Football and not soccer in the rest of the world. That is why it is FIFA. It is the American Football that needs to be called handball, since the hands are used more often than the foot except by the kickers. And it is a game with lots of time outs and stoppages. That makes it boring to me but for a beer drinker it is great, with all the stoppages and commercials.

Try watching a great premier league game like Man United or Barcelona and you will appreciate the beauty. Continuous flowing action. If those stupid flopping is penalized, it might become an even better game.

#228708 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Eh I would rather watch Peppa Pig then any televised sports.  At least I am spending time with my kids.  Maybe when they are into sports my interest will follow but not now.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#228711 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I’ve never been into soccer but I will say, it’s incredibly nice that you pretty much know when the game is going to end. It’s incredibly frustrating when the last few minutes of a football or basketball game take 30 minutes.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#228712 Reply

Reply To: World Cup

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear