Menu

World Cup

Home The Lounge World Cup

• jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    medical school scholarship sponsor

Anyone else watching now? Would be interested in a doctor’s perspective on the 2 gals who just knocked heads in mid-air. Refs made them leave but they were arguing about it. Guess that could cause a concussion? (Stupid qu, right?)

End of 1st half, 0 – 0

GO USA!!!

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#228379 Reply
    Liked by Eye3md
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

deleted

#228380 Reply
    Participant

Soccer is one of the worst sports for female head injuries.

#228381 Reply
    Liked by Peds, Anne
    Participant

And again.  Concussion is way underestimated in soccer.

#228387 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

USA! USA! USA!

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#228389 Reply
    Liked by Peds, Anne
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!

#228390 Reply
    Liked by Anne, CordMcNally
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!!!!

2 – 0 USA!!!

#228393 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

USA on the attack. They’ve been after that third goal.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#228395 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Participant

Johanna, you might enjoy The Beautiful Brain by Hana Walker-Brown. It’s an audible original book about the effects of concussion in both soccer and domestic violence and how it’s a relatively unrecognized issue. I listened to it on a road trip a few months ago with my husband (who is a soccer  futbol nut)

#228403 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

Johanna, you might enjoy The Beautiful Brain by Hana Walker-Brown. It’s an audible original book about the effects of concussion in both soccer and domestic violence and how it’s a relatively unrecognized issue. I listened to it on a road trip a few months ago with my husband (who is a soccer  futbol nut)

Click to expand…

Thanks for the recommendation, just purchased – only $4.86 at Audible so I didn’t even have to use a credit!

#228407 Reply
    Liked by highdoseamox, Anne
    Participant

Very high risk sport for women, but hard to do an apples to apples comparison – there is no female football, American style so many of America’s fastest and strongest women athletes are playing soccer.

Women also have something like ten times the risk of an ACL as men players. Something about the knee angle is more open on fill extension, which is associated with ACL ruptures.

Trying to teach my daughter how critical strength training is – lunges, squats, posterior chain, neck, core – but the risks are still there. She refuses to wear a protective cap. I don’t blame her, and I could force the issue, but haven’t.

#228440 Reply
    Liked by jz
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

Very high risk sport for women, but hard to do an apples to apples comparison – there is no female football, American style so many of America’s fastest and strongest women athletes are playing soccer.

Women also have something like ten times the risk of an ACL as men players. Something about the knee angle is more open on fill extension, which is associated with ACL ruptures.

Trying to teach my daughter how critical strength training is – lunges, squats, posterior chain, neck, core – but the risks are still there. She refuses to wear a protective cap. I don’t blame her, and I could force the issue, but haven’t.

Click to expand…

After seeing that collision, it seems nuts to me that guys have to wear protective headgear for American football and nobody is required to wear it for futbol! Does your daughter plan to play college/professional level? I was always so glad my boys had no interest in football, as our little town has been a state-wide football powerhouse since before I was born (almost horse and buggy era lol) and they really push it on the children from 1st grade up.

#228445 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

You need your head to score so head protection gear won’t work in this sport

#228449 Reply
    Participant

My daughter is only 10, but plays on a competitive travel soccer team. She has already had teammates who have had concussions, purely from collisions. They do not allow any headers at this age, which I think is great. I remember doing some headers on drop kicked balls from the goalie that flew in the air until past midfield, and the feeling dazed for a minute or two due to the impact. When I was just a few years older than she is now.

The issue with female athlete knees is due to the increased valgus angle (wider hips, so knees point inwards). There are muscles that can be strengthened to mitigate those risks, but obviously can’t change anatomy.

#228451 Reply
    Participant

https://www.orthobullets.com/knee-and-sports/3008/acl-tear

Sex related differences in ACL tears is near the top. If you click on the little camera on the bottom bullet, it gives you an additional list.

If we discuss the wage gap would it become financial, or would we spiral down a different path altogether.

Go USA!

#228456 Reply

Reply To: World Cup

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear