Menu
The forum is temporarily closed for new topics and comments. We are working on improving your forum experience. Stay tuned!

Working out during work lunch break?

Home The Lounge Working out during work lunch break?

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    I do a 1 minute sprint and 10-15 push ups in the morning.

Click to expand…

oh yeah I do a two toddler carry. 3 cereal pours. A baby lift.  A get dressed Wrangle. And about 10 coffee cup curls.

But really that is a good idea.  Something is better then nothing.  I might incorporate.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#235278 Reply
    Participant

I hit up the 5 am orange theory class which gives me a pretty balanced and efficient workout before our kid wakes up.

#235280 Reply
    Participant

garage gym
    how far do you live from home?

Click to expand…

I have a room upstairs with free weights and a pull up bar.  Got into great shape doing p90X, baby #2 came and the time just isn’t there anymore.  I also am concerned I would wake my 2 children up at 5 am jumping etc.  I am at the first point in my life where I need external motivation for working out, and I am happy to pay for it if it means I get more exercise.

#235281 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus
    I am a morning exerciser 

Click to expand…

I have found this to be the best.  It is the easiest to be consistent with and less chance of skipping due to other obligations.   However I am at a point in my family life where mornings are very pressed for time. Darn kids wake up too early and inconsistently.   Maybe when they get to the stage where it is hard to get them out of bed I will have better luck with morning exercise again.  It does not take much to have an effective home gym.  Time and determination is the key.

Click to expand…

You can always out-early the kids.

I have been meeting the same group of guys to run for over 20 years. We meet at 6A MWF for 4 miles and 7A on Saturday for 5.5 miles. I try to do a limited strength and core routine for 5-7 minutes before I run, but I am inconsistent with this. I also work out on my own on Thursday mornings before work (cardio and dumb bells) and long run solo on Sundays (6-10 miles). Half of the weeks I am able to do all of 6 days and half of the weeks 4 or 5 days, due to inclement weather or an early work assignment.

Click to expand…

I appreciate your optimism but one of them out lates me at night. A different one has overnight awakenings.  And yet another wakes up early.   The baby sleeps like one and is just a darling.

Are you allowed to pick the kid you love the most?

It is a phase.  At least that thought is what keeps me going.  🙂

#235283 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant
    I am a morning exerciser 

Click to expand…

I have found this to be the best.  It is the easiest to be consistent with and less chance of skipping due to other obligations.   However I am at a point in my family life where mornings are very pressed for time. Darn kids wake up too early and inconsistently.   Maybe when they get to the stage where it is hard to get them out of bed I will have better luck with morning exercise again.  It does not take much to have an effective home gym.  Time and determination is the key.

Click to expand…

You can always out-early the kids. 😉

I have been meeting the same group of guys to run for over 20 years. We meet at 6A MWF for 4 miles and 7A on Saturday for 5.5 miles. I try to do a limited strength and core routine for 5-7 minutes before I run, but I am inconsistent with this. I also work out on my own on Thursday mornings before work (cardio and dumb bells) and long run solo on Sundays (6-10 miles). Half of the weeks I am able to do all of 6 days and half of the weeks 4 or 5 days, due to inclement weather or an early work assignment.

Click to expand…

I wonder if Fatlittlepig could keep up with you on your jogs.

#235284 Reply
    mkintx mkintx 
    Participant

If I had free time in the middle of the day to exercise, that would be *amazing*.  I would definitely change to a gym with showers. Or if I had a lunch break.

I had to lol at the out-early the kids comment, followed by meeting friends at 6am to run.  I run at 5am most days, but have been known to out-early the work by getting up at 4am when I have a longer workout.  I go to bed pretty early though!

#235357 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

I just brought my door-jamb pull-up bar to work and I do pushups on it as well, since I don’t want to touch the carpet.

Aside from that I have an hour-and-a-half to 2 hour lunch and I use it to play with the kids and work in the yard. Sometimes I do rows on the TRX. Have been scouting for dumbbells on craigslist for the past month. It would be nice to get some shoulder presses in while seated at the desk.

A few months ago I was regularly using my 3 year old for squats and additional weight during pushups. I like to imagine it as the Milo of Croton story where I get stronger as she gains weight, unfortunately 3 year olds aren’t as quick to grow as cattle.

#235374 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

My kids like when we play the dad work out game. My twins are about 30 lbs and the each sit on one foot. My oldest is 40 lbs and he sits on my shoulders. And I just walk around the house or yard. Now that we have the baby I carry him too. They find it so entertaining! After 25 minutes I am beat and they are begging for more.
    I have other variations where I drag them on blankets or use them as dumbbells as well. But walking kid man is there favorite.

#235407 Reply
    Participant

Great discussion and workout routines shared so far.  Yes I know some of you can’t fathom having free time in the middle of the day, but that’s my situation.  I do think it is a limiting belief that a shower is mandatory. I think if I used sanitary wipes SLC mentioned that could be sufficient.  I guess I will have to just try and find out without over analyzing.  I am still on track with my early morning commitments, but there will be days where I am not able to do that. If I could utilize that lunch hour every now and then it would  a big improvement in my life.

#235466 Reply
    Participant

It should be really easy to find a gym without a shower, like literally every gym in the world besides yours.

#235470 Reply
    Participant

@saildawg,
    “If I could utilize that lunch hour every now and then it would a big improvement in my life.”

Now that is an extremely positive statement!
    It sounds like physical health was an option. Cardio and strength workouts produce side effects. If you think flexibility and balance doesn’t require sustained training, try again.
    One mat and stretch the crap out of every limb and muscle. Gymnasts and ballet dancers are examples. This will take you years if not decades.

Now, you have a world class brain in medicine. How would you rate your level in architecture, law, public accounting, math, literature, art? With all the FREE internet courses, it will take a long time. Scout for an actual program for the structured courses. REGISTER and actually take a course.

I humbly suggest you simply need a self improvement target that appeals. Music? Schedule piano lessons!
    You get the gist, I’m sure. Surely their is something you can find to structure and use your time.

#235471 Reply

Reply To: Working out during work lunch break?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear