Menu

Working out during work lunch break?

Home The Lounge Working out during work lunch break?

Participant

@lordosis– is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVm-wrZG5qY

(it’s a scene from Anchorman)

In regards to working out without a shower… I agree with FLP in that you need to find a gym with a shower. I think the new scrubs and deodorant seem like a good idea, but most people don’t realize they smell, and if you overcompensate with whatever fragrance then you’re dealing with that mess.

I’m assuming you have kids or the gym doesn’t open early. If neither are obstacles, then go before work.

#235164 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

It is the pleats I swear!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#235168 Reply
    Molar Mechanic Molar Mechanic 
    Participant

I would run 4-6 miles during lunch in Texas when I had to take one. My first clinic had a shower, my second didn’t.

A cold washcloth immediately after the workout, then repeat again 15 minutes later. Never let sweat stagnate on you. Sweat doesn’t smell unless you have diet or alcohol issues, bacteria does when given the chance.

Follow with generously applied minimally scented deodorant.

I work in close contact to my patients and assistants. I constantly would check with my assistants for hygiene issues and I was always fine.

It helps to have a shaved head. Trimming body hair helps a lot with smell and with sunblock application. (Not talking shaved, just tried with my beard trimmer every so often?

#235169 Reply
    Liked by saildawg
    Molar Mechanic Molar Mechanic 
    Participant

Also, find a way to not donate 2 extra hours of your life to the office for free. How much do you bill per hour?

People bitch about car payments on here, when your foregoing $200-500 of income every single day!

#235170 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

I would run 4-6 miles during lunch in Texas when I had to take one. My first clinic had a shower, my second didn’t.

A cold washcloth immediately after the workout, then repeat again 15 minutes later. Never let sweat stagnate on you. Sweat doesn’t smell unless you have diet or alcohol issues, bacteria does when given the chance.

Follow with generously applied minimally scented deodorant.

I work in close contact to my patients and assistants. I constantly would check with my assistants for hygiene issues and I was always fine.

It helps to have a shaved head. Trimming body hair helps a lot with smell and with sunblock application. (Not talking shaved, just tried with my beard trimmer every so often?

Click to expand…

after running, i can’t wait to take a shower. i can’t imagine actually working or seeing patients.

#235180 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    wideopenspaces wideopenspaces 
    Participant

Please please please don’t work out if you can’t shower afterwards. Find a new gym, shouldn’t be hard to find one with showers.

#235183 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Seeing patients after running 4 miles and not showering. That’s gross and unprofessional.

#235187 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    SLC OB SLC OB 
    Participant

My hospital and clinic have showers… so not sure what to say….

Anyone use these? Could this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Whice-Men-Hypoallergenic-Traveling-Fragrance/dp/B018UK3J1S/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=mens+sweat+wipes&qid=1564539457&s=gateway&sr=8-12

If you try it, make sure you ask your staff and spouse if you still smell, if so, it’s a no go.

Is your hospital close enough to shower there?

Good luck… I feel for you… I hate wasting good time where I could be doing something productive.

#235192 Reply
    Liked by saildawg
    Participant

My hospital and clinic have showers… so not sure what to say….

Anyone use these? Could this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Whice-Men-Hypoallergenic-Traveling-Fragrance/dp/B018UK3J1S/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=mens+sweat+wipes&qid=1564539457&s=gateway&sr=8-12

If you try it, make sure you ask your staff and spouse if you still smell, if so, it’s a no go.

Is your hospital close enough to shower there?

Good luck… I feel for you… I hate wasting good time where I could be doing something productive.

Click to expand…

That is helpful solution, I may look into it.  Right now I am going to 5 am sessions, but there are times when my wife is on call and I cant go as we have 2 kids sleeping.  Those days it would be nice to get a mid day workout session.

#235200 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB

garage gym
    how far do you live from home?

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#235201 Reply
    Liked by Peds, SLC OB
    SLC OB SLC OB 
    Participant

garage gym
    how far do you live from home?

Click to expand…

Could do this at 5am while the kids sleep even if spouse is on call…

#235210 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Not here-

I am a morning exerciser and have been throughout my professional career.

Earlier in my career, I would eat lunch in the doctor’s lounge with colleagues. Nowadays, I grab a salad or soup and bring it back to my workstation. There’s no time for lunch, let alone exercise! 🙁

#235268 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    I am a morning exerciser

Click to expand…

I have found this to be the best.  It is the easiest to be consistent with and less chance of skipping due to other obligations.   However I am at a point in my family life where mornings are very pressed for time. Darn kids wake up too early and inconsistently.   Maybe when they get to the stage where it is hard to get them out of bed I will have better luck with morning exercise again.  It does not take much to have an effective home gym.  Time and determination is the key.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#235270 Reply
    Participant

I do a 1 minute sprint and 10-15 push ups in the morning. That usually doesn’t build up a sweat. Maybe 2-3 times a weeks after work I’ll do a 15-20 minute traverse at the local climbing gym. That does generate sweat.

#235271 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant
    I am a morning exerciser 

Click to expand…

I have found this to be the best.  It is the easiest to be consistent with and less chance of skipping due to other obligations.   However I am at a point in my family life where mornings are very pressed for time. Darn kids wake up too early and inconsistently.   Maybe when they get to the stage where it is hard to get them out of bed I will have better luck with morning exercise again.  It does not take much to have an effective home gym.  Time and determination is the key.

Click to expand…

You can always out-early the kids. 😉

I have been meeting the same group of guys to run for over 20 years. We meet at 6A MWF for 4 miles and 7A on Saturday for 5.5 miles. I try to do a limited strength and core routine for 5-7 minutes before I run, but I am inconsistent with this. I also work out on my own on Thursday mornings before work (cardio and dumb bells) and long run solo on Sundays (6-10 miles). Half of the weeks I am able to do all of 6 days and half of the weeks 4 or 5 days, due to inclement weather or an early work assignment.

#235276 Reply
    Liked by fatlittlepig

Reply To: Working out during work lunch break?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear