Menu

Wood privacy fence…Neighbors who put ugly side out.

Home The Lounge Wood privacy fence…Neighbors who put ugly side out.

Participant

Driving thru our older established neighborhood I’ve noticed this more frequently. I imagine in subdivisions with HOA’s this doesn’t happen. Seems disrespectful to your neighbor.

#220567 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Against code here, city will make you take it down.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#220572 Reply
    Liked by MPMD
    Participant

Where I live currently, wood privacy fencing is extremely popular in the back yard.  Home we live in is about 5 years old.  When my home was built, the approach used for the fence was that any new fencing put in place, the pickets would face towards out back yard.  The ‘old’ fencing already in place had the non-picket side facing our back yard.  We have two lengths of fencing with pickets facing us and one side with non-pickets facing us.

#220648 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I feel that the people who put up an 8 foot stockade fence around their property are the same people who could care less what the neighbors think.

Not saying it is right.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#220653 Reply
    abds abds 
    Participant

Many places (certainly HOAs but I think even towns/cities sometimes) have codes about “good neighbor fencing” for this exact reason.

#220659 Reply
    Liked by Ykcor
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

Strict HOA here.  Decorative iron fencing or white pickets.

#220665 Reply
    Liked by Jack_Sparrow
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

Of course you put the ugly side out.  You paid for the fence, you should enjoy the good side.  😆

In my last neighborhood, it was pretty common for neighbors to have double fences back-to-back.

At the time, my local code allowed 7′ so I went 7′.  A lot of neighbors only did 5′ or 6′ because they were cheapskates.  7′ is really nice.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#220675 Reply
    Participant

Code of the West was that the posts go on the owner side of the wire fence. The Code of Common Sense would tell you posts still go on that side when putting up a privacy fence. Uglier? Yes. But helluva lot harder to climb over from the slick side without rails.

My current neighborhood alternates ugly pretty ugly pretty, that way no one is happy. Also pain in the butt when in laws bring the lap dogs that fit through the openings.

#220695 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

You guys and your neighbors who can see your fences

#220812 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus
    I feel that the people who put up an 8 foot stockade fence around their property are the same people who could care less what the neighbors think.

Click to expand…

They might just have dogs. (Disclosure: I have dogs but no fence. It’s less convenient.)

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#220827 Reply
    Participant

Ugly block fencing, 6 foot high, around pretty much EVERY house here. I love Phoenix, but hate this part of it.

#220829 Reply
    Participant

We just replaced a fence. Ugly side in recommended so people can’t climb your fence. It is annoying. Or you can do a style where there is no ugly side – one slat out one in etc and there’s some more air flow. But it was a fair bit more expensive.

#220837 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

We have an invisible fence for the dog and we’ll placed foliage for privacy.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#220848 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    CM CM 
    Participant

Ugly block fencing, 6 foot high, around pretty much EVERY house here. I love Phoenix, but hate this part of it.

Click to expand…

Like this?

Image result for block fences in phoenix pictures

That’s not so bad. I prefer it to wooden fences.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#220853 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Participant

I grew up around rock fences in the desert, so wood fences are a new thing to me. Does the “good side” paradigm assume the fence is shared?

#220861 Reply

Reply To: Wood privacy fence…Neighbors who put ugly side out.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear