Menu

Wood Floors

Home Real Estate Investing Wood Floors

Participant

Perhaps this is a matter of opinion? I can’t for the life of me understand why an otherwise nice renovation has hallways and bedrooms that are carpeted. I do all wood floors or a high quality laminate in properties I rehab for rentals and now that I’m shopping for a primary residence I’m frustrated with otherwise nicely done homes that will require me to immediately rip out the hideous carpet.

#245429 Reply
    Liked by octopus85
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

They are cool/cold depending on climate and super slippery which can be annoying. Hard to clean and damage easily. I like them personally but can see the downsides. I dont mind carpet in rooms, makes them look comfy and warm.

I kind of like nice wood look tile better to be honest, dont have to worry about water or scracthing so much.

#245430 Reply
    Liked by StateOfMyHead
    CM CM 
    Participant

Perhaps this is a matter of opinion? I can’t for the life of me understand why an otherwise nice renovation has hallways and bedrooms that are carpeted. I do all wood floors or a high quality laminate in properties I rehab for rentals and now that I’m shopping for a primary residence I’m frustrated with otherwise nicely done homes that will require me to immediately rip out the hideous carpet.

Click to expand…

I agree wood floors look better, but carpet is more comfortable. I remodeled our last home and replaced carpet with wood, but I do ab work on the  bedroom floor and frequently sit on the family room floor; that’s nicer on the carpet in our current home so I haven’t replaced it.

Carpet is probably common because it’s cheaper.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#245431 Reply

Ok.

#245434 Reply
    Participant

1) Cost cutting

2) Older folks in our area feel that carpet is less taxing on the joints especially when compared to wood look tile

#245436 Reply
    Participant

Hard to clean and damage easily. I like them personally but can see the downsides.

Click to expand…

Hard to clean? Swiffer wet mop. Carpet, now that’s what rarely gets clean…

I’m literally sitting in front of a pile of $5k worth of prefinished flooring that is presently piled in my home office acclimating before I rip out carpet and install it. HATE HATE HATE HATE carpet. Gross. Matted. Rarely gets cleaned. Always feel dirty after I’ve touched it. Hardwood gets mopped with the swiffer filled with commercial-grade disinfecting floor cleaner. I’d eat off it.

Toured a new model house, recently, and the carpet on the stairs was already visibly dirty and matted down. Ick.

When I build a house, it will have polished concrete floors. Even better.

#245441 Reply
    Participant

Don’t understand carpet at all. If you like the feel of carpet just get some area rugs. Much easier to replace when they get soiled or you want a new look.

#245443 Reply
    Liked by StateOfMyHead
    Participant
    cold

Click to expand…

hydronics!

Hard to clean

Click to expand…

hard to look clean if you don’t keep up the cleaning

damage easily

Click to expand…

character?

#245447 Reply
    Liked by StateOfMyHead
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I feel it depends on the room. I like the living room and bedrooms with carpet and the kitchen,bath and dining room wood. Area rugs are nice but if you are wrestling with the kids on the floor you cannot beat wall to wall carpet.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#245449 Reply
    Participant

I use tiles for residential rentals because it is relatively cheap and most durable.

#245453 Reply
    Participant

I lived in a humid city for a couple years and there was no carpet in sight.

I missed carpet.

#245455 Reply
    Liked by StateOfMyHead
    Participant

@octopus85 what commercial-grade disinfecting floor cleaner do you use, and where do you get it?

The swiffer mops I’ve used always feel so flimsy. The pole bends, and one has even snapped, from pushing down trying to scrub a spot off a wood floor before. Maybe it’s because I’m taller and so am pushing down on it from a steeper angle.

#245457 Reply
    Liked by StateOfMyHead
    Participant

Once you have a kid vomit on the carpet, or a dog pee on the carpet, you’ll want to RIP it ALL out of the house. At least that is how I feel. I hate carpet. I get ours cleaned several times a year but it never actually feels clean to me.

One rental we lived in had carpet in the kitchen and bathroom. So gross. Luckily landlord was willing to remove it. In our current house they had carpet in the dining room. We pulled it up to reveal pristine 80 yo wood floors underneath. Used the carpet as a weed barrier underneath the trampoline that we dug into the ground. Win-win!

#245464 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Hard to clean and damage easily. I like them personally but can see the downsides.

Click to expand…

Hard to clean? Swiffer wet mop. Carpet, now that’s what rarely gets clean…

I’m literally sitting in front of a pile of $5k worth of prefinished flooring that is presently piled in my home office acclimating before I rip out carpet and install it. HATE HATE HATE HATE carpet. Gross. Matted. Rarely gets cleaned. Always feel dirty after I’ve touched it. Hardwood gets mopped with the swiffer filled with commercial-grade disinfecting floor cleaner. I’d eat off it.

Toured a new model house, recently, and the carpet on the stairs was already visibly dirty and matted down. Ick.

When I build a house, it will have polished concrete floors. Even better.

Click to expand…

I guess I mean tricky since the new stuff or certain styles only take a certain cleaner, etc…We had wall to wall hardwood outside kitchen/bath in a very dusty town, and that was super painful.

Carpet is never clean, but I can see people liking the illusion its clean.

Tile is better to me, or even stained concrete. Hell, put a drain in the center and instead of the central vac you can have a central hose.

#245484 Reply
    Participant
    Click to expand…

Hell, put a drain in the center and instead of the central vac you can have a central hose.

Click to expand…

Now you are speaking my language!

#245498 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod

Reply To: Wood Floors

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear