Menu

Wireless earbuds

Home The Lounge Wireless earbuds

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I currently have a pair of Bose soundsport earbuds that are a couple years old. They are Bluetooth but have a wire connecting the buds together. I like the sound but they are not very durable. they’ve worn out faster than would be expected with normal use. I want to replace them with truly wireless buds, but not sure if Bose is the best way to go.

Any recommendations on durable high quality truly wireless earbuds?

Mostly use during commute, but also running and gym occasionally.

#244120 Reply
    Participant

I use beats and love them, great sound

#244121 Reply
    Hank Hank 

Are you in the Apple ecosystem, or are you one of those green bubble people?

If you have an iPhone (and a Mac, etc.) I would recommend a pair of AirPods for a good balance of quality and convenience.  Wait until Apple’s new iPhone event next Tuesday to see if they announce third generation AirPods.  If they don’t announce them on Tuesday, the might be announced in October at an iPad event.  Either way, the third generation AirPods (and the next generation of Apple Watch) should launch prior to Christmas.

If you want better sound quality and noise isolation but don’t mind more bulk and the risk of getting hit by a car, the new Powerbeats are pretty nice.

I do question your comment that you need wireless earbuds for your commute.  Are you running, biking, or using the subway?  Because if you’re driving a car, you should put the earbuds away and use the 5.25″ or 6.5″ speakers built into your car or truck.  Don’t drive distracted wearing headphones/earbuds like some kind of fool!

#244124 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc, pierre
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

There are a multitude of AirPods clones on the market. I’ve tried quite a few of them. Here are some decent ones for a very good price. I have them and they work well for me. ( i12 TWS )

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33017886209.html

#244125 Reply
    Participant

Was iPhone until my 6 needed replacing and a galaxy was $300 cheaper. The transition was weird, but now I like better.

I use the headphones in my car, which is a 2005 Altima with no way to connect my phone to the audio. But I also use them plenty when I’m not in the car, so it’s worth it to have a pair.

FLP, that is a great price, but it does make me question the quality.

#244150 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

https://aftershokz.com/collections/wireless/products/trekz-air

Not buds, but I use Trek Air bone conduction headphones everyday. Extremely light and very comfortable, perfect for running, exercising or even driving ( @pierre , because of the open ear design). The sound quality is astonishingly good, too. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

(Not good for airplane use or anywhere where noise cancellation is a priority; I have a pair of wired Klipsch earbuds for travel.)

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#244152 Reply
    Trömner_Wielder Trömner_Wielder 
    Participant

Not sure about earbuds, but Bluetooth FM transmitters work great to connect a phone to the audio in old cars and they have built in microphones so you can take calls while driving. I’ve been using one daily in a 2005 model for several years with no issues

#244154 Reply
    Liked by TheDangerZone
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

My BIL bought me a pair of Jaybirds 3-4 years ago and they are just now starting to have battery life issues. I use them literally every day. They are astonishingly tough and durable. I have worn them for hours in tree-stands the freezing cold/snow and on many 95 degree runs as well. I am also a fairly heavy sweater which hasn’t phased them at all. I even shower with them on in the locker room sometimes.

I don’t think I’ll ever buy a different brand of BT headphones based on this experience.

I am not sure that Jaybird wins the award for sound quality but I have been genuinely and pleasantly surprised by how tough my set is.

#244159 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, pierre
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

I have aria which i like and have the added benefit of waterproof so can be used in the pool.

i’m not the best judge of quality of sound so wouldn’t comment on that.   Work great in airplanes even though not formally noise cancelling.  When you fit them in the ear canal, they just block out sound like crazy.  Not sure that’s a plus for running however.

#244164 Reply
    Liked by pierre
    Participant

Shure SE 535 also have a wire connecting the ear buds, but there’s a Bluetooth model. If you want the best sound quality, check them out. Great for commute, travel, and the gym, but not for running.

#244183 Reply
    Liked by pierre
    Participant

I use beats and love them, great sound

Click to expand…

I use these too and have had no complaints.  They do sound quite good

#244185 Reply
    Liked by HikingDO, pierre

i also support jabra or powerbeats pro

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-earbuds/

#244193 Reply
    Liked by pierre
    Participant

I inherited this from my wife who got airpods. It’s good for gardening and household chores, but not so great for mountain biking fwiw.

#244246 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I do not think you should be obstructing your hearing while you are driving…

Not buds, but I use Trek Air bone conduction headphones everyday. Extremely light and very comfortable, perfect for running, exercising or even driving ( @pierre , because of the open ear design). The sound quality is astonishingly good, too. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Click to expand…

I have been looking into these and have only heard good things.

Then again do not listen to me.  For the longest time I thought it was a new trend to walk around with cigarettes coming out your ears.

Image result for airpods look like cigarettes

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#244253 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

https://aftershokz.com/collections/wireless/products/trekz-air

(Not good for airplane use or anywhere where noise cancellation is a priority; I have a pair of wired Klipsch earbuds for travel.)

Click to expand…

Couldn’t agree more, mentioned a few weeks ago on another thread. Amazing how good the sound is and it’s been even better when I use the earplugs they sent, but that’s kind of a hassle. Before these, i used Kinivo – I would have to replace at least 1x yr, but they were so good and so cheap that I kept using them for 5 yrs until I found the Trekz.

Only downside for Trekz imo, is that fast fwd and back is not as easy as it was on the Kinivo so I have to use my phone screen (listen to books 95% of time, talk on phone 5%). They’re so good, otherwise, that I decided I would rather adapt than sacrifice them.

Since they’re not in my ears, I forget I even have them on and others usually don’t even see that I’m wearing anything.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#244255 Reply

Reply To: Wireless earbuds

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear