Menu

who gets two hotel rooms

Home General/Welcome who gets two hotel rooms

• The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

We have four kids. Sometimes we get one and sometimes we get two and sometimes we get a house. It just depends. We often pack sleeping bags and camping pads even when staying in a hotel or AirBNB. Right now we’re in an AirBNB that sleeps 28 with about 35 people. We brought four pads and four sleeping bags. 3 were used last night.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#224735 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB, q-school
    FunkDoc83 FunkDoc83 
    Participant

This may be the most unpopular response, but a simple solution is to leave the kids at home with grandma and go on a vacation with your spouse.  I know trips with my kids are not relaxing at their ages and I find it hard to describe the trips as vacations.  Anyway, good luck working it out.

#224737 Reply
    portlandia portlandia 
    Participant

This may be the most unpopular response, but a simple solution is to leave the kids at home with grandma and go on a vacation with your spouse.  I know trips with my kids are not relaxing at their ages and I find it hard to describe the trips as vacations.  Anyway, good luck working it out.

Click to expand…

It’s only unpopular with the grandparents. 🙂

#224751 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc, Lordosis
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Click to expand…

Agree that a trip is one with the kids and a vacation is one without. But I can’t seem to get the grandparents to watch the kids 30 times a year.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#224789 Reply
    FunkDoc83 FunkDoc83 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Agree that a trip is one with the kids and a vacation is one without. But I can’t seem to get the grandparents to watch the kids 30 times a year.

Click to expand…

Do you really go on 2-3 trips/vacations per month?  I can’t even fathom that, but it sounds pretty sweet.

#224792 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Had an out of town wedding so we left the kids with grandparents.  5,2,2,newborn.    I am pretty sure we burned that bridge for at least a year. I guess they thought we were exaggerating that it take 3 hours to put them all to bed and they wake up at 5AM.   And now their sleep schedule is all messed up more then usual and they want to do all these things that grandma let them do.  It was not worth it.  We will take day trips for the next 1-2 years.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#224809 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Do you really go on 2-3 trips/vacations per month?  I can’t even fathom that, but it sounds pretty sweet.

Click to expand…

Not as sweet as you might think. There is an upper limit to how many trips are fun to take and I regularly bump into/go over it.

This month I spent 8 days traveling to Honduras, 8 days traveling to California, and 4 days in the mountains with youth. That’s 20 days, leaving 10 in town. I also worked 8 shifts and crammed all of my monthly WCI work (4-5 podcasts, 8-9 blog posts, a newsletter, social media presence, ten gazillion emails) in around those shifts (although admittedly this trip to California is part-work, part-play as I’m writing articles today and have a talk on Saturday in Huntington Beach.)

This month is definitely over the limit, but about 10 days a month on trips is pretty nice I think. Maybe a week long one and a 3 day one. That’s about ideal for me.

#224820 Reply
    Participant

I am in the group of multiple rooms . If it’s one room then it has to be two queens with the two kids sharing one bed. Trip with kids is already stressful and no need to make it more stressful. It may be more expensive but it’s not cost prohibitive in most cases to get an extra room. Even though I watch what I spend in most other things, beds and being able to sleep well and be comfortable on a vacation is important to me.

#224921 Reply
    Liked by q-school
    Participant

I have a family of 7!  I’ve never got an extra room.  Many hotels will have a suite with 2 queens + pullout sofa bed -Hyatt Place, Sheraton suites, etc, etc, etc. I’ve even had 3 bedroom suites in villa/condo type hotels. The hotels that don’t simply get scratched off the list.  And in expensive cities where that is not available, we just do AirBnB.  If you don’t try to go too cheap, you can have an excellent experience at AirBnB/Vrbo – you will get what you pay for. A 3-bedroom house for $50/night will come with subsidized guests (rodents and roaches). I’ve never had that experience, but I target $250-300/night (cost of a good hotel room) and read the reviews carefully. That will get you a super-nice place on Airbnb.

#225031 Reply
    Liked by Anne, q-school
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

you mentioned “next scheduled marital relations.” would having more of these martial relations scheduled on vacation make you feel better about 2 rooms?more so than sleep, this seems like the biggest thing you are passing up with one room. obviously your wife would have to feel the same way, but if she does then hopefully everyone will be happy.

#227061 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

you mentioned “next scheduled marital relations.” would having more of these martial relations scheduled on vacation make you feel better about 2 rooms?more so than sleep, this seems like the biggest thing you are passing up with one room. obviously your wife would have to feel the same way, but if she does then hopefully everyone will be happy.

Click to expand…

That was just a joke, but in our family, with two young kids, two rooms would mean adults splitting and taking one kid each.  🙂

#227074 Reply
    Participant

We have two littles and we put them in a connecting room.  We barricade the hallway-facing door so there is NO confusion. They are actually closer to us in this set up than at home where they sleep upstairs and we have a first floor bedroom.  Works fine!

#227115 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

We have two littles and we put them in a connecting room.  We barricade the hallway-facing door so there is NO confusion. They are actually closer to us in this set up than at home where they sleep upstairs and we have a first floor bedroom.  Works fine!

Click to expand…

My wife made me put the fridge in front of the door so my son would not wander out of the room at night.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#227184 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

We have a little sleeping ninja as well.  Have a travel bed / cot for her.  No way is she in the bed with us if at all possible.

#227484 Reply
    Hank Hank 

It’s odd: our kids look normal during the daytime. Reasonably happy, reasonably healthy, two arms and two legs.

How is it then that when they crawl into bed with us they suddenly have four knees and a half dozen bony elbows??

#227775 Reply

Reply To: who gets two hotel rooms

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear