Menu

who gets two hotel rooms

Home General/Welcome who gets two hotel rooms

• CM CM 
    Participant
    Once you guys achieve true financial independence

Click to expand…

q-school, I’m financially independent and earn well into the top percentile per year, but we barely spend more on everything than you spend on vacations. You’ve got to be joking with this post.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#223940 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant
    that’s where i slept when we stayed in a hotel when i was growing up (uncommon).

Click to expand…

Very common where/when I grew up, but I don’t think we ever stayed in a hotel. My sibs and I slept on the floor frequently for “sleepovers,” or on the ground in the backyard — just for fun. There were several times I ended up sleeping on the floor in an unfamiliar place after college parties.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#223942 Reply
    Liked by eyecandy, Tim, ENT Doc
    q-school q-school 
    Participant
    Once you guys achieve true financial independence 

Click to expand…

q-school, I’m financially independent and earn well into the top percentile per year, but we barely spend more on everything than you spend on vacations. You’ve got to be joking with this post.

Click to expand…

i love you like a brother and have learned much from you.  however, with all due respect, i honestly feel that your annual budget for a top earning physician is more extreme than my cheaping out on a second hotel room or a pair of shorts.

you have posted many times about doing things most of us only dream of doing.  you are brave enough to change careers twice.  you have taken two breaks from medicine.  you have had a life threatening scare.

why not spend a little more?  there’s certainly room between where you are and being wasteful.  is there nothing you are holding back from at all?

i hope to learn more from you.

thanks

#223944 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

um, if those were my kids they would be on the floor.

that’s where i slept when we stayed in a hotel when i was growing up (uncommon).

Click to expand…

wife thinks hotel room floors are too dirty.  personally i was willing to send one if not both to the floor.

i wasn’t willing to fight my wife over it.

agree that it represents a potential solution for some.

#223945 Reply
    Participant

Perhaps i define the word budget differently than you guys.

my wife loves to vacation, and i don’t like to fight and i know i’m cheap and she deserves way better than i would choose, so while we share our finances/accounts, we have a separate vacation fund.  That amount is set aside every year, and she can do whatever she wants with it.  We are not looking necessarily to spend all of it.

Most years there is a significant amount remaining at the end of the year.

Once you guys achieve true financial independence, you realize that all expenditures are a choice, and that you still have some principles that guide your choices.  I’m working on some of these things myself.    It’s hard to see myself agreeing to two rooms in a luxury hotel because i don’t want my kids to be too spoiled, but that may not be the right way to make that point.

Last week i donated 20k to charity and my wife laughed as she watched me try to decide whether to buy a new pair of shorts or not (i did not, too expensive).  She later bought them for me for Father’s Day.  I returned them.  She repurchased them and washed them.    I love them.  So comfortable.  Yes i have issues.

Ymmv

jmo

have a great weekend!

Click to expand…

This actually explains a lot and it all kinda makes sense now.  You gotta get the second room.  I don’t buy clothes often, but I do the same thing, I have a hard time paying anywhere above 75% MSRP no matter how much I know I’ll like the garment.  I’ve loosened on this recently, and it’s a good life.  Good luck, and enjoy that second room on your next trip!

#223946 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Look for a place with a couch bed, we use these all the time and my hotel requirements usually depend on if they have free breakfast or not. My five year old is very similar to yours, but will sleep with one of us or the teenager when packed. Preferably the teenager so we both sleep better than usual. Sometimes she takes a pullout bed, complains but too bad, she has young bones.

Used to do Airbnb, but i just dont anymore. Theyre too much hassle for standard trips and you have to deal with/meet weird owners, I feel very concerned and aware of everything and am afraid of ruining something etc…, cleaning fees, no thank you. Give me a faceless, interchangeable room with set times and predictability, no one to make fake small talk with, no concerns about the room or items in it every day all.

#223947 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant
    is there nothing you are holding back from at all

Click to expand…

I suppose we might travel a bit if I was retired and we moved back to my hometown, but primarily because my wife would like to take an occasional trip. (I don’t enjoy airports and hotels, packing and unpacking, etc.) At this point, I want to use my vacation time to go back home and see family. Don’t know how much longer I’ll be lucky enough to have my parents with us. Also, I expect to spend quite a bit on our forever home once we move after retirement.

However, that’s neither here nor there. I gave up beaucoup potential earnings to do things more important to me. That was my extravagant spending, and I’m happier for it. You value other pursuits, e.g., $50K/year worth of vacations, so it’s silly to scrimp on the two-room thing. JMHO.

i hope to learn more from you

Click to expand…

Likewise. But I hope you don’t expect much from my end. 🙂

#223952 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Air mattress is the way to go. Kinda heavy for the big ones if you are flying.

I would volunteer to sleep alone on the floor before trying to share a bed with my kids. Mine are younger though. We just avoid overnight trips for now

The silence of the lambs idea is also good

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#223963 Reply
    Participant

I recently encountered someone who gets a separate room for their two-year-old (who sleeps in a crib) when they travel.  Seemed really weird.  When they were explaining that the main reason why is that their daughter just prefers it that way, I thought it had to be a joke, but it wasn’t.

#223966 Reply
    Participant

Vacation spending with kids is painful.   I wouldn’t worry too much about the extra room.  What you should get upset about is realizing that you are paying sometimes over double a hotels normal rate because you are vacationing during your child’s spring break.   I brought my kids to NYC during my son’s spring break, he is in first grade, it was painful to see that the same cheap hotel I rented was some 2-3 X more during the week of his spring break vs the week before or the week after when it was not spring break.   Pre-kids, go the week before or after obviously, post-kids, you are stuck on their school schedule.   What is even more frustrating is when you realize why every school district has the same week as spring break.   There is no reason that one town could not have a spring break in March, one in April, one in May.   The school districts all time their spring breaks together to accommodate the teachers who have their own children in school so they can be off with their children who are usually in other school districts.  So essentially we are all paying 2-3 times for our flights and hotels so that the teachers do not have to take time off of their schedule to be on vacation with their children.

#223970 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

My kids used to sleep on the floor quite readily, wherever and whenever.  We used to take some long international flights, and they would grab a pillow and a blanket and dive onto the floor of the airplane to sleep.  Likewise in a hotel in our earlier days with younger kids, one room, kids on the extra bed or on the floor, no big deal.  Our feeling was perhaps a bit of exposure to dirt could give their immune systems some healthy exercise and prevent allergies.  Heck, my youngest didn’t like sleeping in either one of his twin beds at home, preferring the floor until he was a teenager.

Now they live independently and seem to appreciate luxury destinations and luxury hotels when they agree to travel with the ‘rents.  And we invite their significant others to come along and they each get their own rooms.  They live on their own dime all year, so it feels nice to treat them occasionally when we all travel together.

#223972 Reply
    Participant

Hyatt Place—extra couch bed. With 4 kids it has worked well for us. Especially since they are too young to sleep in a separate room even if we wanted them too and we don’t have to split up. AirBnB/VRBO has been a good solution for longer trips too. But only if we can book the whole place.

#223974 Reply
    Participant

Another vote for AirBnB or VRBO. We are a family of 5 and have a difficult time always finding rooms to accommodate 5 sleepers in hotels. If the hotels have them, the suites are usually cheaper than having to book 2 rooms, but we’ve found they aren’t always available.

We have had good experiences with AirBnB and VRBO, so far. Certainly there are horror stories but I won’t stay in a place with less than 30 reviews.

#223977 Reply
    Participant

Frugal for self doesn’t necessarily translate to others. Have experienced multiple people who are frugal coupon loving, yet donate the world to others.

Embassy suites sounds like a good consistent product for you. We use residence inn and Hyatt place for our two beds + pullout for family of four usually.

This trip is exception in Hawaii. Staying at grand wailea and enjoying the facilities…took only one room….but the upgrade….wow. it’s been nice. 😎🤯

#223984 Reply
    Liked by q-school
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Every. Single. Time.

Sometimes two rooms is not enough for this family of four.

#223986 Reply

Reply To: who gets two hotel rooms

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear