Menu

who gets two hotel rooms

Home General/Welcome who gets two hotel rooms

• q-school q-school 
    Participant

hotels-  in cities, some do not offer rollaway beds

my younger son punches and kicks and talks in his sleep.  if you go to bathroom, when you return he has sprawled out over the whole bed.

my older son refuses to sleep with him, so i was offered the opportunity.

my wife refuses to let me put him in the bathtub.  she thinks the floors are dirty.  her compromise offer to me was to get another room.  obviously, she does not know who she married.  so that’s a firm no.

suggestions?

#223911 Reply
    Liked by uptoolate
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

Spring for a suite.  😉

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#223914 Reply

easy, wife sleeps with problem son

there are also some pretty sweet portable mattresses for camping. Blow up, self inflating foam, etc.

embassy suites usually can get two beds plus fold out couch relatively cheap

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#223915 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc, Anne, Peds
    Participant

Aren’t you the same person who said their annual vacation budget was 50k? Would definitely get a 2nd room. Sleep is important. I’ve come to prefer Airbnbs where you get the whole place including a kitchen to staying in a hotel room.

#223917 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

How old are we talking here? Driving or flying?

Solutions:
    1. Book at hotels that offer a rollaway
    2. Two queens
    3. Bring roll up mattress along and put on floor
    4. Silence of the Lambs restraint apparatus
    5. Cheaper hotels with two rooms
    6. Sleep study?
    7. Foley

#223919 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Aren’t you the same person who said their annual vacation budget was 50k? Would definitely get a 2nd room. Sleep is important. I’ve come to prefer Airbnbs where you get the whole place including a kitchen to staying in a hotel room.

Click to expand…

my dearest anne,

how little you know me.  😉

while the budget is indeed embarassingly plentiful, those who come from a background of limited means often have trouble indulging themselves in such luxuries as second private room.  my wife refuses to stay in an airbnb because her main goal on vacation is to make sure she doesn’t have anyone even remotely thinking she will be grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc.  so instead we stay in hotel of her choosing.  in this case, we were in a large metropolitan city which did not offer rollaway beds.  if i actually knew what the room in the five star hotel cost plus access to the lounge, i’m sure i would pass out from shock.

we walked ten miles every day enjoying the sights of the city.  i was willing to buy an airmattress but did not find one.  i roshambo my wife for the privilege of sleeping with older son, but somehow she craftily beat me (still under protest).  she claimed it was for the whole week, not just the first night.  i offered her the opportinuty to skip the next scheduled marital relations in exchange for the good bed but she declined.

it is of critical importance to the whole family that younger son (8 years old and we flew) gets a good night sleep or else we all suffer from his (unintentional) irritability.

so i took one for the team.

so far, i have not seen anyone else here willing to go to the extreme of a second room except for Anne.

🙂

#223920 Reply
    Participant

This is exactly why I don’t stay in hotels anymore.   AirBnB is the way to go – with minimal effort can usually find nice, unique properties, with way more space than 2 hotel rooms for less money.   The kids can go to bed in one room at 8pm and the adults can do whatever else in the rest of the house/apartment and not have to worry about waking the kids up.

Your wife doesn’t want to cook?  Even if the AirBnB has a kitchen, it doesn’t mean you have to use it!

#223924 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

my dearest anne,

how little you know me.

while the budget is indeed embarassingly plentiful, those who come from a background of limited means often have trouble indulging themselves in such luxuries as second private room.  my wife refuses to stay in an airbnb because her main goal on vacation is to make sure she doesn’t have anyone even remotely thinking she will be grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc.  so instead we stay in hotel of her choosing.  in this case, we were in a large metropolitan city which did not offer rollaway beds.  if i actually knew what the room in the five star hotel cost plus access to the lounge, i’m sure i would pass out from shock.

we walked ten miles every day enjoying the sights of the city.  i was willing to buy an airmattress but did not find one.  i roshambo my wife for the privilege of sleeping with older son, but somehow she craftily beat me (still under protest).  she claimed it was for the whole week, not just the first night.  i offered her the opportinuty to skip the next scheduled marital relations in exchange for the good bed but she declined.

it is of critical importance to the whole family that younger son (8 years old and we flew) gets a good night sleep or else we all suffer from his (unintentional) irritability.

so i took one for the team.

so far, i have not seen anyone else here willing to go to the extreme of a second room except for Anne.

Click to expand…

Yes, I am in therapy getting over the aversion to indulging myself due to my own background.  Mainly the therapy consists of buying something IAOI I truly want it.  When I do, and it makes my life better, I realize I don’t miss the extra money at all and my life is easier.  A few times I’ve learned it doesn’t make my life better and then I go back to my old ways the next time.  Maybe get the second room for one night and see how much better it makes that night and the next day and go from there?

Or get the AirBnb and make sure that you and the kids are the ones going grocery shopping, cooking, and cleaning 😉

#223925 Reply
    Participant

Definitely get the suite. Two queen beds and a pull-out couch should be enough space for the 4 of you.

#223926 Reply
    Participant

Is this post a joke.  Your vacation budget is that high yet you book one, two bed basic hotel room for a family of 4?  Either find a hotel that has a suite so no one sleeps with the kicker or get two rooms.  But then again I love sleeping and having comfortable accommodations (not luxurious, just enough place to sleep) is near the top of my priority list.  Two rooms in a Holiday Inn Express and you’re set.

#223929 Reply
    Participant

In my family we(meaning against my subconscious will) would get the second room.

#223931 Reply
    Liked by jackjohnson
    Participant

q-school

At least the US hotels allow a 3rd person even if we book as 2 adults. In Europe many hotels did not allow our 13 year old daughter sleep in the same king bed with us and we created a mini ruckus. They charged us more for the 3rd person in the room.

In your case the best option would be to book a 2nd room, each with 2 queen beds. You and one child sleep in one room and your wife and the other child in the other room. All get their own bed for the vacation. Believe me, after you use this method you won’t go back to all in one room.

Now we book 2 rooms if we can and have the daughter stay in a 2nd room that adjoins us or is opposite to us.

#223935 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Perhaps i define the word budget differently than you guys.

my wife loves to vacation, and i don’t like to fight and i know i’m cheap and she deserves way better than i would choose, so while we share our finances/accounts, we have a separate vacation fund.  That amount is set aside every year, and she can do whatever she wants with it.  We are not looking necessarily to spend all of it.

Most years there is a significant amount remaining at the end of the year.

Once you guys achieve true financial independence, you realize that all expenditures are a choice, and that you still have some principles that guide your choices.  I’m working on some of these things myself.    It’s hard to see myself agreeing to two rooms in a luxury hotel because i don’t want my kids to be too spoiled, but that may not be the right way to make that point.

Last week i donated 20k to charity and my wife laughed as she watched me try to decide whether to buy a new pair of shorts or not (i did not, too expensive).  She later bought them for me for Father’s Day.  I returned them.  She repurchased them and washed them.    I love them.  So comfortable.  Yes i have issues.

Ymmv

jmo

have a great weekend!

Participant
    It’s hard to see myself agreeing to two rooms in a luxury hotel because i don’t want my kids to be too spoiled, but that may not be the right way to make that point.

Click to expand…

Here lies the difference. I never book in a luxury hotel unless it is booked as a part of a vacation package that I take with a group of my friends and their families.

Otherwise we are the base Marriott / Hilton customer like Hampton Inn or Residence Inn. I get employee rates and hence the 2nd room is affordable.

#223937 Reply
    Liked by q-school
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

um, if those were my kids they would be on the floor.

that’s where i slept when we stayed in a hotel when i was growing up (uncommon).

#223939 Reply

Reply To: who gets two hotel rooms

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear