Menu

Which expensive things are high yield?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Which expensive things are high yield?

• jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Disability Insurance
    Automated delivery of things we consume regularly: air filters (simplefilterplan.com), formula and diapers, etc.

Click to expand…

Glad you mentioned this. I have begun using a filter delivery service and know it will be worth it because I never changed the filters on time before. And I’ve learned that replacing HVAC systems is kind of pricey, not to mention a major hassle.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#187651 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant
    Solar panels and EV. 

Click to expand…

I am installing geothermal heating and cooling as well as doing the foam insulation in my new house. The former is very expensive but hopefully the federal and state credits will go through and make it not too far above a conventional system. Everyone was raving about foam insulation so I decided to go for it, partly because it is not possible once the drywall is in place. I will know in a few months if it was worth the extra expense.

Click to expand…

i just did a small insulation project. got a standard bid for $1500 and a spray foam bid for $4500. already wishing I’d gone with the foam.

you don’t have to be a genius to appreciate the physical benefit of seamless insulation.

if i ever build a house my goal is going to be to spend as much of the budget as i possibly can on energy efficiency. few things would make me cackle with delight more than a toasty house with a low heating bill.

Click to expand…

Lots of diminishing returns with this though. You get a lot of bang for your buck initially, then almost zero gain from spending a whole lot more. Basically follows a pareto effect. Cant get too tight or you introduce a bunch of other issues, ventilation, molding, etc….

#187658 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

So I ended up biking about 2.5 hours in the snow today in cotton socks.  I think I’m going to give these Darn Tough socks a try.  Does anyone have a particular tried and true strategy for finding deals for these?  I just have a difficult time making myself fork over >$20 for a pair of socks, even though I know I can afford it.

#188465 Reply
    Molar Mechanic Molar Mechanic 
    Participant

I have several pairs of Balegas, smart wool, etc.  My absolute favorite are Hanes Comfort Blend liner socks.  They are very thin, don’t wrinkle, and wick sweat like crazy.  They wear out quickly, but are so cheap I get joy from throwing them out.  Other benefit, I have a big drawer of the same socks, so laundry is easy.

6 pair for $10, and I choose them over the expensive ones not only at the store, but in my closet.  I’ve run mulitple marathons and an ironman in these, long events aren’t a problem.

https://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/hanes-mens-liner-socks-26151

#188503 Reply
     Kamban 
    Participant
    Glad you mentioned this. I have begun using a filter delivery service and know it will be worth it because I never changed the filters on time before. And I’ve learned that replacing HVAC systems is kind of pricey, not to mention a major hassle.

Click to expand…

Another option is to turn on the filter-reminder inbuilt in the newer thermostats. The Gen III Nest learning thermostats remind you to change the filter based on the amount of time your systems have run. So if you buy the packs of filter at Walmart or Home depot and store at your house, you can change it when the reminder comes on.

#188747 Reply
     BCBiker 
    Participant
    Now for $600 we call a company to string the lights, take them down, and they store them for us in off season so they aren’t in my basement. Happy wife happy life. Worth it. 

Click to expand…

This would be a great post for young hustlers to get ideas for business opportunities. I would have put up your holiday lights for 20 bucks and a 12 pack when I was 18. 🙂

Packaged get-aways for international travel/vacations.  Letting a travel agent give you a tentative itinerary based on a dollar amount and duration; you add/subtract/change as you like.  Convenient, much smaller premium than you would expect, access to events you probably don’t know about!

I have to say that I get about as much joy out of planning a vacation as I do being on it. Currently planning trip to Bali. You would not believe what you can get for $200-500 per night on AirBnB. I don’t think anyone packages these yet but it would be a great service.

#188799 Reply
    Liked by Tim, jfoxcpacfp
     Kamban 
    Participant

Vitamix Vs the $50 Oster blender.

In my mind I could not envisage paying 8 times more for a blender that I thought did the same thing. So I put up with the $50 Oster (two of them)  making lumpy smoothies and thinking it was all that can be done with home made smoothies. Even though I saw the demonstration of smoothies with Vitamix at Costco, I felt that it was a bit gimmicky like those “As seen on TV” products that never work well in real life a they do on the TV screen.

About 4 years ago my wife needed surgery and a friend loaned us her Vitamix so that my wife could get good nutrition with the berry smoothies till she could start eating normal foods. We had it well beyond the time it was needed, and in that time we saw the huge difference between what we had before and what we were having then. Coincidentally Costco had a sale for Vitamix just as we were returning the Vitamix to our friend, and we bought one right away. One of the best $400 purchases we made. We have tried Ninja and Nutri Bullet and similar products and they never come close to the speed and efficiency of Vitamix. The only downside is that your house sounds like a plane revving to take off when you use the machine.

We now avoid desserts at night and instead throw in whatever fruits that are in our house, and drink a smoothie instead.

#189670 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

In my mind I could not envisage paying 8 times more for a blender that I thought did the same thing. So I put up with the $50 Oster (two of them)  making lumpy smoothies and thinking it was all that can be done with home made smoothies. Even though I saw the demonstration of smoothies with Vitamix at Costco, I felt that it was a bit gimmicky like those “As seen on TV” products that never work well in real life a they do on the TV screen.

About 4 years ago my wife needed surgery and a friend loaned us her Vitamix so that my wife could get good nutrition with the berry smoothies till she could start eating normal foods. We had it well beyond the time it was needed, and in that time we saw the huge difference between what we had before and what we were having then. Coincidentally Costco had a sale for Vitamix just as we were returning the Vitamix to our fried, and we bought one right away. One of the best $400 purchases we made. We have tried Ninja and Nutri Bullet and similar products and they never come close to the speed and efficiency of Vitamix. The only downside is that you house sounds like a plane is revving to take off when you use the machine.

We now avoid desserts at night and instead throw in whatever fruits that are in our house, and drink a smoothie instead.

Click to expand…

I have avoided buying one of these kinds of things and a fancy food processor for the same reasons. I still cant believe its hundreds of dollars better…but maybe. I mostly make hot sauces and salsa…though probably not going to be able to grow my own stuff as easily now.

#189671 Reply
    Liked by Kamban
     Anne 
    Participant

About 4 years ago my wife needed surgery and a friend loaned us her Vitamix so that my wife could get good nutrition with the berry smoothies till she could start eating normal foods. We had it well beyond the time it was needed, and in that time we saw the huge difference between what we had before and what we were having then. Coincidentally Costco had a sale for Vitamix just as we were returning the Vitamix to our fried, and we bought one right away. One of the best $400 purchases we made. We have tried Ninja and Nutri Bullet and similar products and they never come close to the speed and efficiency of Vitamix. The only downside is that you house sounds like a plane is revving to take off when you use the machine.

Click to expand…

I love my Blendtec, but my in-laws have an Oster blender that is 50 years old and blends almost as well as a Vitamix, although in smaller quantities.  That thing is built like a tank, and they’ve taken good care of it.  Newer lower to mid range blenders (and everything else) are built to fail.  They just don’t make things like they used to!

#189685 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Kamban
     ifonlyFI 
    Participant

My favorites:

1. Personal trainer or nice gym. $10/ mos gym or treadmill in garage don’t cut it

2. Tesla

3. International business class flights

4. 5 star hotels definitely. Especially internationally

5. Upgraded suite in Vegas

#189695 Reply

Reply To: Which expensive things are high yield?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear