Menu

Which expensive things are high yield?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Which expensive things are high yield?

• Phoenixdown99 Phoenixdown99 
    Participant

1. Travel. I have been to nearly 40 countries. Some of these trips were expensive as they were geared toward a specific experience such as swimming with humpback whales. Spent a lot of money, zero regrets. Hopefully the costs will decrease since as of this year I am now a part-time travel agent and have access to perks.

2. Scuba gear. Life sustaining equipment should be top-notch.

3. Mountaineering gear. See above.

4. My cat. Nice to have a sweet kitty and do a good deed by saving a shelter cat.

5. Gel manicures. They last.

6. Home defense items. Useful and fun. I’ll leave it at that.

#186440 Reply
    Participant

Organic milk – tastes great, seems like it never goes bad.  I’d guess it costs about double, buying from costco.  I probably make up half the cost difference by not constantly throwing out bad milk.  Just not having to sniff before you pour is a life changer.

Click to expand…

Oh, the milk!

@craigy, do you want to really blow the milk budget? Fairlife. They do some filtration process to remove the lactose and double the protein and calcium. Lasts forever (like, 3+ months).

#186446 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, abds
    Participant

Solar panels and EV. Low ROI dollar wise, but erasing the electric bill and not having to go to a gas station for the commuter car is nice(so my wife says).

#186462 Reply
    Liked by ITEngineer
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

Great thread.  I need all new socks.

I spare no expense on my dogs.  Spent $7000 on my Great Pyr/ pitbulls knees.  Lots of Kong toys.

I am closing on a new house.  I have always lived one mile from my hospital.  The new place is 11 miles.  If I start getting frustrated by the commute I will retire.  The new place is very walkable.  Easy walk to restaurants and bars and a greenway trail that runs along a creek.  Great place to retire to.  So I just paid cash.

The new community has a knitting club.  Maybe I will learn how.

I really do not spend much on food or travel.

I have a housekeeper and lawn service.  I have offered my current housekeeper a significant pay bump to come to the new place.  Hopefully she will or I will be looking for a new person.

#186562 Reply
    Participant
    The new place is 11 miles. If I start getting frustrated by the commute I will retire.

Click to expand…

Hopefully the commute might be helped listening to audio-books or podcasts and working 2-3 days a week might help keep up the skills.

I really do not spend much on food or travel.

Click to expand…

I did not travel much till about 10 years ago but once I got the bug I am hooked on it. I am forever fascinated by the natural beauty and different cultures of our world.

#186566 Reply
    Participant
    Solar panels and EV.

Click to expand…

I am installing geothermal heating and cooling as well as doing the foam insulation in my new house. The former is very expensive but hopefully the federal and state credits will go through and make it not too far above a conventional system. Everyone was raving about foam insulation so I decided to go for it, partly because it is not possible once the drywall is in place. I will know in a few months if it was worth the extra expense.

#186570 Reply
    Liked by Hank, Doc Spouse
    Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

nanny for sure.  house cleaner is nice, not a lot of $$ compared to childcare

agree with high quality tools along with toolbox and storage.  recently installed lots of racks and storage in garage and it’s fabulous, would recommend paying for install if you’re not a home improvement wizard.

wine, yes but costco is great.

All clad for sure, some kitchen gadgets are really worth it if you’re into cooking: air fryer, pasta maker, juicer, coffee/espresso maker

TOTO washlet/toilets!!!  OMG

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#186975 Reply
    Liked by Hank
    childay childay 
    Participant
    recently installed lots of racks and storage in garage and it’s fabulous, would recommend paying for install if you’re not a home improvement wizard.

Click to expand…

Thinking of doing similar in our garage, any tips or specifics?

#186983 Reply
    Zzyzx Zzyzx 
    Participant
    recently installed lots of racks and storage in garage and it’s fabulous, would recommend paying for install if you’re not a home improvement wizard. 

Click to expand…

Thinking of doing similar in our garage, any tips or specifics?

Click to expand…

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=saferacks

https://www.saferacks.com/locate-an-installer.php

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#186991 Reply
    Participant
    Disability Insurance

Any recs for those of us currently income challenged (AKA residents)? Sure, I could be throwing every penny after expenses at my loans, but I’m curious any items or perks that people found in residency that was well worth the opportunity cost.

So far, I’ve spent premiums on:

– footcare with a nice pair of Brooks, and SmartWool+Physix socks train (though I think my next pair will be DarnTough) for those long OR days or running around the hospital.
    – Home olympic weight set saves me time and keeps my motivated, even though we have a free gym at hospital.
    – Nice king size bed, love the extra space and feel super well rested even after only a few hours sleep
    – AirPods. Sound quality doesn’t match the price tag but overall not terrible, and the form factor convenience is great
    – Robot vacuum i got for a sweet deal and its nice having a constantly clean floor

Fed $76k @ 5.4% | Private $21k @ 4.9% | LDS $47.5k @ 0%

#187144 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    triad triad 
    Participant

I bought a high pressure shower head.  Every time I get back home from traveling I realize how much I love my shower!  probably doesn’t count as expensive (<$100) and my bedinabox is really nice and a fraction of the cost of the equivalent tempurpedic.

#187340 Reply
    Participant

There are some great answers here! I listed a few things below I am glad I went with quality either for comfort or peace of mind.

1. New tires – I live in a colorado where it snows throughout the winter and take weekend trips to the mountains. I replace tires a little early usually around 50k miles for a 60k mike tire. I feel the car is safer to drive, stops sooner and keeps me from using partially bald tires. Also, I usually get a credit from the tire store as they resell them. Good tires can make an older car ride like a newer model.

2. Good Blinds- I outfitted our house with quality window coverings (plantation shutters) and they have saved on heating and cooling costs while also allowing me to let light in and still have privacy. Totally worth about $8k.

3. Good mattress- self explanatory. We all work hard and the ability to sleep well is priceless. Spend the extra on a good mattress and you will get the return in better/healthier sleep. Also, most quality mattresses will last 10yrs.

4. Good underwear. I saw this thread here and agree good underwear, socks, and T shirts is a must. They aren’t that expensive and feel better to the touch and makes long days a little more comfortable.

5. Good shoes. I only buy Hoka One One. I also replace them 2-3 times per year. Good shoes equals better feet and back. Priceless.

6. Good Pots and Pans. I have found good quality pots and pans make cooking easier quicker and for some reason the food taste better. Easier cooking at home means less eating out which in return helps pay for the more expensive pots and pans.

7. House Cleaning and Lawn Maintenance- at this point in my life I feel the time saved in using these services allows me to spend more time with my wife and kids. It also allows me to look forward to weekend rather than dreading Saturday morning mowing!

8. Holiday light services- This was the second year we paid to have lights hung on the house for the holidays. For 10years my wife has wanted lights on the house. I always dreaded spending an entire day sorting lights, crawling around a very high and icy roof to only be frustrated by the one light that would never work. Now for $600 we call a company to string the lights, take them down, and they store them for us in off season so they aren’t in my basement. Happy wife happy life. Worth it.

#187596 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Now for $600 we call a company to string the lights, take them down, and they store them for us in off season so they aren’t in my basement. Happy wife happy life. Worth it.

Click to expand…

That’s a bargain for a happy spouse. This may be the biggest bang for the buck in the thread.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#187616 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant
    Solar panels and EV. 

Click to expand…

I am installing geothermal heating and cooling as well as doing the foam insulation in my new house. The former is very expensive but hopefully the federal and state credits will go through and make it not too far above a conventional system. Everyone was raving about foam insulation so I decided to go for it, partly because it is not possible once the drywall is in place. I will know in a few months if it was worth the extra expense.

Click to expand…

i just did a small insulation project. got a standard bid for $1500 and a spray foam bid for $4500. already wishing I’d gone with the foam.

you don’t have to be a genius to appreciate the physical benefit of seamless insulation.

if i ever build a house my goal is going to be to spend as much of the budget as i possibly can on energy efficiency. few things would make me cackle with delight more than a toasty house with a low heating bill.

#187643 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Kamban
    Participant

Completely agree with time saving purchases and things that decrease hassle.

Delivered meals for our family after our son was born.

Automated delivery of things we consume regularly: air filters (simplefilterplan.com), formula and diapers, etc.

Packaged get-aways for international travel/vacations.  Letting a travel agent give you a tentative itinerary based on a dollar amount and duration; you add/subtract/change as you like.  Convenient, much smaller premium than you would expect, access to events you probably don’t know about!

Maintenance for sure.  I calculated my pay per hour on average, and if the project is either not enjoyable or less than my pay per hour, then I don’t do it unless I just want to. $600 so I don’t have to cheat death trying to trip/top the trees in my yard.  Absolutely worth it.

Darn tough socks.  Have had a pair of ankle socks for a decade and a half, just now getting a small hole in them.

Benchmade pocket knives.  I’m a redneck and like to carry a pocket knife.  Benchmade griptilian are a buy-it-for-life kind of blade.

Small tokens of affection for my wife.  If she ain’t happy; I ain’t happy.  This is money very well spent.

Good quality cutlery.  I (the man) requested Wustof knives as part of our wedding registry and probably haven’t found a better investment in our kitchen than the knives and block.

My speedmaster.  One nice watch, with chronograph and date, rubber strap.  Excellent warranty and build.  Will be able to leave it to my son. #sorrynotsorry

~A witty saying proves nothing.~ -Voltaire
    http://www.exercisewitharthritis.com

#187647 Reply

Reply To: Which expensive things are high yield?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear