Menu

Where they are now! WCI Forum edition!

Home The Lounge Where they are now! WCI Forum edition!

Participant

Not being in top prep classes, academic competition teams, debate or being in the top 10 qualifies someone as a slacker? Not everyone is interested in all that. I would say that as tried pretty hard, took some but not all the top level classes and had a 3.7 at a rigorous high school. I found college at a public university to be much more motivating and excelled accordingly once I knew I wanted to go in to medicine.

#244642 Reply
    PhysicianOnFIRE PhysicianOnFIRE 

#1: Retired anesthesiologist / personal finance blogger

Other #1 (next best GPA, but also > 4.0): Food chemist of some sort. Own some rental properties

Other other #1: Plant biologist

40-something anesthesiologist and personal finance blogger @ https://physicianonfire.com [Part of the WCI Network] Find me on Twitter: @physicianonfire

FIRE. Financial Independence. Retire Early.

#244644 Reply
    Participant

This is a very illuminating thread. You can be a middling kid for extensive periods and put it together when it matters to have a good career. Still we as parents despite following similar track put an awful lot of pressure on our kids to excell in everything. My kids are still young for that but I always felt “if only I did this or that” with my own young self and think of guiding my kids better. Perhaps my thoughts/plans on such “guiding” are misguided.

Click to expand…

Regarding the kids, I came to a similar conclusion after observation of a lot of my friends. Range from highly educated derelicts to some not so good in school but wealthy from business. Although I was a top achiever academically, it became apparent both kids were going to be less so. Tried to stress instead that they should do well in school to provide themselves options, but that success in a career was likely to come from persistence and hard work. So far so good as both of them are launched, we’ll balanced, and happy.

BTW, to answer the question: chemical engineer, English professor, and me. Several of the top ten went to USNA, but there were a lot of navy families around.

#244659 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Zaphod, jfoxcpacfp
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Can’t say I’ve kept in touch.  I haven’t spend more than 3 weeks in a row in my hometown since the week I graduated.  I’m not really sure who was in the top 5, but checking a few of the likely suspects reveals a Baptist preacher, an accountant, an architect, another accountant, and an indie film editor.

I couldn’t tell you my class rank, but I know I got booted out of the top 25% because I blew off the final exam and took an “F” in an elective class with a “disagreeable” teacher.  I didn’t need it to graduate and was accepted into the only school I applied to.  Showed up for second period the last 10 days of school.

Click to expand…

Ha, I got expelled in 9th grade for fighting, missed the final exams, then got readmitted after some negotiation, because they knew I would perform better than everyone else on the O level (10th grade) finals. On those same finals I insisted that I was not going to take social studies, and they insisted I would have to, resulting in a letter grade that no one had ever seen before: ‘U’ for ungraded. I just drew pictures of T rexs and sharks on the exam sheets. Then I left town to visit my grandmother and they had no one to give the award to. I also had 32 absences that year and 40 the prior year. Good times.

Click to expand…

Really enjoying stories of the rebels on this thread.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#244664 Reply
    Liked by mapplebum
    Participant

freshman year of high school we had 250 students.  Only 150 of us graduated!!

#1- doctor

#2(me) doctor

#3 nurse

#4- Engineer

#5- lawyer

#6- school principal

#10- doctor

thats all i could find on facebook

#244693 Reply
    Liked by mapplebum
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    #1: Retired anesthesiologist / personal finance blogger

Click to expand…

I wonder who that could be 😉

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#245053 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    NaOH NaOH 
    Participant

1) unsure

2) teacher

3) teacher

4) addict

5) unsure

6) military pilot

7) pharmacist

Not sure where I was on the list, nowhere distinguished.

"Don't fear failure - not failure, but low aim, is the crime.
    In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

#245060 Reply
    Participant

A 4.0 gpa sure isn’t what it used to be!
    Load up with AP classes with the multipliers, two hours homework per day in each class that is graded just to satisfy a teacher that wants to be tough, and then “volunteer” for a couple of academic teams. Catch up on sleep between 2-4 on Sunday and keep a positive attitude so great recommendations about your leadership skills being superior to the obvious brilliance!
    The game has changed.

#245076 Reply
    Participant

500 kids or so

1: Engineer

2: Radiologist

3: Lawyer

4: FP

5: Lawyer (married to Anesthesiologist, WCI forum lurker)

75ish: Anesthesiologist, WCI forum lurker

#245087 Reply
    Liked by mapplebum
    StrabismusBusiness StrabismusBusiness 
    Participant

I do remember the top 5 in my medical school class; all ended up as physicians.

#245101 Reply
    Participant

Public school, graduating class of 180 or so…

Valedictorian- went to top Ivy and then top medschool. Does ID nowadays, I believe.

Salutatorian- got into top schools, but went to not-very-good state school for financial reasons and stayed on for medschool, also for financial reasons. Now a program director at a mid to low tier academic IM residency program.

There are least twenty doctors from my HS class, including two people scraping the bottom. About the same number of lawyers, a few PhDs, a couple of nurses, a few writers, and a few teachers. Weirdly, two Hollywood types have each won an Emmy.

#247876 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Pretty prolific turnout at that school.

#247886 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

Public school with a graduating class of 450.  20 tied for valedictorian including me.  3 of the 20 became doctors.  Several engineers. Several lawyers.  No one became famous or won an oscar or an emmy.  My best friend who was one of the 20 became a lawyer and died at 43 of breast cancer.

#247907 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

20 – wow! And I thought the trend for multiple valedictorians started when my kids were growing up!

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#247914 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

By the time my kids get to high school everyone will be valedictorians.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#247922 Reply
    Liked by JBME

Reply To: Where they are now! WCI Forum edition!

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear