Menu

Where they are now! WCI Forum edition!

Home The Lounge Where they are now! WCI Forum edition!

• Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

What’s up with all the high school slackers who went on to medical school?  Maybe you guys were saving up your academic energy?  I graduated from a large public school.  Top 10 or so could have gone anywhere for college.  Some chose “elite” schools while others of us enjoyed attending large public universities.  Top 10:  3 SAHMs, 3 dentists, 2 scientists, an engineer and I don’t know about the other.  The middle of my graduating class produced a few physicians.  I didn’t know them because they weren’t in any of my advanced/college prep type classes, didn’t do debate, and weren’t on any of the academic competition teams.  Again, what’s up with the slackers-turned-physicians?  I will say most of the people who became hugely successful in terms of money were in the middle of the class.  They became entrepreneurs and business owners–in some cases with no college education.

Click to expand…

I was enjoying life and oblivious. Playing sports and doing a lot of clubbing. Its too easy to skate in school, and plain boring if there isnt an outlet for your brain.

It wasnt until I got my girlfriend pregnant I decided I should start thinking about getting a serious job and consider going to school.

#243959 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

bloomer academic part. Being good at school is one thing. Being a good thinker and doer are another. I was good in school but didn’t translate well to standardized tests. Later bloomed in Med school. I think motivation has a lot to do with it, be it academic or financial . The folks who were middle of the pack in high school probably found more interests and a better e

Click to expand…

I was the opposite, did first 10 years of school in another country where the only thing that counts is your final exam, and the ‘valedictorian’ in a class size of, eh, 50?. 11/12th grade in the US was a pain with all the assignments and quizzes and other nonsense. Awful GPA, 99%ile ACT/SAT scores. College, better GPA, but it was really the MCAT that got me in to med school, where I did the least I could to get by.

But hey, you know what they call the guy who graduates at the bottom of the med school class?

#243971 Reply
    Participant
    I was the opposite, did first 10 years of school in another country where the only thing that counts is your final exam, and the ‘valedictorian’ in a class size of, eh, 50?.

Click to expand…

At least you had a class size of 50, I was in a school where the graduating class was 7, which was better than 5 they had the year before. And never even heard the word valedictorian then. The final centralized and standardized exam scores was the only thing that counted for admission to medical school along with an entrance exam multiple choice test.

Me – med school

#2 – moved North, no idea what happened to her.

#3 med school with me, now an Ob-Gyn in Middle East.

#4 Married an army officer, became housewife.

#5 Got into my med school a year later on his second attempt and now an ENT in England.

#6 started to show signs of depression, kept herself confined to home a few years later and one day committed suicide. That one affected me deeply. She was really a sweet, kind girl.

#7 Did not pursue much education. Went to some sort of business and slowly lost touch with him.

#243980 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, legobikes
    Participant

Went to a HS that was like a magnet school. Only 92 people in my graduating class (although most class sizes were bigger…around 135-150). We also didn’t do class rank because due to the nature of the school, everyone had relatively high GPAs and 100% of graduating classes went to college. Pretty much everyone had a GPA of 3.0 or higher. To be fair, they basically kicked out kids with lower grades. anyway, some of the top people in the class who had incredibly high SAT scores (like 1500+) and GPAs of 4.0:

went to MIT undergrad, then WashU for med school and now works at MassGeneral

five went on after undergrad into PhD programs (including me except I didn’t have a high SAT score or 4.0)

One ended up as a movie producer who has gotten an Oscar

One went to a prestigious law school after dropping out of his PhD program at Berkeley. While in law school (year 2) he was rounded up by the feds and thrown in jail for being a key meth supplier for a large city in the United States. He did his time and was actually accepted back into the prestigious law school with the backing of several well-respected professors. He graduated and now clerks for a judge in Hawaii. There are second chances people! (this guy was a good friend and was going to be a groomsman in my wedding before he got arrested and I found out all that had gone down)

#243987 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Molar Mechanic Molar Mechanic 
    Participant

Can’t say I’ve kept in touch.  I haven’t spend more than 3 weeks in a row in my hometown since the week I graduated.  I’m not really sure who was in the top 5, but checking a few of the likely suspects reveals a Baptist preacher, an accountant, an architect, another accountant, and an indie film editor.

I couldn’t tell you my class rank, but I know I got booted out of the top 25% because I blew off the final exam and took an “F” in an elective class with a “disagreeable” teacher.  I didn’t need it to graduate and was accepted into the only school I applied to.  Showed up for second period the last 10 days of school.

#244017 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

I went a tiny private HS, less than 20 in grad class.

#1: works in theater in NYC, it was her dream to do so

#2: teaches art classes

#2 (tie): owns a boutique store in a major metro

others:

-PhD in organizational design but not sure she works

-2 docs myself a friend who is a very successful and happy PP urologist

-professional gambler who lives as an expat on gambling earnings

-FBI special agent who was also one of my close friends, I never knew how competitive this was or what a cool job it is, def underpaid though I think my senior residents make almost as much

-I think 1 SAHM but not sure

-lawyer who I think is a DA

-some others but not sure where they are or what they are doing

#244163 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    PP urologist

Click to expand…

Heh.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#244179 Reply
    Participant

I only remember the top three.

#1 – Me, academic oncologist

#2 – Physics PHd, lead scientist on a project at the JHU APL

#3 – Actuary

#244180 Reply
    Participant

No idea either as far as highschool goes.  I’m not very good at keeping up with social stuff like that.  One of the guys I went to college with was probably top 1 or 2 people in our graduating class.  He was insanely smart and took all of the college’s hardest classes for fun…and still got straight A’s.  He never got anything below an A except for an A- in biology 101 his freshman year.  It was the bane of his existence the rest of his college life.  He scored perfect on the MCAT, didn’t even go to medical school.  He just took it to show off I’m pretty sure.  He ended up going to graduate school to get his PhD in something (he was a biology major).  I lost contact with him after college.  I’m glad people like him go into research.  That’s the type of person we need actually coming up with treatments and guidelines and writing text books.

#244187 Reply
    StrabismusBusiness StrabismusBusiness 
    Participant

Reading this thread makes me want to undergo a cognitive assessment.

I am 24/20 years out and I cannot remember who was in the top 5 of either graduating class [other than it was not me].

My own cognitive decline vs. did not matter that much to remember [probably both]?

I am in agreement with the idea throughout the thread: as with stocks, past performance is not indicative of future results.

#244190 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Can’t say I’ve kept in touch.  I haven’t spend more than 3 weeks in a row in my hometown since the week I graduated.  I’m not really sure who was in the top 5, but checking a few of the likely suspects reveals a Baptist preacher, an accountant, an architect, another accountant, and an indie film editor.

I couldn’t tell you my class rank, but I know I got booted out of the top 25% because I blew off the final exam and took an “F” in an elective class with a “disagreeable” teacher.  I didn’t need it to graduate and was accepted into the only school I applied to.  Showed up for second period the last 10 days of school.

Click to expand…

Ha, I got expelled in 9th grade for fighting, missed the final exams, then got readmitted after some negotiation, because they knew I would perform better than everyone else on the O level (10th grade) finals. On those same finals I insisted that I was not going to take social studies, and they insisted I would have to, resulting in a letter grade that no one had ever seen before: ‘U’ for ungraded. I just drew pictures of T rexs and sharks on the exam sheets. Then I left town to visit my grandmother and they had no one to give the award to. I also had 32 absences that year and 40 the prior year. Good times.

#244231 Reply
    Participant

This is a very illuminating thread. You can be a middling kid for extensive periods and put it together when it matters to have a good career. Still we as parents despite following similar track put an awful lot of pressure on our kids to excell in everything. My kids are still young for that but I always felt “if only I did this or that” with my own young self and think of guiding my kids better. Perhaps my thoughts/plans on such “guiding” are misguided.

#244438 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Click to expand…

Ha, I got expelled in 9th grade for fighting, missed the final exams, then got readmitted after some negotiation, because they knew I would perform better than everyone else on the O level (10th grade) finals. On those same finals I insisted that I was not going to take social studies, and they insisted I would have to, resulting in a letter grade that no one had ever seen before: ‘U’ for ungraded. I just drew pictures of T rexs and sharks on the exam sheets. Then I left town to visit my grandmother and they had no one to give the award to. I also had 32 absences that year and 40 the prior year. Good times.

Click to expand…

I was stopped last quarter of school senior year by the principal and told if I missed any more classes/days they wouldnt graduate me. I couldnt seem to get to school before lunch (was hungry), was definitely having too much fun and working a lot.

#244444 Reply
    StrabismusBusiness StrabismusBusiness 
    Participant

HumbleInvestor, as a parent, I struggle and think a lot about the same ideas you describe!

#244451 Reply
    Participant

No idea. I decided to take a summer school class and head off to college in September. So I can’t tell you rank, could be the top or bottom since I was the only one from my high school. One of my hs buddies did stay and spent sometime at MIT getting his math PhD then started a think tank in Boston that I ran into when my employer bought them out. Not sure if he was Val, probably. Works for Google now. Probably paid to solve problems that the software and hardware engineers debate about. He picked up some EE degree alone the way.

I did have a frat bro that did two terms in Fed prison for bank robbery (roommate for a year in college). He was the chief of staff or PR spokesman for a congressman when he got picked up. Should I call that a 10 year full ride? I think his bail was originally paid by another frat bro in DC (headed up the the tax committee for the House).

Never went to a hs/college/grad graduation. Always did hurryup summer graduation.
    Unranked-insufficient data

#244641 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp

Reply To: Where they are now! WCI Forum edition!

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear