Menu

Where they are now! WCI Forum edition!

Home The Lounge Where they are now! WCI Forum edition!

Participant

This was fun to think back to my friends in high school.  I’m probably one of the younger residents on this forum, so high school wasn’t that long ago!

#1 studied economics and business at University of Chicago
    #2 Physical Therapist (DPT)
    #3 PhD biochemistry candidate at Wash U
    I forget who was exactly #4-5, but others in the top included a biology researcher at Northwestern, one at U of Michigan Law School, one is a sports broadcaster for a major network, one in medical school. I was #8.

#243795 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant

Catholic boys’ school with graduating class of about 250.

Valedictorian: Internist

Salutatorian (me): Cardiologist

#3: A good friend, now an anesthesiologist and pain mgmt MD

#4: Don’t remember who this was

#5: Went to Cornell and majored in engineering. Came home, married high school sweetheart and took engineering job. Don’t know what happened after that.

#10: My best friend, a brilliant guy who was brighter than #1 through #9 — and everyone else that I’ve ever met. He earned a PhD in physics. He died of cancer at 57. It’s still hard to believe.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#243804 Reply
    Participant

No idea except that the “most likely to succeed” is a physician and then there is me… out of a class of 560+

At the high school reunion, multiple different people, different times, said “YOU are a doctor?!?!” with a surprised look on their face. Guess that is what happens when you may or may not have made the top 10% and you were the class clown!

#243840 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Did anyone else think this would be a Crixus thread?

#243842 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

My good friend was a valedictorian. Went to Stanford and now has a biology related job of some type at a West Coast University. I have no idea what anyone else in the class of 400+ (including me) was ranked. Same with college and med school. Well, at least all those med school folks became doctors anyway. I think I was probably barely into the top 25% in med school, but most importantly, I was always one of the first three done with the tests and only the first four got a place at the foosball table. It was always a pain to wait for that fourth guy. It took forever. The first three guys went into EM, Anesthesia, and EM if you’re wondering. Nobody ever accused us of being indecisive.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#243848 Reply
    Participant

Great, another thread to highlight my lack of connectedness and introversion.

I went to a couple hs reunions. I think at the 5 year there were like 40 or 50 (out of 400) who were interns…yup you read that right. I recognize people at conferences but cant place if I know them from high school, college, or med school.

It’s funny that you guys know your rankings. All I know is that I wasn’t one of the 90-100 national merit semi-finalists in my class, so I’ll assume I wasn’t top quarter.

Fancy pants sci/tech high schools….

#243850 Reply
    Participant

I was in the top 5% or so, but couldn’t tell you much else. The one classmate I stay in touch with farms. I do recall a former colleague who graduated from a rural public school with 20! I wonder if he was top 5%…

#243855 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Though, I think you meant “edition.”

Click to expand…

Yup, I proof read my forum posts less then my clinic notes.  Dragon does some funny things.  Maybe a mod can fix.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#243859 Reply
    ACN ACN 

Class of 600ish

#1 – physical therapist
    #2 – civil engineer

#38ish – me

Two of my friends ranked around me are anesthesia and derm. Three of my other friends ranked in the 100s are 2 teachers and a radio morning DJ/personality.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#243860 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    Though, I think you meant “edition.”

Click to expand…

Yup, I proof read my forum posts less then my clinic notes.  Dragon does some funny things.  Maybe a mod can fix.

Click to expand…

Done. I was most likely to succeed and that’s about all I remember. High school was soooo long ago! Still live in the same town but haven’t been to a reunion since #20. I’ve got your back, @g!

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#243871 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I was our class president.  A few people were upset with me for not organizing a 10 year reunion.  But I was out of state, a resident, and just had my first kid.  I got a few more years until 20.  Even then I wish one of the people who stayed local would set it up.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#243874 Reply
    Participant

What’s up with all the high school slackers who went on to medical school?  Maybe you guys were saving up your academic energy?  I graduated from a large public school.  Top 10 or so could have gone anywhere for college.  Some chose “elite” schools while others of us enjoyed attending large public universities.  Top 10:  3 SAHMs, 3 dentists, 2 scientists, an engineer and I don’t know about the other.  The middle of my graduating class produced a few physicians.  I didn’t know them because they weren’t in any of my advanced/college prep type classes, didn’t do debate, and weren’t on any of the academic competition teams.  Again, what’s up with the slackers-turned-physicians?  I will say most of the people who became hugely successful in terms of money were in the middle of the class.  They became entrepreneurs and business owners–in some cases with no college education.

#243952 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

What’s up with all the high school slackers who went on to medical school?  Maybe you guys were saving up your academic energy?  I graduated from a large public school.  Top 10 or so could have gone anywhere for college.  Some chose “elite” schools while others of us enjoyed attending large public universities.  Top 10:  3 SAHMs, 3 dentists, 2 scientists, an engineer and I don’t know about the other.  The middle of my graduating class produced a few physicians.  I didn’t know them because they weren’t in any of my advanced/college prep type classes, didn’t do debate, and weren’t on any of the academic competition teams.  Again, what’s up with the slackers-turned-physicians?  I will say most of the people who became hugely successful in terms of money were in the middle of the class.  They became entrepreneurs and business owners–in some cases with no college education.

Click to expand…

I had a better GPA in college than high school (3.8 vs 3.7). Some of us are late bloomers I guess. Dunno.

I agree a super high high school GPA is far from indicative of later success, even academic success.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#243955 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I was always one of the first three done with the tests and only the first four got a place at the foosball table. It was always a pain to wait for that fourth guy. It took forever. The first three guys went into EM, Anesthesia, and EM if you’re wondering. Nobody ever accused us of being indecisive.

Click to expand…

Me as well. Always waiting for others to join the post test foosball game.

#243957 Reply
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

I was always intrigued with the late bloomer academic part. Being good at school is one thing. Being a good thinker and doer are another. I was good in school but didn’t translate well to standardized tests. Later bloomed in Med school. I think motivation has a lot to do with it, be it academic or financial . The folks who were middle of the pack in high school probably found more interests and a better environment in college and beyond.

Earn everything.

#243958 Reply

Reply To: Where they are now! WCI Forum edition!

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear