Menu

When to refinance student loans

Home Student Loan Management When to refinance student loans

Participant

I am starting an attending job in August. Part of my pay is a 30000 loan repayment.

I need to refinance my loans again based on my new salary. I am wondering if I should put the 30k to the loans and then refinance or refinance and then put the 39k in. Or does it not matter?

#220878 Reply
    Participant

It won’t matter. Both are going towards lowering the principle on the new loan.

#220892 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    Participant

Can you just plug both refinance amounts in on the “check your rate” page and see if you save much in interest?

#220896 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

Send the check now.

Always make your extra payment before you refi.  It’ll give you a lower balance and give you better terms on the new loan.

It’ll take longer to refinance than it takes for you to send in an extra payment.

Even when you can get a refi done quickly, it usually takes some period of time for the new loan to fund and the other to be paid off (i’ve seen as long as two months).  Meanwhile you’re paying interest on that extra balance.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#220952 Reply
    Liked by Tim

Reply To: When to refinance student loans

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear