Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

What's with this CBD oil fad?

Home The Lounge What's with this CBD oil fad?

Participant

Everyone and their dog seems to be either taking or asking about it? I can’t get some of these high risk patients to take their statin or get a flu shot, yet they will lap up some non-FDA approved chemical from some health food store.

#237969 Reply
    Liked by CM, hatton1, Peds, Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Placebo is a powerful thing.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#237971 Reply

CBD flu vaccine….. brilliant!

#237973 Reply
    Participant

I’m no medical doctor, but I know ten or so 50 somethings that use CBD cream topically for pain. The oil does not appear to be as effective. It may be placebo, but it appears work on some pains but not others for the same person, so at least it is not just a placebo effect. I’d love to see a true blind study done on the efficacy.

#237978 Reply
    Participant

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/science-vs/wbhj24

This is the podcast “Science Vs” and their episode about CBD oil. It’s pretty interesting. Published in November of last year, so I’m unsure if there are any new studies.

Their episode on essential oils is also good.

#237982 Reply
    Participant

“But doc, it’s all natural!”

”Yeah, so is arsenic.”

#237987 Reply
    Liked by NYCdoc
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

You haven’t heard? CBD treats everything! CAD? CBD! Uncontrolled pseudoseizures? CBD! Fibromyalgia? CBD. Morgellon’s Disease? CBD. Hairy palms? CBD!

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#237991 Reply
    Participant

Ya I’m not sure if people think theyre getting high from it? People talk like it’s magic

#237997 Reply
    Participant

Just had a gal this week who is 91 with some wicked genu valgum d/t medial knee jt degeneration. She reports the only thing that eases her pain is CBD Cream.

Becoming more and more of a fad it seems…

I’ll report back what my chiropractor thinks after I see him this week for my Hypothyroid prevention adjustments.

#237999 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Call me sceptical but when something sounds to good to be true it usually is.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#238000 Reply
    Jaqen Haghar, MD Jaqen Haghar, MD 
    Participant

One of the guys at my gym started taking it.  Swears by it now.  Says he sleeps great on it.

Now he shows up late, looks mildly disheveled, drones on about all kinds of nonsense.  He does act more relaxed, but man, he’s behaving noticeably different.

And I’m not joking.  He just acts mildly high.

#238002 Reply
    Liked by Kamban, hatton1
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

One of the guys at my gym started taking it.  Swears by it now.  Says he sleeps great on it.

Now he shows up late, looks mildly disheveled, drones on about all kinds of nonsense.  He does act more relaxed, but man, he’s behaving noticeably different.

And I’m not joking.  He just acts mildly high.

Click to expand…

sounds like he might just be doing the real stuff

#238016 Reply
    Liked by Anne, adventure
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

It might work but what’s the long term negative effects… No one knows.

#238038 Reply
    Liked by Panscan
    Participant

My state just approved medical marijuana, but the 2 major hospital systems in town vowed not to prescribe it since it is still against federal law. I also live in a very conservative city. That being said, I’ve spoken to said very conservative people in passing about this, and they’re in support of CBD use because they’ve seen family members do much better on the CBD oil than when they were on opiates.

When it comes to evidence based vs placebo, I think many on here would admit they practice some medicine that is largely anecdotal and not evidence based. They also may do things based on standard of care and not most recent best evidence.

So, it’s probably best to put this in the basket of “we don’t know” rather than completely dismiss it.

If you haven’t read about Emil Freireich, MD, here is his story and his major contribution to treating childhood leukemia

https://www.mdanderson.org/publications/annual-report/annual-report-2015/the-man-who-helped-cure-childhood-leukemia.html

No, I’m not confusing treating leukemia with any of the potential uses of CBD oil. I’m making a point to allow studies to prove or disprove its use.

#238044 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

THC seems amazing for pain/anxiety and frankly people choose it over opioids. Im a fan of neither but I think potheads are probably less of a drain/loss to society than opioid addicts.

CBD, unsure, but if anything, I’d not be absolutely shocked it has some ability in a neurocognitive realm, after all, we know empirically thats where marijuana works. Of course it doesnt work for >99% of the stuff they say it does.

Yes, a ton of things we do are anecdotal and placebo and it truly shocks me how many are unwilling to see it.

#238049 Reply
    Liked by hatton1

Reply To: What's with this CBD oil fad?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear