Menu

Whats the mileage on your car? And when do you decide to replace?

Home The Lounge Whats the mileage on your car? And when do you decide to replace?

• Neuro Neuro 
    Participant

Follow up from a conversation with my car mechanic the other day. According to him – one should change cars at 10 years or 150K whichever comes earlier. My answer with the newer cars is that they should be fine for 200K if not more.

My commute is minimal. I drive 10-15K every year and am currently at 60K in 5 years. I can easily use the same car for 15 years and still not reach 150K.

#206591 Reply
    Liked by E5797
    Participant

I have a Year 2000 and 2007 cars that run well. I will replace it when the cost of repairs make it not worth it for me. Till then I will keep them running.

MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I would brace yourself for 3 pages of posts about how my [199x] [make] [model] with 200,000 + [X] miles is still running great but I personally don’t fetishize driving something crappy when you can afford not to.

DK Unger DK Unger 
    Participant
    Status: Website Sponsor, Insurance Agent, Small Business Owner
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I would say it’s time to buy a new/used car when the cost to run the current car exceeds the cost of buying a new/used car. I recently had to replace an alternator on my Acura with ~140K miles but that is much more cost-effective than buying another car.

#206597 Reply
    Liked by wonka31
    Participant

I’ve got a 2007 4Runner with 156k miles. It drives just fine.

VP of Shoreside Operations for an inland marine company. Husband to an A/I Physician.

#206598 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

My wife had a 15 year old camry just shy of 200k that we replaced when I finished training.  I had a crappy ford focus that had about 80K and the plan was to keep it as long as possible.  Well… a month after replacing my wife’s car we find out it was a twin pregnancy.  So now I have 2 new cars and I hope to keep them for a long while.

But I agree when you have a car that constantly needs work it makes sense to just get a new one.  It may be cheaper to put band aids on the car but your time is valuable too.  There are a lot worse things then changing cars every 10 years.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#206601 Reply
    Participant

I would brace yourself for 3 pages of posts about how my [199x] [make] [model] with 200,000 + [X] miles is still running great but I personally don’t fetishize driving something crappy when you can afford not to.

Click to expand…

🙂

2006 with 205,000 mi

plan to get 250,000 which will be 3 more years, then my daughter will get it and i will use it only for winter driving, skiing, etc (has snow tires and AWD).

#206602 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Click to expand…

🙂

2006 with 205,000 mi

plan to get 250,000 which will be 3 more years, then my daughter will get it and i will use it only for winter driving, skiing, etc (has snow tires and AWD).

Click to expand…

yeah yeah yeah 😀

let me guess the ski resort is uphill both ways?

#206605 Reply
    Participant

My wife had a 15 year old camry just shy of 200k that we replaced when I finished training.  I had a crappy ford focus that had about 80K and the plan was to keep it as long as possible.  Well… a month after replacing my wife’s car we find out it was a twin pregnancy.  So now I have 2 new cars and I hope to keep them for a long while.

But I agree when you have a car that constantly needs work it makes sense to just get a new one.  It may be cheaper to put band aids on the car but your time is valuable too.  There are a lot worse things then changing cars every 10 years.

Click to expand…

I drove a camry for 13 years, a little less than 200K miles, the only issue I had was later in its life the AC didn’t work well, the car literally drove like new the entire time that i owned it. The thing is, a car at that point starts to feel old, and Fatlittlepig started to wonder why am I driving this old car, money at some point is to be spent, Fatlittlepig went to dealer and wrote a check for a car (price<30K) in and out in about a couple of hours. the camry sold on craigslist in 2 days.

#206611 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

i wonder if we show the other docs in the physician lounge this thread how many will vote that posters here are nutso.

you guys are awesome.

replace somewhere in the ten year range.  mileage less important than phone integration and traffic updates on nav system and stuff like that.

says the guy with newer car but no trunk release and no heated seats.

🙂

#206613 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Ha, very true. @jz said it I believe, you’re either paying maintenance or depreciation.

Have a 2009 I think with 110k, its a hunk a junk and not long for this world, but is really just our second backup car for in town errands and such now.

A 2013 with 70k, will keep this car a while since it runs great, and we dont drive it too much over the next couple years I’d guess.

I think I am going to replace that 2009 with a truck if/when it becomes more costly to operate than just replace. For some reason, trucks finally seem reasonably priced.

#206614 Reply
    Neuro Neuro 
    Participant

Agree with q-school. Apple play and updated navigation software and electronics are the only things I miss.

#206615 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Do you actually use navigation software from the car manufacturer? With Google maps I thought that built in navigation was pretty pointless.

Just got rid of 2002 with 120k when it would no longer go over 30 mph.

#206625 Reply
    Liked by Kamban
    Participant

16 years, 190k miles

Looking at my nerdy spreadsheet total operating costs (insurance + maintenance + gas) in 2017 was $2256 and in 2018 was $2018 (what are the chances?)

I’m not a car person and car shopping is not my idea of a good time.

My car doesn’t feel old to me.  She’s as comfortable as she always has been, and has been reliable since day 1.  That’s really all I care about.

Besides, when I finally do get a new car, how will I listen to all my CDs?

#206626 Reply
    Neuro Neuro 
    Participant

Not really. However – I have seen the possibilities of apple carplay. Would be a nice addition.

#206629 Reply

Reply To: Whats the mileage on your car? And when do you decide to replace?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear