Menu

What's my next step?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting What's my next step?

Participant

“you can always add slightly more international or reits if you wish”

This technique adds “tilt”, not diversification. Not sure a 10% tilt ($500) is worth the time to enter a separate order (1% alpha covers you 4.99 fee).

#219687 Reply
    Participant

Since you have minimal obligations, front load that as much as within your spending reason.   At your income and obligations (no debt, no kids, small mortgage), you have quite a lot of latitude.  The unknown is over the past 2 years, did you sock away that $150k+ excess to pay down debt or blow it on lifestyle expenses.

What Tim said — doesn’t sound like you have a retirement budget plan.  Start with that.  Now that you’re 2 years out, you’ll have a better sense of job, place, social, and living habits.   Budget what you’ll need post retirement, then work backwards from there and that will tell you what your savings rate spread out over time needs to be.

#220123 Reply
    Participant

For taxable, I should pick municipal bonds correct?

To answer some questions:

Going to open solo 401K

Yes, I paid off my student loans in 1.5 years.

I get nervous about putting so much into the stock market. Looking into tilt and REIT.

Thanks everyone!

#220604 Reply
    Participant

VTEB

For my taxable account. What do you guys think?

#220606 Reply
    Participant

“Looking into tilt and REIT”
    Why? Both are in the market. You can do this, just curious why you thinks it’s preferable. If the AA makes you nervous, too much equity and more bonds is the solution.
    Just saying.

#220608 Reply
    Participant

And if you’re serious about Real Estate and have the time, do real estate directly of syndicated.    eg; we developed equities first, then branched into real estate directly.  Currently assets not including pensions is about evenly split 50/50 Real Estate/Equities.

#220624 Reply

Reply To: What's my next step?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear