Menu

What to do with current investments going into med school

Home Beginners Helping Beginners What to do with current investments going into med school

Participant

I’m an incoming MS1 and I have almost 100k saved up which is currently invested mostly in VTSAX but also in a few individual stocks. I’m hoping to stretch this money as much as possible to cover living expenses through all four years of med school.

My thoughts: I feel like my current portfolio has way too much risk for what I’m about to use it for. Would it make sense to move it all into something like bonds? Or even something less risky? Would I be missing out on too much opportunity for growth if I did something like that? Alternatively, if we have another 2008 level financial meltdown, I’d be pretty much screwed no matter where I put the money, right? But stuffing it all under a mattress seems a bit drastic.

Do I just keep it all in VTSAX and pray the stock market doesn’t shit the bed?

Where would you put it to make sure it grows a little during school, but won’t evaporate when you need to pay the rent?

#206022 Reply
    Participant

Vanguards Money Market Account? I think it is getting 2+% interest

#206046 Reply
    Participant
    mostly in VTSAX but also in a few individual stocks. I’m hoping to stretch this money as much as possible to cover living expenses through all four years of med school.

Click to expand…

being 100% stocks, let alone individual stocks, is not recommended for a known set of money you will need over 4 years.

Would it make sense to move it all into something like bonds?

Click to expand…

yes. anything fixed income would be better.

Would I be missing out on too much opportunity for growth if I did something like that?

Click to expand…

yes, that is the point. safety right now > growth. this is a 4 year timeline. not 40.

if we have another 2008 level financial meltdown, I’d be pretty much screwed no matter where I put the money, right?

Click to expand…

no. cash would lose 0% (quiet inflation!)

Do I just keep it all in VTSAX and pray the stock market doesn’t shit the bed?

Click to expand…

sigh, no.

Where would you put it to make sure it grows a little during school,

Click to expand…

i think some VMMXX, some total bond would be fine. or all VMMXX. or all ally. heck, leave 10-20% in stocks if you want.

many alternatives. none of them involve 100% stocks.

#206049 Reply
    Participant

Any asset you intend to use within 3-5 years should not be invested in the stock markets. Currently short-term bonds, short-term bond funds, short CDs and money markets are all yielding ~ 2% .  Don’t be greedy.

#206066 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Hopefully you can sell these without tax consequences.  If you are a student and do not have much or any income and the basis is high enough you could mover it all at once.  If you do not know what I am talking about you might need some help so you do not get taxed.

I agree I would move everything you plan to spend in the next 5 years to a MMF.  If you want to get cute and mix in some bonds and leave a little in stock you can but it is a risk.   Having that kind of money going into med school is a huge blessing.  Do not screw it up.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#206073 Reply
    Participant

You say you are going to use the money for living expenses, so you plan to spread the use out over 4 years.  Are you taking loans for tuition?  Wouldn’t it make more sense to use more of your saved up money in the first 1-2 years for tuition + expenses, so that you can take smaller loans those years?  Then take larger loans out years 3-4.  That way you aren’t paying interest as long on the loans from the first two years.  I would hold back some money (maybe 5-10,000) for an emergency fund.

#206084 Reply
    Liked by Tim, jz
    Participant
    Disability Insurance
    Are you taking loans for tuition?  Wouldn’t it make more sense to use more of your saved up money in the first 1-2 years for tuition + expenses, so that you can take smaller loans those years?  Then take larger loans out years 3-4.

Click to expand…

Unless OP can get subsidized loans for all 4 years (due to lower amount needed) and would have to take out unsubsidized loans or private loans in years 3-4…

#206086 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

I appreciate the responses. After looking up some things on my own, a MMF is seeming like the most attractive option. Regarding what I’m doing for tuition, I had the great fortune of receiving a full tuition merit scholarship, so my goal now is to graduate debt free.

#206099 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB, jz, Echo, Lordosis
    Participant
    Are you taking loans for tuition?  Wouldn’t it make more sense to use more of your saved up money in the first 1-2 years for tuition + expenses, so that you can take smaller loans those years?  Then take larger loans out years 3-4. 

Click to expand…

Unless OP can get subsidized loans for all 4 years (due to lower amount needed) and would have to take out unsubsidized loans or private loans in years 3-4…

Click to expand…

I may be wrong, but I don’t think subsidized loans exist anymore. The last one I was able to get was in 2011, for a whopping 2% of my total loan burden.

#206118 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Take 40/50k and move it to a safer vehicle, keep the rest in VTSAX or such for your future. If you have enough earned income for 2019, consider doing a Roth Ira contribution (even if it means selling VTSAX for that) and same thing for the year you start residency. Congrats on getting a merit scholarship!

#206136 Reply
    Participant

Take 40/50k and move it to a safer vehicle, keep the rest in VTSAX or such for your future. If you have enough earned income for 2019, consider doing a Roth Ira contribution (even if it means selling VTSAX for that) and same thing for the year you start residency. Congrats on getting a merit scholarship!

Click to expand…

Is the 40/50k supposed to cover living expenses? Because I’m moving to a very high cost of living area. Thank you!

#206140 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Yes

#206145 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

When you are a student you can live cheaper almost anywhere. People expect you to be scrounging by on borrowed money. No one has to know that you actually have the means to live better.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#206146 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant
    I may be wrong, but I don’t think subsidized loans exist anymore.

Click to expand…

My bad… I’m older!

#206247 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

Reply To: What to do with current investments going into med school

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear