Menu

What tires do you use?

Home General/Welcome What tires do you use?

Participant

We are a Subaru family and we are all up for new tires.
    We live in a Northern State with hot summers and lots of snow and ice.

Narrowed it down to the costco version of the all season Michelin Defender T+H (X Tour) for my wife (in town driving, some highway). I travel more on the highway and was thinking about the highly rated all-weather tire Michelin CrossClimate+.
    We have no interest in the hassle and cost of 2 pairs (summer/winter). The all-weather seems like a good compromise as it specializes in winter driving but can be used year long.

Anyone have experience with the latter?

#230097 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Bump! Are there some Michelin users hanging here who can opine for @emscout?

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#230233 Reply
    lots of snow and ice.

Click to expand…

sounds like a perfect candidate for snow tires…

#230235 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

I think that the other tire thread pretty clearly showed that everyone basically evaluates their tire purchases by nearly entirely subjective feelings of performance and safety.  Sometimes that is augmented by doing some online research (consumer reports, etc..)

So, I don’t think anyone here is going to really give you anything great to go with.

I personally use some sort of all season Michellin from costco on my cars.  They seem to drive well under a variety of conditions and I’m still alive.   Not sure how much that helps, but that’s all I know.

#230236 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    lots of snow and ice.

Click to expand…

sounds like a perfect candidate for snow tires…

Click to expand…

@peds – this is bizarre. I have no snow and ice opinion. But I don’t think you really intended that. No clue how it showed up under my screen name.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#230237 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    Participant

Click to expand…
    I think that the other tire thread pretty clearly showed that everyone basically evaluates their tire purchases by nearly entirely subjective feelings of performance and safety.  Sometimes that is augmented by doing some online research (consumer reports, etc..)

Click to expand…

yeah, I was ignoring because of the recent six page thread.

plus, I really didn’t know where to go after this portion:

specializes in winter driving but can be used year long

Click to expand…

but, jfox, because you asked: “high performance” bridgestone summers, “high performance” bridgestone blizzaks.  costco with rebate.

#230239 Reply
    Participant

G,

Sorry, I did not notice the recent thread. I will take a look.
    The All Weather tires (just a handful exist) are in fact more of a winter tire that can be driven year long. There is a market that exists of drivers that would prefer one set of tires for the entire year. All-season tires are not engineered for ice/snow. All weather tires are. I agree the best tire for the snow is a snow tire. The second best tire is an all-weather tire.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15338788/all-weather-tires-explained-merging-all-seasons-and-winter-tires/

#230242 Reply
    uptoolate uptoolate 
    Participant

Michelins generally.  The CrossClimate+ is reportedly an outstanding tire and Costco has it so I am going to put it on my daily driver but given that I am retired I can choose not to go out in the middle of a snowstorm anymore.  Our other two vehicles have Michelin Premier A/S in summer and X-Ice 3’s for the winter. As good as the CrossClimate+ is supposed to be (it has softer rubber for cold weather driving but apparently still wears quite well), I don’t think it can be as good as snows in bad winter weather.

#230243 Reply
    Participant

Thanks. Agreed, no way the crossclimate+ is as good as winter tires. It does appear to be the 2nd best option.

My costco does not carry the crossclimate+. What State are you in (or country)? I wonder if I can ask them to order it even if it is not listed on costco.com if it sold at other shops.

G, I read the 6 page thread from July 4th. Did not deliver as the conversation was taken off topic 🙂

#230244 Reply
    Liked by G
    uptoolate uptoolate 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Yes I’m in Ontario, Canada.  When Michelin started selling the CrossClimate+ in North America they only had a limited number of tire sizes. This year they have made more sizes available. I think the tire was originally released in Europe. I think I saw it listed when I checked out TireRack last year looking to see if they had additional sizes in the US.  They didn’t at that time but they did have them in the same sizes as in Canada IIRC. I’d check with them.

#230247 Reply
    Participant
    Did not deliver as the conversation was taken off topic

Click to expand…

yeah, the off-topic issue was kind of the point of ignoring this thread…. 😉

I live in a place where we have a fair bit of snow; the major roads usually get cleared up quick-ish, but there will often be compacted snow in our neighborhood for quite awhile.  we have summer and winter tires for all vehicles.  I see the data (taken with a grain of salt, from the tire companies), but I definitely notice a difference qualitatively.  For snows, traction (getting started, making it up the driveway, and staying on line for a turn).  And for summers, much quieter, better gas mileage, and definitely less drag/rolling friction (I have a particular corner coming home that I use as a yardstick)…I’ll just assume they’re safer (?).

the hassle of swapping is a non-issue.  I just coordinate it with oil change, so an extra 60 min a year?  it’ll take a heck of a lot longer to dig out of a ditch, or put on chains, or deal with insurance/repairs after a wreck.  for similar reasons, the cost is a non-issue.

my analogy: I wear basketball shoes to play basketball, climbing shoes to climb rocks, running shoes to run, dive booties to dive….

#230250 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Thanks!
    Tirerack has my size. They appear to be the exclusive vendor in the States. Maybe I’ll make a trip to Costco Canada 😉

#230251 Reply
    Participant

G,

I appreciate your perspective. Out of curiosity, where do you store the sets in the off-season? I see the logic in your argument and perhaps can reconsider.. we have a few more months.. or do we? Never know anymore.

#230252 Reply
    Participant

stacked in the garage.  the winters (and the summer racers) wear fairly fast, so there are often only 2 sets sitting around between the 3 vehicles….

#230256 Reply
    Participant

We are a Subaru family and we are all up for new tires.
    We live in a Northern State with hot summers and lots of snow and ice.

Narrowed it down to the costco version of the all season Michelin Defender T+H (X Tour) for my wife (in town driving, some highway). I travel more on the highway and was thinking about the highly rated all-weather tire Michelin CrossClimate+.
    We have no interest in the hassle and cost of 2 pairs (summer/winter). The all-weather seems like a good compromise as it specializes in winter driving but can be used year long.

Anyone have experience with the latter?

Click to expand…

hassle? expense? dedicated snow tires are a no brainer.

#230262 Reply

Reply To: What tires do you use?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear