Menu

What kinds of life-style creeps would you have with increasing net worth

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting What kinds of life-style creeps would you have with increasing net worth

Participant

Question for those that have it. We have two kids under 2, if my wife and I got Global Entry/TSA precheck, do we need to get it for the kids as well? Or are they able to ‘tag along’ with us?

#225024 Reply
    Participant

For Precheck passengers (some times non family members as well) on the same conformation number will get the precheck. Global entry is individual. If you dont travel much internationally GE is useless.

#225033 Reply
    Participant

Got it. In that case might just do the GE for us for now and get it for the kids in a few years. Thatll allow us to use the precheck with them for domestic while also being able to take advantage of GE when the wife and I travel internationally

#225052 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

If you can get past the whole “biometric scan” heebee jeebies, Clear is a great addition to TSA Precheck / Global Entry.  It’s not available everywhere, but Delta put a substantial investment into the company a couple of years ago.  Kids do not need to have the biometric scan, which would be a deal-killer for me.  Oh, one last thing.  You have to get over all the dirty looks as you cut the line in front of all the other TSA Precheck folks….

#225068 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Question for those that have it. We have two kids under 2, if my wife and I got Global Entry/TSA precheck, do we need to get it for the kids as well? Or are they able to ‘tag along’ with us?

Click to expand…

for tsa, age 13 and over need their own the last i checked.

#225070 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant

Global entry is individual. If you dont travel much internationally GE is useless.

Click to expand…

I would not put it quite as useless. GE is all TSA Pre has to offer plus the additional faster reentry from abroad for just $20 more for 5 years. The only drawbacks are that you have to go to a nearby qualified airport for a cursory interview and should have a valid passport.

For those who travel as a family internationally the better option, which is free, is Mobile Passport. I found it even faster to get through than Global entry. Just have all info stored on the phone. Open app as you are landing and check off/ fill the <5 questions and when the plane lands and as soon as you get cell phone reception or wifi – hit send. By the time you get off you have the QR code and all you need is to walk though the special lane, scan it and show the passports to the officer and off you go with a printed ticket to collect your luggage. Less than 3 mins at our last reentry.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

#225101 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Once I surpassed the $10M mark, my desire is now lifestyle anti-creep. I wish to unload the mansion (but can’t get my wife on board yet), trade in the current Ferrari, 2 BMW’s, Benz for something more modest. It’s not the financial milestone, I’m just more intolerant of the hassles that go with owning stuff. Most of this was accumulated close to a decade ago so that wisdom came in my late 30’s.

The one thing we are not retreating on are vacations, 4 this year including upcoming to southern Europe and Greek isles.

#225133 Reply
    Participant

For those who travel as a family internationally the better option, which is free, is Mobile Passport. I found it even faster to get through than Global entry. Just have all info stored on the phone. Open app as you are landing and check off/ fill the <5 questions and hit send when the plane lands and as soon as you get cell phone reception or wifi – hit send. By the time you get off you have the QR code and all you need is to walk though the special lane, scan it and show the passports to the officer and off you go with a printed ticket to collect your luggage. Less than 3 mins at our last reentry.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

Click to expand…

Thank you- I took a look and it sounds great. Had never heard of it before. We fly overseas at least once a yr with the family.

Blogging and videocasting about the basics of personal finance at http://physicianfinancebasics.com

#225307 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

We have been using Global entry, TSA precheck, and more recently Clear which puts you in front of anyone waiting in the TSA precheck line. At airports with Clear, I have gone through security in less than 90 seconds on multiple occasions. It’s great and I highly recommend it.

#225358 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant
    Thank you- I took a look and it sounds great. Had never heard of it before. We fly overseas at least once a yr with the family.

Click to expand…

It is really very good. The beauty is that you can store both parents and all kids info ( the phone camera reads the bar code below your photo and decodes all the info) in both parents phone in case one of them runs out of juice during the flight. Also you can check which child is traveling with you and leave out the ones that have chosen to stay behind, in case you have college and school age kids. I have hit send while the plane was taxiing and the QR code came back even before I stood up on the plane.

The only major omission I saw was that Charlotte Airport was not in it though for some strange reason Raleigh Durham is included in it.

And yes, it works well for single people and couples too. The beauty for families is that you can hit send for 2 parents and 4 kids with one click and get the 6 QR codes within a minute or two.

#225373 Reply
    Participant
    In an earlier life she was our nanny when our children were little and we needed help with childcare.  When our children were too old for a nanny, she went to work for another family until one day she called and said she missed our home because it felt like her home also.  So she returned to work for us and the position evolved to what it is today.

Click to expand…

We had our nanny for the last 12 years… in January she got another job at the hospital, since my kids needed her less and less but she still comes by twice a week to help with Laundry and housekeeping. She folds laundry, puts it away, and straightens up once a week and the other day she does the same but with a deeper clean. I couldn’t do it without her. Once the kids are out of the house, I am not sure I can justify her but I do NOT want to start having to fold laundry… I really dislike it!

I have not had much lifestyle creep yet… as I am working on paying off a rental property (hopefully by December…) so that it can fund the kids college education (along with the 529 and UTMA already set up) and then our “doctor” house. Once those are paid off… then business/first class here we come! My husband still drives a 2001 car… which he loves, but would be nice to upgrade. He also has some old Land Cruisers, which are fun to drive but could use a nice paint job… might splurge on that!

#225412 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant
    I want to hear about the 4K toilet 

Click to expand…

The Toto toilet is popular.  I’m a midwesterner Kohler girl since i grew up in the area….so mine is a Kohler…i wasn’t sure i like the shape of this one, but it’s 8K…so i ended up with a tad cheaper one.

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/numi-comfort-height-one-piece-elongated-dual-flush-intelligent-toilet-w-skirted-trapway-and-premium-remote/productDetail/toilets/1334091.htm?skuId=1334087

Click to expand…

LOL @ a bluetooth toilet

#225450 Reply
    Participant

We are at 1/5th of our FI number and currently have a nanny, weekday cook (1 hour), weekly house cleaning service, twice a month gardening service, and weekly home delivered organic groceries from a nearby farm.

#226180 Reply
    Liked by q-school
    Participant

This entire thread makes me want to move out of California and into LCOL. Yes my weather is perfect but I think I’ll be folding laundry for the rest of my life.

#226238 Reply
    Liked by benign_user

Reply To: What kinds of life-style creeps would you have with increasing net worth

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear