Menu

What kinds of life-style creeps would you have with increasing net worth

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting What kinds of life-style creeps would you have with increasing net worth

• abds abds 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

But after that outburst, this is an interesting thread to me. I don’t necessarily break it down directly by net worth but have definitely noticed little things creeping for me. I guess it’s indirectly related to net worth, but I think of it more as meeting my savings goals, being debt-free (other than mortgage), and having extra money that I don’t feel bad (as bad) about spending.

Country club, expensive car, etc, sure, but those were very conscious decisions about where I was financially. What I’ve noticed more and more is myself buying 2 pairs of golf shoes and instead of returning one (or both), I like both and so I keep them both, even though I absolutely don’t need them. I think my mindset is that I save more every month than I ever thought possible, so although I could still save even more and retire earlier, I like to enjoy myself. That is my lifestyle creep.

#224898 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    IntensiveCareBear IntensiveCareBear 
    Spectator

I’d travel  to more swinger parties and resorts if I had the time and the extra money. I’d upgrade to VIP more often. I’d probably even host some parties too, but there is just so much that goes into it. Parties would probably quadruple my housekeeper bill and grocery bill. It’s not in the cards right now…

Don’t you know what it means to become an orgy guy? It changes everything. I’d have to dress different. I’d have to act different. I’d have to grow a mustache and get all kinds of robes and lotions and I’d need a new bedspread and new curtains. I’d have to get thick carpeting and weirdo lighting. I’d have to get new friends. I’d have to get orgy friends…. Naw, I’m not ready for it.

"Hmm, that sounds risky." - motto of the middle class

Participant

ICB, your posts are always odd but this one is the winner for most bizzare.

TSA pre check changed my life, flying with little kids. $80 for 5 years, EVERYONE should get it!

We got a weekly cleaner after our second kid. I’ve taken several months off work several times over the past 5 years, I have a laid back work schedule . . . Pretty sure I’m living my best life now 🙂 Don’t see it changing as the networth increases but rather as the kids grow up we’ll do international travel which I currently avoid because I don’t hate myself enough to do with little kids 😉

Participant

Live where I want to live, near my family, not in flyover.

#224922 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant
    Full-time personal assistant/household manager. 

Click to expand…

What would this full-time assistant do, how much would they cost?

Click to expand…

I was just about to ask the same!

Click to expand…

Like a secretary, but for your life.  Typically under six figures.

Click to expand…

I am not sure of the correct title for the job, but our full time everything person is our professional chef preparing healthy, delicious meals, shopping for food at the supermarket and the specialty stores, cleaning and organizing the house, waiting for the sprinkler company or the delivery person, picking up the dry cleaning, taking the car to be washed, and whatever else you can think of.

In an earlier life she was our nanny when our children were little and we needed help with childcare.  When our children were too old for a nanny, she went to work for another family until one day she called and said she missed our home because it felt like her home also.  So she returned to work for us and the position evolved to what it is today.

Participant

Nexus is $50 for 5 yrs and gets you precheck. If you travel internationally, highly recommend Global Entry and Business Class Travel. If you are a business owner, run your expenses through miles earning card. Have not paid for a business class ticket in few years and even ponied up for tickets to extended family. (My SO restricts it to immediate family for now).

As for the OP question, more vacations is the only creep I anticipate as my SO and I determined we like middle class life/meals over restaurants that need reservations. I probably will sponsor vacations to other extended family members and my office staff once SO allows it.

#224927 Reply
    Participant

So far these are real creeps…..if my NW doubles my “would” is fly private jet…..:

1) All travel first/business class  (yes @Vagabond you need to do it!)

2) Multiple gym memberships and a Peloton…. never restricted to times or types of classes…i basically can go wherever I want when i have the time

3) Full smorgasbord of TV and radio entertainment (cable with premiums, Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Sirius XM radio, Amazon Prime)…..ability to watch whatever I want

4) our cars are “higher end”..but we basically buy a car every 15 years……have had some even longer..in the time we buy one car many families will have gone through 2-3….

5) Some expensive things in the house that I never would have purchased with a lower net worth…like a 4K toilet.

6) our dogs eat really well (expensive frozen food).

7) expensive tix for concerts, theater, sporting events…i don’t sit in the nose bleed section anymore

#224934 Reply
    Liked by PhotonsRGR8
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

I don’t really know. I think I’ve already done this to some extent. I have significantly limited the big expenses, so blowing $200+ on a concert, dinners out, etc don’t effect me a ton. Having said that, first or business class flights sound like the bomb.com. I also may eventually get a nicer car. I wouldn’t necessarily do it in a stepwise fashion based on net worth, however.

#224936 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

So far these are real creeps…..if my NW doubles my “would” is fly private jet…..:

1) All travel first/business class  (yes @Vagabond you need to do it!)

2) Multiple gym memberships and a Peloton…. never restricted to times or types of classes…i basically can go wherever I want when i have the time

3) Full smorgasbord of TV and radio entertainment (cable with premiums, Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Sirius XM radio, Amazon Prime)…..ability to watch whatever I want

4) our cars are “higher end”..but we basically buy a car every 15 years……have had some even longer..in the time we buy one car many families will have gone through 2-3….

5) Some expensive things in the house that I never would have purchased with a lower net worth…like a 4K toilet.

6) our dogs eat really well (expensive frozen food).

7) expensive tix for concerts, theater, sporting events…i don’t sit in the nose bleed section anymore

Click to expand…

I want to hear about the 4K toilet.  We want a Japanese toilet when we redo the master bath but I am tired of having any type of renovation at all after spending the bulk of last year redoing our kitchen and tearing out half the house so that’s gotta wait.

#224937 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

ICB, your posts are always odd but this one is the winner for most bizzare.

TSA pre check changed my life, flying with little kids. $80 for 5 years, EVERYONE should get it!

We got a weekly cleaner after our second kid. I’ve taken several months off work several times over the past 5 years, I have a laid back work schedule . . . Pretty sure I’m living my best life now 🙂 Don’t see it changing as the networth increases but rather as the kids grow up we’ll do international travel which I currently avoid because I don’t hate myself enough to do with little kids 😉

Click to expand…

I’m going to go not very far out on a limb and hazard a guess that he isn’t kidding, or at least not kidding much.

Participant
    I want to hear about the 4K toilet

Click to expand…

The Toto toilet is popular.  I’m a midwesterner Kohler girl since i grew up in the area….so mine is a Kohler…i wasn’t sure i like the shape of this one, but it’s 8K…so i ended up with a tad cheaper one.

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/numi-comfort-height-one-piece-elongated-dual-flush-intelligent-toilet-w-skirted-trapway-and-premium-remote/productDetail/toilets/1334091.htm?skuId=1334087

#224942 Reply
    Liked by Anne
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

As I think about it, I wonder if I was more extravagant when I was younger and human capital seemed unlimited. As the finish line grows nearer, lifetime income and peak nest egg seems more finite, just looking at the question from the opposite perspective.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#224943 Reply
    Participant

The @intensivecarebear post, at least the second half, was from a Seinfeld episode.

The first part though was all his (her?) imagination…or subconscious.

#224958 Reply
    Participant

“The first part though was all his (her?) imagination…or subconscious.”

Or maybe it is simply mellowing in old age.

#224968 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

Well I am considering changing out the tile backsplash in my kitchen for no reason except I could find another tile that I like better.  I pretty much have everything that I need.  I have a great housekeeper and an OK lawn service.

#225022 Reply

Reply To: What kinds of life-style creeps would you have with increasing net worth

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear