Menu

What Index funds do you have in your portfolio

Home General Investing What Index funds do you have in your portfolio

Participant

The mantra has been – do not buy individual stocks or actively managed funds but only index funds.

Well, the problem is that there are a ton of index funds. If you look at Vanguard there are 31+ index funds. And their 10 year returns are all over the map.

I am forced to move one of my former work place 401K to Vanguard. Has probably 45K. Trying to find the right mix of funds for growth and not needing to take it out for 15+ years.

So what set of index funds do people here have?

#30068 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

I would start with the big ones:

• Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund
    • Vanguard Total International Stock Market Index Fund
    • Any of the Vanguard bond funds act like an index fund (low cost, low turnover, broadly diversified) whether they say “index” in their title or not.

If you want to slice and dice your portfolio, popular choices are the Vanguard Small Value Index Fund and the REIT Index fund along with the Developed Markets Fund and Emerging Markets Index Fund.

But first you need an asset allocation before choosing investments. Then choosing investments is the easy part.

Also, be aware that rolling money from an old 401(k) to a traditional IRA at Vanguard is going to screw up your backdoor Roth IRA options. Might be better to leave it, roll it into your new 401(k), get some self-employment income and open up an individual 401(k) and roll it in there, or just pay the taxes and convert it all.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#30074 Reply
    Participant

I have TIEIX(TIAA-CREF Equity Index Fund Institutional Class), VBTIX(Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Institutional Shares) in my 403b.

And in my IRA and taxable account I have VTIAX(international), VTSAX(total stock market), VBMFX(total bond), VGSIX( REIT)

#30080 Reply
    PhysicianOnFIRE PhysicianOnFIRE 

I have total market / S&P 500 (TLH partners) and 2 international funds (TLH partners) in taxable.

I have small cap value, REIT, and emerging markets in Roth.

401(k) / 457(b) have a total bond fund, mid cap index, and small cap index.

Taxable
    VFIAX
    VFWAX
    VTMGX
    VTSAX
    Roth IRA
    VSIAX
    VEMAX
    VGSLX
    401(k)
    VBMFX
    VSCIX
    457(b)
    VMCIX
    VSCIX

40-something anesthesiologist and personal finance blogger @ https://physicianonfire.com [Part of the WCI Network] Find me on Twitter: @physicianonfire

FIRE. Financial Independence. Retire Early.

#30082 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

“Forced to” more like “have the wonderful opportunity to” move to Vanguard.   😉

For me:

VFIAX – Vanguard 500 Index

VMVAX – Vanguard Mid-Cap Value Index

VSMAX – Vanguard Small Cap Index

I got my employer’s plan administrator to add Vanguard Small Cap Value Index too, so will be able to have that soon.

I also have some Vanguard ETFs in another account.  I still feel like I am missing something on ETFs  😛

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#30094 Reply
    Participant
    Also, be aware that rolling money from an old 401(k) to a traditional IRA at Vanguard is going to screw up your backdoor Roth IRA options. Might be better to leave it, roll it into your new 401(k), get some self-employment income and open up an individual 401(k) and roll it in there, or just pay the taxes and convert it all.

Click to expand…

Unfortunately the money was in a holding company who would have invested in funds of their choice by 11/25 if I had not rolled over into Vanguard.

I plan to convert all my different IRA’s into Roth next year and use it mainly to leave it as inheritance. Just waiting for the right year to make sure that my tax bracket is not too high.

#30215 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

This is what I have (with overall percentages).  My portfolio is kind of a mess due to multiple TLH partners and so many different accounts.

401(k)/457(b)

SCHZ .1251

VIIIX .1058

SCHH .0461 

ROTH IRA

VBR .0893

VNQ .0172

VB .0131

HSA

VBMPX .0132

TAXABLE

SCHA .1385

VSS  .0982 

SCHB .0878

VWO  .0834 <–> SCHE .0087

VO .0565 <–> SCHM .0154 

SCHV .0427

VEA  .0358 <–> SCHF .0053

IWN  .0180    

#30230 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

My retirement accounts and largest taxable accounts are at Fidelity, so my largest pure index funds are Fidelity Spartan Index Funds: total stock market, total bond market, and total international stock. That said, my largest holdings are the DFA Core Stock II fund (including the tax managed version in my taxable account) and the Bridgeway Omni Small Cap Value fund (again including the tax managed version in my taxable account). Both of these funds were obtained when I used an advisor.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#30233 Reply
    DMFA DMFA 

US equity:
    VTSAX
    FXSIX (403b)
    TSP C

Int’l equity:
    TSP I

Domestic fixed income (just a little):
    BND
    TSP G

Pretty typical, really

"I like money." - Frito Pendejo (Idiocracy)

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#30257 Reply
    Participant

I wouldn’t put the REITs in taxable.

Click to expand…

Yeah, the REIT is the IRA not in the taxable.  Also have some TIAA Real estate fund(QREARX) in 403b,.

#30286 Reply
    Participant

vb
    Vbr
    Schc
    Schd
    Sche
    Vnq
    Vnqi
    Rzv
    Vti
    Vwhex
    Schf

Bonus individual holdings:
    Aapl
    Gm
    Fcau

Can’t help myself. There’s a justification for all of the components – for whatever it’s worth.

#30393 Reply
    Participant

Any of you have index funds in a taxable portfolio for 10 years or more. Can you run a report and see what returns that they have given you.

#30404 Reply

Reply To: What Index funds do you have in your portfolio

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear