Menu

What do you have in your Roth

Home General Investing What do you have in your Roth

Participant

What funds are people using for small-to-mid cap value?

#178733 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

In decreasing order – SCHH, VBR, IVOV (plan to change this back to VOE in 10 days to avoid a wash sale), SCHV, SCHC, and VSS.

#178734 Reply
    Participant

Why bonds in a Roth? Good question, reasonable question. Well, I don’t have a ton of bonds, but most of my bonds are in IRAs.  I was very glad to have those bonds (anywhere) the last few months. Where should bonds go? Non-Roth IRAs (yes I have some here too)? After tax accounts (yes I have some here too).

Most of my bonds and value stocks are in IRAs because they are not as tax efficient as stock index funds, or at least that is my rational. Is that crazy? Question for the pros: where are your bonds?

Click to expand…

bonds can go wherever you want but from a tax standpoint it is ideal to have tax-free bonds (like munis) in a taxable account and other bonds in tax sheltered accounts.

#178737 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, hatton1
    Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

I guess my question really is what part of the total stock market would be beneficial to put in the Roth.  Large cap, Mid, Vs Small?  Does it really matter?  I do not really want to value tilt or tilt to anything else.  I just want to replicated the TSM.

#178839 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I guess my question really is what part of the total stock market would be beneficial to put in the Roth.  Large cap, Mid, Vs Small?  Does it really matter?  I do not really want to value tilt or tilt to anything else.  I just want to replicated the TSM.

Click to expand…

You could argue that putting SCV in Roth is the best way to maximize the tax-adjusted return of your portfolio.  But then if you are trying to replicate TSM across your whole portfolio you would have to compensate elsewhere, presumably by tilting to large and growth in taxable.  That may also be more tax-efficient in the end.  Overall though I think you will judge it is not worth the hassle.

#178846 Reply
    Participant

How much of a value tilt did you do?  I’m considering a value tilt in each of my accounts.  I’m doing DFA target value I at 15% in my 401k right now (only good small value option offered and I’m always hearing good things about DFA).  I’m thinking of doing the same in my Roth (probably vanguard small cap value or VIOV) and taxable (IJS or VIOV).

#179117 Reply

Reply To: What do you have in your Roth

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear