Menu

What do you have in your Roth

Home General Investing What do you have in your Roth

• Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

My equity is 75% total stock market and 25% International.

It is not that simple because I do not have access to VTSAX in any of my work accounts so I mimic it with the Vanguard 500 and extended market.  And in my 457 with mid and small cap funds.

Right now I have VTSAX in my Roths.  But since I have that in my taxable it may cause some TLH issues.

Question 1; What part of the total stock market should I have in the Roth?  And I can just balance that with my other account.

Question 2; What other fancy things/tilts do people use their Roths for?  I am more curious and not really planning on tilting.

Thanks for the help!

#178658 Reply
    Participant

PoF recommends small & mid cap value stocks, emerging markets, REITS and bonds here

#178661 Reply
    Liked by snowcanyon

All Roth funds are equities. About 60-40 US-INTL. Only total market index funds.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#178664 Reply
    Liked by snowcanyon
    Question 1; What part of the total stock market should I have in the Roth?  And I can just balance that with my other account.

Click to expand…

should? any part. yes you can use it to supplement or tilt.

Question 2; What other fancy things/tilts do people use their Roths for?  I am more curious and not really planning on tilting.

Click to expand…

REITs.

#178669 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Total market.  Small cap value.

#178674 Reply
    Liked by snowcanyon
    Participant

My Roth has only Vanguard’s REIT fund in it.  I don’t have any options for REIT funds in my other retirement accounts, and it’s not something I’d want to hold in taxable.  And right now I don’t have a high enough balance in my Roth to justify any diversification.

#178678 Reply
    Liked by mayojayo
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

My equity is 75% total stock market and 25% International.

It is not that simple because I do not have access to VTSAX in any of my work accounts so I mimic it with the Vanguard 500 and extended market.  And in my 457 with mid and small cap funds.

Right now I have VTSAX in my Roths.  But since I have that in my taxable it may cause some TLH issues.

Thanks for the help!

Click to expand…

I have REITs and small value in one and the other is all small value. I’ve considered putting hard money loans in there too since that’s my only option for a tax protected account that could hold that asset class. Right now they’re in taxable.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#178680 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Total stock and small cap.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#178681 Reply
    Participant

Vanguard Target Retirement 2025. Same as my 403b, 457b, and 457f as well as my wife’s 401k and Roth. (Makes asset allocation easy.)

#178691 Reply
    Liked by bean1970, NaOH
    Participant

REITs (30%), Small Caps (20%), Total Stock Market (35%), Emerging Markets (15%)

#178692 Reply
    Participant

REITs, international small cap, and a small gamble on energy.

#178696 Reply
    Participant

In my Roth IRA:

Stocks:

Vanguard total international stock index (VTIAX)

Vanguard small-cap index fund admiral (VSMAX)

Vanguard small-cap value index fund admiral ( VSIAX)

Vanguard Mid-cap value index fund admiral (VMVAX)

Vanguard value index fund admiral shares (VVIAX)

Vanguard total stock index admiral shares (VTSAX)

Bonds:

Vanguard total bond market index admiral shares (VBTLX)

Vanguard ultra-short-term bond fund index admiral shares (VUSFX)

My total portfolio is 80-85% stocks and 15-20% bonds

Stocks are 70-30 US: international with a factor lean toward small and value

#178702 Reply

Why are there bonds in your rIRA?

#178716 Reply
    Participant
    REITs (30%), Small Caps (20%), Total Stock Market (35%), Emerging Markets (15%)

Click to expand…

Similar, but instead of total stock market, I have S&P500 fund (VFIAX).  This is so I can leave it on autopilot reinvesting dividends and not have to worry about creating a wash sale in my taxable account where I use total stock market (VTSAX) and large cap index (VLCAX) as tax-loss-harvesting partners.

Also, I use a small cap value fund instead of a small cap fund.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

#178718 Reply
    Participant

Why bonds in a Roth? Good question, reasonable question. Well, I don’t have a ton of bonds, but most of my bonds are in IRAs.  I was very glad to have those bonds (anywhere) the last few months. Where should bonds go? Non-Roth IRAs (yes I have some here too)? After tax accounts (yes I have some here too).

Most of my bonds and value stocks are in IRAs because they are not as tax efficient as stock index funds, or at least that is my rational. Is that crazy? Question for the pros: where are your bonds?

#178730 Reply

Reply To: What do you have in your Roth

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear