Menu
The forum is temporarily closed for new topics and comments. We are working on improving your forum experience. Stay tuned!

What constitutes compensation re: NRAT contribution?

Home Retirement Accounts What constitutes compensation re: NRAT contribution?

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Thanks to the awesome and voluminous info on here and on other blog sites, I’ve learned a lot about the much-coveted non-Roth after-tax contribution to a solo 401k.  I understand that the non-Roth amount that can be contributed can be 100% of compensation, as long as you don’t exceed the $56k/$62k limit for 2019.

What I’m still somewhat unsure about is what is meant by compensation.  Is it net profit after business deductions?  Is it net self-employment income (net profit x 0.9235)?  Is it the net adjusted business profit (net self-empl income – 0.5SE tax)?  Help!! 🙂

#237943 Reply
    Participant

The relevant number is compensation available for annual additions. There are two complications:

• Employer contributions reduce compensation available for employee + employer annual additions.
    • For > 50% owners of businesses, 403b annual additions reduce the business owner’s annual additions.

First, self-employed earned income = business profits – 1/2 SE taxes.

The maximum employee after-tax contributions for self-employed individuals owning > 50% of their business(s), is the lesser of:

• Earned income – employee elective contributions – (any employer contributions * 2).
    • The annual addition limit (2019 = $56K) – 403b annual additions – employee elective contributions.

If you have no 403b annual additions, you will require a minimum of $70K in self-employed earned income to maximize employee after-tax contributions.

For example, $70K in self-employed earned income = $70K * 20% = $14K maximum employer contributions, compensation available for annual additions = $70K – $14K = $56K in compensation.

#237954 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp, Peds
    Participant

I meant for self-employed gig.  I am confused about your scenario above:  Earned income – employee contrib – (any employer contrib *2)

Where did the *2 come from?

I thought the maximum non-Roth after tax amount for a sole proprietor 1099 only (no W2 work) was:  $56k – $19k employee deferral – pre-tax profit sharing (i.e. 20% of [net profit – 1/2SE] ).  So, in your example above, wouldn’t the max non-Roth allowed be  $56k – $19k – $14k = $23k if the doc only had the $70k self-employed earned income without any W2 income?

#237968 Reply
    Participant

As I already explained.  Self-employed employer contributions reduce compensation available for annual additions and then the employer contribution itself reduces the annual addition space available for other contributions. In this case employee after-tax contributions. That is why you must deduct 2X the employer contributions from self-employed earned income.

In my example, the maximum employee after-tax contribution is $56K – $19K – $14K = $23K. However, that is because there is self-employed earned income of $70K – $14K employer contribution = $56K compensation >= the $56K annual addition limit.

My point was that you need to keep in mind that if your self-employed earned income in 2019 is < $70K. Your maximum employee after-tax contribution would be limited. You need to understand that there are two annual addition limits. The lesser of the statutory limit (2019 = $56K and 100% of compensation

For example, if your self-employed earned income is $50K. Then your maximum employee after tax contribution would be $50K – $19K – ($10K * 2 = $20K) = $11K. This is because the $10K employer contribution reduces annual addition compensation to $50K – $10K = $40K. Then an annual limit of $40K – $19K – $10K = $11K.

For 2019, if your self-employed earned income is > the annual addition limit ($56K) * 1.25 >= $70K, then your maximum employee after-tax contribution is $56K – employee elective contributions – employer contributions.

#237989 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Reply To: What constitutes compensation re: NRAT contribution?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear