Menu

What Career besides medicine/dentistry would you recommend to your children?

Home The Lounge What Career besides medicine/dentistry would you recommend to your children?

• Hank Hank 

If lawyers were competent at math, then they could have been accepted to medical or dental school.  Nearly every plumber, electrician, or carpenter knows what he makes per hour (plus benefits).  Lawyers bill a ton of hours, work even more hours to earn billable hours, and focus on their salaries while losing focus on net after-tax earning per hour worked.

While plenty of doctors work beaucoup hours hours during residency and possibly as an attending, the earnings floor and job security for most medical specialties are better than hourly wage and job security for most attorney jobs.

Electrical engineers, aerospace / astronautical engineers, and even mech guys make decent starting salaries.  If engineers want to make more than ~$200-250K, they either need to invent new things or learn to lead other engineers. An MBA is useful, but leadership in engineering is a little bit like leadership in accounting:  stare at the other guy or gal’s shoes instead of your own so it looks like you aren’t a total introvert.

Being truly fluent and conversant in written and spoken idiomatic American English is a bonus too.  Technical competence plus confidence to lead a small to mid-sized team opens up plenty of opportunities for $250-350K per year in total compensation. Beyond that point, it’s a question of climbing the corporate ladder or taking part in an IPO.

#197179 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, octopus85
    Participant

1. No idea what I’d do, it’s actually scary to think about as medicine fits me well and it’s positives (pay, job security) are hard to ignore.  Probably still something healthcare related, maybe PA, which I had no idea existed back then.

2. No idea as well.  I have colleagues who say they should’ve done something else but overstate their salary potential elsewhere, or understate job security/options.

For kids, I say do what they want, what they’re good at or what makes them happy and fulfilled.  Teaching, engineering, the trades, firefighter, whatever.  I won’t discourage medicine nor something lower paying.  I plan to work hard, save, plan well and leave behind a little something for my kids so that they don’t have to worry so much about money.

#197230 Reply
    Participant

Nursing; pharmacy

#197277 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    pharmacy

Click to expand…

I wouldn’t be quick to jump on pharmacy. Pretty much the entire profession of pharmacy has a grim outlook for their own profession.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#197295 Reply
    Participant

Either choose something that is very difficult to automate, or become the engineer who figures out how to optimize the automation.

And whatever you do, don’t go into tons of debt getting there.

#197296 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I’d probably recommend politics. Lots of money to be made there. I’m only half joking.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#197297 Reply
    Participant

Yea. No to pharmacy right now

It’s a big mess as the for-profit schools are pumping kids out like crazy

That plus automation plus large corporations and hospitals makes it a profession I would have serious concerns about going forward

I’m going to push medicine 🙂

#197298 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Pharmacy jobs are hard to come by in my area now.
    Nursing will always be a needed and safe job. Done well can make good money too.
    If there was no medicine I would probably be a high school chemistry teacher. Pay stinks but lifestyle would be much better and I think I would enjoy it for a full career.
    However teacher jobs are hard to come by now too.

Who knows. My oldest is 4 so I will look at this issue again next decade.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#197303 Reply
    Participant

Business.

The way more and more physicians are becoming employed and increasing healthcare costs do not bode well for the future of our profession.

#197313 Reply
    Participant

If you’re capable of med school/dental school there is nothing better that will still pay lots despite lack of social, business, financial, marketing skills.  The skills that are required for most other fields to kill it at the same level.  Average MD or DDS pay is top tier of all other fields.  I think burn out and fatigue is quite real but most jobs are absolutely terrible and to rise to the top of that field is in my opinion harder than being average MD or DDS.

#197326 Reply
    Liked by octopus85
    Participant

I discourage most of my students from going into my field of work (not medicine). I had a freshman announce to me at the beginning of this semester that he’s switched his major from Physics to a double major in Communications & my field with a double minor in Spanish and Computer Science. He then admitted that he’s accruing $20k debt a year to go to this private college. I resisted telling him to transfer to the local state school (moral hazard: I told another student to do that last semester) but strongly encouraged him to focus on Computer Science. It’s tricky because it seems one of my closest colleagues has encouraged him to join the department even though he’s NOT a good fit but I must tread lightly. I still told the chair and head of education I do not support this decision.

Anyway, depending on the student’s skills and debt load I usually encourage them to look into: speech pathology, audiology, nursing, accounting.

#197358 Reply
    Participant

It’s kind of hard to give advice on a career. I’d say pursue your interests. But above all, learn how to network and build relationships. Learn business skills and study how business works.

I would say not to depend solely on an employer for a job. Learn how to network and keep your options open. Anything can happen at any time. Just my thoughts!

Mobile Home Gurl
    Get my free book: http://www.adventuresinmobilehomes.com/free

#197397 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Do not choose pharmacy. You’ll thank me later.

#197431 Reply
    Participant

I’d recommend modest generational wealth and then an ability to do what they wanted.

Medicine pays decently, but not terribly well outside certain subspecialties, and the bureaucracy is soul-killing.

#197468 Reply
    Liked by Kamban
    Participant

Agree with all of those pharmacists not recommending their profession.

When I’m told that so-and-so’s child/niece/nephew is looking into pharmacy school, I’ll ask if they’re interested in retail or rather in doing a residency & going into clinical hospital pharmacy.

If retail, I tell them to run far far away, full stop.

If it’s doing a residency for clinical hospital pharmacy, I don’t necessarily discourage, because I’ve had so many co-workers who truly enjoy what they do and advocate for the profession.  But, that’s never been me, so I’m rather half-hearted with my promoting this as a career.

#197553 Reply

Reply To: What Career besides medicine/dentistry would you recommend to your children?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear