Menu

VTSAX vs VTI

Home General Investing VTSAX vs VTI

Participant

I was researching Vanguard’s Total Stock Market Fund and found it listed as VTSAX at $72/share and VTI at 149/share. I realize the VTI is an ETF and the VTSAX is not but they are the same fund. Why is there such a wide disparity in the price? It would seem to make more sense to purchase VTSAX over VTI . I must be missing something. I hope someone is able to clarify this for me so I could determine which would be the better option to purchase.

Thanks.

JMD

#236070 Reply
    I must be missing something.

Click to expand…

yes.

they are the same fund, but different shares.

It would seem to make more sense to purchase VTSAX over VTI

Click to expand…

why? heres a hint: which is worth more? $149 of VTSAX @ 72/share, or $149 of VTI @ 149/share?

#236072 Reply

I hope someone is able to clarify this for me so I could determine which would be the better option to purchase.

Click to expand…

do you know what the difference is between an ETF and MF? that will determine which one you buy.

#236073 Reply
    triad triad 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    Why is there such a wide disparity in the price?

Click to expand…

they don’t have the same price but they move at the same percentage every day.   there isn’t really a major difference for a buy and hold investor.   if you like to daytrade go with the ETF.  I prefer the mutual fund because I can automatically purchase them.

#236076 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

If you want to be able to buy and sell throughout the day, buy the VTI etf. In theory, it could, in the future, give you slightly better protection from capital gains distributions.

Otherwise, the mutual fund is probably more convenient to buy, including the ease to automate purchases.

They will perform the same over time, as they are just different vehicles or structures (one an etf, the other a mutual fund) that are invested in the exact same pool of equities.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#236083 Reply
    Liked by docnews
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Pound of feathers. Pound of bricks.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#236113 Reply
    Participant

There are some advantages from a transaction standpoint. Most are covered in the link below.  Investment performance, same investment performance.

https://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner/vanguard%E2%80%99s-mutual-funds-better-its-etfs?nopaging=1

#236118 Reply
    Participant

To the OP’s question, this is how I think of it. I’m sure an economist would have a better way of explaining it and my version is probably way over simplified but it’s in essence correct…

VTSAX and VTI are different funds that track the exact same thing and are made up of the exact same mix of stocks, but they were not started at the same time and their size and trading volumes are therefore different. Those differences in volume of shares are what account for the differences in share price. But, if you own $100,000 of VTI it is the exact same investment as $100,000 of VTSAX. The number of shares is irrelevant.
    By your reasoning (thinking that the cheaper share price is somehow a better deal), a single share of Berkshire Hathaway “A” would be a bad deal (currently these trade for around $306k per share!). But, in fact, if you own 306k of Berkshire “B”, you have exactly the same investment as 1 share of the A. Number of shares doesn’t matter. The market value of your shares is all that matters.
    Think of it in terms of retirement…if you were retired and needed to take out 100k this year for living expenses, you would need to sell more shares of VTI then VTSAX to get your 100k. It doesn’t actually matter which fund you sell, the dollar amount you need is the same.

#236152 Reply
    Liked by AZPT

The op has started 4 threads and never replied to any of them .
    Looks like more of the same.

#236198 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Lordosis
    ACN ACN 

I have vti in my taxable because it had a lower initial value to invest, only $1k. I could convert to vtsax but don’t see a reason for it.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#236203 Reply
    Participant

Thanks for everyone’s input especially the link to ETF.com. I didn’t think there was much of a difference between the two but I just wanted to be sure there wasn’t an issue that I was overlooking.

#236285 Reply

Reply To: VTSAX vs VTI

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear