Menu

vanguard muni bond funds

Home General Investing vanguard muni bond funds

Participant

Any advice for type of Vanguard muni fund for taxable brokerage account?

Intermediate term? Long term?

I am 46 and plan to work and contribute to my assets for at least another dozen years, fwiw…

Thanks!!

Dean T

#219740 Reply
    Participant

Inter term TE.
    Also depends on state.

#219741 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant

Thanks –

I am in WI, so I dont think I can take particular advantage of the state specific ones that I saw offered by Vanguard…

#219746 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I use the intermediate term muni fund

#219803 Reply
    Participant

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/list?assetclass=bond&taxeff=xmpt#/mutual-funds/asset-class/month-end-returns

I used to use the intermediate term tax exempt fund, but have recently changed to the vanguard state tax exempt fund to see if it will save me more on my state taxes.   I was just looking at this list again though and didn’t realize that they had a high yield tax exempt fund, may be interested in trying that if you can tolerate the increased risk.

#219831 Reply
    Hank Hank 
    high yield tax exempt fund, may be interested in trying that if you can tolerate the increased risk.

Click to expand…

Don’t reach for yield in bonds.  Buy bonds for safety and ballast, buy stock for risk / yield.

William Bernstein makes a pretty good case that you don’t want to buy junk bonds for the long term.  The ratings scales used by Fitch, Moody’s, and the other bonds raters are different for government versus corporate debt.  A lower rated but still investment grade government bond is far less risky than an apparently higher rated corporate bond.  Different scales, different risks.

#221411 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Reply To: vanguard muni bond funds

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear