Menu

vacation recommendations

Home The Lounge vacation recommendations

Participant

Really depends on what you expect besides the beach. Sand only gets you so far.

Cali….San Diego, la beaches, cabo

Florida …from Daytona to Tampa to Marcos island to sofl to the keys ….carribean ranging from Cuba to Jamaica to Belize all vary….to a cruise for all those.

Then there’s equador Galapagos and costs Rica or Panama

Then so Pacific of Fiji to Bora Bora.

And Hawaii. Honolulu to Maui and big island to Kauai….all varying options with cruise there too.

All that said. We live in San Diego…going to hang in Maui next month for a week . Did a Costa Rica trip last year

#197173 Reply
    Participant

Costa Rica – much more to do than just beach

Click to expand…

Most beautiful place in the world I’ve been to… and I haven’t even seen all of it! Cant wait to go back.

#197191 Reply
    Participant

I’ll add Southeast Asia if you are planning >2 weeks. Main downside is >15 hour flight across Pacific is the major down side. Currently on plane from Taipei to JFK so going to pay that tax now. 😥 Upside for kids is unique cultural experiences. Bali is an incredible place in particular because of Buddhist/Hindu practices. People are lovely and is extremely safe. You can get multi bedroom villas with private pool on beach for about $200-300 per night with staff for cooking and full kitchen. Flights are comparable in cost to flights to Hawaii.

#197228 Reply
    Liked by rmecc001
    q-school q-school 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Since I was there recently-

Puerto Rico – Outside the mainland US but still a part of US and hence no problems with phones, currency, driving. Knowing a bit of Spanish good but not necessary. Has quite a bit of history. Other activities available when you get tired of the beach.

Click to expand…

Great history and fun night scene but i didn’t think the beaches compared with the other places that have been mentioned.

#197244 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant
    Great history and fun night scene but i didn’t think the beaches compared with the other places that have been mentioned.

Click to expand…

I am not a beach person but Puerto Rico mainland has great beaches for general family beach fun in the San Juan area. If you go 1.5 hour west to the west coast of the island you have Rincon, which attracts the surfing dudes and gals.

If you want beach as the main attraction the nearby islands of Vieques and Culebra are also available with some great sandy beaches.

#197255 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

My daughter might want me to catch and get stung/bit by things as she loves that Brave Wilderness youtube show. Would love to go there though.

#197264 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Click to expand…

I am not a beach person but Puerto Rico mainland has great beaches for general family beach fun in the San Juan area. If you go 1.5 hour west to the west coast of the island you have Rincon, which attracts the surfing dudes and gals.

If you want beach as the main attraction the nearby islands of Vieques and Culebra are also available with some great sandy beaches.

Click to expand…

I forgot about vieques and rincon.  I stand corrected, but with the caveat you have to travel a little to get to the beaches.

#197265 Reply
    Liked by Kamban, Zaphod
    Participant

Click to expand…

My daughter might want me to catch and get stung/bit by things as she loves that Brave Wilderness youtube show. Would love to go there though.

Click to expand…

Costa Rica is actually a pretty good ‘mid point’ destination if you have both east and west coast family as opposed to carrib vs hawaii debates.

The contrast between mountain and beach is so nice to have within 1-2 hours of each other — truly a disservice if you skip that portion of the ‘beach’ trip

#197299 Reply
    Participant

Just returned from Providenciales, absolutely beautiful, perfect weather, awesome beaches and snorkeling. The food was also great and the people were very nice and hospitable!

#198746 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Thinking about going to Cabo San Lucas in July. I think its Zika free.

#198823 Reply

Reply To: vacation recommendations

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear