Menu

Utah v Nevada 529 and rollover question

Home General Investing Utah v Nevada 529 and rollover question

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I’m in a state that offers a modest state tax deduction for 529 contributions but has overall crappy plan options.  Based on this website they do not recapture tax deductions:  https://www.savingforcollege.com/compare_529_plans/?plan_question_ids%5B%5D=96&page=compare_plan_questions

Some questions:

Is there some minimum time I need to keep the money in my state 529 plan before rolling over without a penalty or any tax implications?

I am considering the NV or UT 529 plans for their performance and low ERs- any thoughts about which to invest in?  And finally, what investment options do you recommend within these plans?  I was considering one of the “aggressive” age based portfolios…or do people recommend just sticking with something like VTSAX within in the 529?

Thanks in advance!

#236185 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Do you mind sharing what state you are in?

You can debate the merits of one plan’s ER over another’s, but it’s not really going to matter as long as you leave the money alone and contribute enough to reach your goals. You have several really good options out there.

I’ll let others comment on how to invest your money.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#236209 Reply
    Participant

I’m in MD

#236210 Reply
    Participant

Utah and Nevada might have been among the lowest cost nationwide 529 plans a decade ago. This is no longer the case.

The last time I checked; CA TIAA-CREF, AZ/DE/MA/NH Fidelity, IL Union Bank, MI TIAA-CREF and VA Virginia 529 in that order are lower cost than NV and UT in that order.

#236220 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

I’m in MD

Click to expand…

Ah – the state with one of the highest but most confusing 529 deduction schemes in the US.

I’m not familiar with Maryland’s tax code for 529s but, if this the information on this site is correct, you should be able to roll it right over. There is no cite to the MD tax code provided and I suspect the information is based on the absence of any language in the code stating rollovers will be taxed. You might want to call the appropriate office at the MD Revenue Cabinet to find out before doing anything.

Very important to be aware that beneficiaries can have only one 529 r/o per year.  Read the example in Point 1 of this article. Because of MD’s 529 structure, you may have multiple 529 accounts. My understanding of this rule is that only 1 acct can be r/o per year. We have a client in MD with 2 children and they have 8- 529 accounts.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#236233 Reply
    Participant

Utah and Nevada might have been among the lowest cost nationwide 529 plans a decade ago. This is no longer the case.

The last time I checked; CA TIAA-CREF, AZ/DE/MA/NH Fidelity, IL Union Bank, MI TIAA-CREF and VA Virginia 529 in that order are lower cost than NV and UT in that order.

Click to expand…

Yeah, I got into UT (not a resident of UT) when it was one of the best, but that’s no longer the case.  Has anyone moved account from UT to another state’s 529 for a better deal?

I think I probably should move it to CA to get a better deal, but I’ve put that project on the back burner.  Too much other stuff to deal with.

Can someone ballpark how much I’m costing myself per year, per $100K of account balance?

#236244 Reply
    Participant

My recommendation was based on the OP going from a higher cost plan to a much lower cost plan. I don’t know that I would rollover from NV or UT to a lower cost plan.

You are probably only talking about a 0.10% difference. On $100K you are only talking about $100/year.

#236251 Reply
    Participant

My recommendation was based on the OP going from a higher cost plan to a much lower cost plan. I don’t know that I would rollover from NV or UT to a lower cost plan.

You are probably only talking about a 0.10% difference. On $100K you are only talking about $100/year.

Click to expand…

Thanks.  That makes me feel a little better about my laziness.  But not much.  Given the expected long-term savings and the time this should take, I really probably should do it.

#236253 Reply

Reply To: Utah v Nevada 529 and rollover question

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear