Menu

US Expat Living in the Netherlands

Home General Investing US Expat Living in the Netherlands

Participant

I have a family member who currently and for the foreseeable future lives in the Netherlands. She has about $10,000 in cash in a US bank account that she wants to keep in the US to have when she visits or if she ever comes back for good. What are her options for investing this money?

#241353 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Her biggest problem will be finding a brokerage who will work with her. In most cases, as long as you have a physical US address, you can continue with your US activities. Interactive Brokers is known as the most expat-friendly custodian and they do a good job.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#241489 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Interesting, I didnt realize it might be a problem if I moved away for a couple of years. I suppose that is a big area to research aka get sucked down the rabbit hole of the internet….

#241495 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Interesting, I didnt realize it might be a problem if I moved away for a couple of years. I suppose that is a big area to research aka get sucked down the rabbit hole of the internet….

Click to expand…

Yes, it is a frequent issue for ex-pats rooted in laws designed to prevent non-US terrorist organizations from funneling $ to the US. It is not usually difficult as long as you can maintain a US address – if you have family members in the US, for example. But some custodians are much more strict than others, so you do need to have that worked out if you are planning to move out of the country.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#241499 Reply
    Liked by G, Tim
    Participant

Click to expand…

Yes, it is a frequent issue for ex-pats rooted in laws designed to prevent non-US terrorist organizations from funneling $ to the US. It is not usually difficult as long as you can maintain a US address – if you have family members in the US, for example. But some custodians are much more strict than others, so you do need to have that worked out if you are planning to move out of the country.

Click to expand…

Literally everything is electronic delivery.  I wonder what would happen if I just neglected to mention I didn’t live here anymore?

Regardless, tentative plan would be to keep our home, potentially rent it out for a nominal fee to a caretaker.

And a further regardless, I’m getting pushback from family, which is the bigger logistical problem!

#241511 Reply
    What are her options for investing this money?

Click to expand…

If the goal of the money is to be available for potential use in the short to medium term, I probably wouldn’t “invest” the money. A high yield savings account or money market account would be best. I would only “invest” the money for a longer term goal.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#241514 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Literally everything is electronic delivery.  I wonder what would happen if I just neglected to mention I didn’t live here anymore?

Regardless, tentative plan would be to keep our home, potentially rent it out for a nominal fee to a caretaker.

And a further regardless, I’m getting pushback from family, which is the bigger logistical problem!

Click to expand…

https://investorjunkie.com/investing/expat/

to help you start going down the rabbit hole

#241524 Reply
    Liked by G, Tim
    Participant

I’d put it it in a high interest savings account to moment market fund at Fidelity. I’d use your address (so their is never returned to sender..) or rent a PO Box .

#242186 Reply

Reply To: US Expat Living in the Netherlands

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear