Menu

Urology salary? Actively declining?

Home General/Welcome Urology salary? Actively declining?

• Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Dont take plastics comp at face value, it was middle of the pack a few years ago and it is very sensitive to economic cycle and can be skewed in good times by private practice.

#216370 Reply
    Liked by Strider_91, Tim
    Participant

I do urology and when you look around you can find jobs starting as low as ~150k with others having an earning potential of nearly a million depending on how hard you want to work. So as with almost any specialty the range is significant. Mostly depends on location, practice type, etc. Go into it because you love it not because it’s higher on the board of average salaries.

Participant

Two days is probably a little quick in deciding for and against various specialties.

Click to expand…

Uh, I knew I was Radiology within 2-5 days of a med student clerkship.  Sometimes you just know what you like and are good at (or that everything else sucks.)

#216382 Reply
    Participant

First night in OR was enough for me to rule out about a dozen specialties.

#216387 Reply
    Participant

I do think specialty income differences should be an important consideration for medstudents.  But I would be more concerned about the medstudents considering pediatrics, not the ones considering urology.

#216412 Reply
    Participant

One point, some sub-specialties in pediatrics and others are tied to a hospital system. That alone limits additional income opportunities. The base and incentives maybe comparable, but some options are limited.

#216433 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Chief 1 hour from Boston 435K not including signing bonus. No fellowship

Another Chief Northern California 425K not including signing bonus. Also No fellowship.

Click to expand…

that’s commensurate w/ my friend’s experiences.

can do MUCH better in undesirable areas.

like lots of procedural fields i suspect it’s all about productivity.

i agree with what others have said re: not getting too far into the weeds on future salaries. I make so much more money as an academic EM doc than I ever thought I would or planned for.

#216518 Reply
    Liked by DCdoc, Tim, Strider_91
    Participant

You seem to make a lot of posts re: future career fields and your indecision. This is another example. Any of the fields you have proposed will pay well, most likely, but you’re a decade away. Pick a career downs you ENJOY. Don’t obsess over whether salaries indicate the median ED, Uro, ENT et al are increasing or declining. All are paid well. I would venture to say that while there are variations between fields, the biggest variation is based on WHERE you practice, the environment and the hours. Any is those fields can pay from well (in a highly desirable area) to extremely well (in a different area). You’ll do well in any. Pick something you enjoy doing for 20-25 years and don’t base it on current salary surveys for a job you won’t start for a decade.

#216535 Reply
    Participant

@dcdoc this is definitely true, I certainly worry about this a lot and it causes me anxiety. I will try my best to follow your advice because I get it a lot and know that is the proper way to make the decision.

#216541 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

You seem to make a lot of posts re: future career fields and your indecision. This is another example. Any of the fields you have proposed will pay well, most likely, but you’re a decade away. Pick a career downs you ENJOY. Don’t obsess over whether salaries indicate the median ED, Uro, ENT et al are increasing or declining. All are paid well. I would venture to say that while there are variations between fields, the biggest variation is based on WHERE you practice, the environment and the hours. Any is those fields can pay from well (in a highly desirable area) to extremely well (in a different area). You’ll do well in any. Pick something you enjoy doing for 20-25 years and don’t base it on current salary surveys for a job you won’t start for a decade.

Click to expand…

As one of the med school faculty members on the forum, endorse.

I generally tell students to approach specialty in the following way.

1) decide if your projected debt ($300k+) is high enough that it’s going to ruin your life in lower paying fields (FM, peds, etc)

2) decide if you want to operate

3) avoid making decisions based on pithy generalizations (“anesthesia is boring,” “i don’t like IM b/c I hate rounding”)

4) avoid making decisions purely based on future fellowship plans, life could happen and you’d be stuck practicing your residency specialty

5) avoid faculty who seem to have a personal stake in your choice. seriously, why would i care what you do as long as you’re happy? if you want to be a reconstructive urologist focusing on the proximal urethra freaking go for it and let’s high five at match day while i tell your parents how great you are.

#216578 Reply
    Participant

MGMA 2017 Data for Urology lists MEDIAN salary as 380k-450K depending on location for active practicing urologists (90% percentile is greater than 700k). MGMA 2017 also lists the MEDIAN starting salary for Urology at 450k.

I have seen starting Uro offers in the 400-500k range depending on where you want to live and how much call you have to take etc.

You have to like it though. I personally love Urology and can’t imagine retiring early because it is so much fun. It is a super busy and hectic specialty (which is something I love about it).

As the WCI preaches: your greatest asset is your future earning potential, don’t destroy it by being burned out (or picking a specialty you aren’t passionate about).

I personally will probably end up taking the “lowest” salary I have been offered b/c I like the practice, partners, and location (FWIW).

#216779 Reply
    Liked by Strider_91
    Participant

If I could remind time, I think I would do urology, I actually considered it during my anesthesia residency, that was many years ago, before Internet forums like this were a thing. Otherwise, with my personality, I would likely be posting things strider, like you are. Urology is a good mix of office and OR. Clinic can range from ED/incontinence to kidney/bladder cancer. You can do a 15 min cysto, or a multi hour nephrectomy/prostatectomy. Robotic cases (which I think are so cool) are pretty common. Earnings are good. The guys I know own their own radiaton center for prostrate stuff. They make 7 figures though I suspect a lot of that is ancillary/facility fees. And, across the board, they seem pretty laid back, crack jokes only a urologist can make, And are pretty happy, there’s enough variation so you don’t get bored. Something like ER, anesthesia is better for shift work. I went into anesthesia because I envisioned moving to a different part of the country every 3-5 years. I didn’t want to spend time building a practice or having the staff overhead. That’s when I was younger and adventurous. I haven’t taken advantage of that because of spouse/kids so at times I regret not doing urology or a similarly diverse surgical subspeciality since I haven’t taken advantage of a big reason I chose anesthesia.

#216781 Reply
    Liked by Strider_91
    Participant

If I could remind time, I think I would do urology, I actually considered it during my anesthesia residency, that was many years ago, before Internet forums like this were a thing. Otherwise, with my personality, I would likely be posting things strider, like you are. Urology is a good mix of office and OR. Clinic can range from ED/incontinence to kidney/bladder cancer. You can do a 15 min cysto, or a multi hour nephrectomy/prostatectomy. Robotic cases (which I think are so cool) are pretty common. Earnings are good. The guys I know own their own radiaton center for prostrate stuff. They make 7 figures though I suspect a lot of that is ancillary/facility fees. And, across the board, they seem pretty laid back, crack jokes only a urologist can make, And are pretty happy, there’s enough variation so you don’t get bored. Something like ER, anesthesia is better for shift work. I went into anesthesia because I envisioned moving to a different part of the country every 3-5 years. I didn’t want to spend time building a practice or having the staff overhead. That’s when I was younger and adventurous. I haven’t taken advantage of that because of spouse/kids so at times I regret not doing urology or a similarly diverse surgical subspeciality since I haven’t taken advantage of a big reason I chose anesthesia.

Click to expand…

Thank you for the insight. This post really hits home for me. I have had many similar thoughts.

#216788 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

lol. I’m in urology now and I was thinking about doing anesthesia. Hopefully, it’s just residency

#222074 Reply

Reply To: Urology salary? Actively declining?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear