Menu

UPS Mailbox for LLC Address

Home General/Welcome UPS Mailbox for LLC Address

Participant

I was considering opening a UPS Mailbox as the business address for my LLC (side-hustle). My LLC address is currently my home address but I think separating church and state would be the ideal move. Anybody have experience using UPS Mailboxes (and care to review the logistics/ease of use)? Is pricing typically fair?

#229223 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

I’m guessing it would depend upon the regulations of your state regarding the address of the manager. If you’re going that route, a good compromise might be to use one of those “Mr. Postman”-style businesses as (I think) they count as a physical address and give more personalized service than the gubment.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#229230 Reply
    Participant
    I was considering opening a UPS Mailbox as the business address for my LLC (side-hustle). My LLC address is currently my home address but I think separating church and state would be the ideal move. Anybody have experience using UPS Mailboxes (and care to review the logistics/ease of use)? Is pricing typically fair?

Click to expand…

The main advantage of UPS PO box over the USPS PO Box is that the UPS can appear like a normal address. The address is the physical address of the UPS store and the franchisee then sorts the mail and put in appropriate box. This might take some time. Also you get a key to the main door of the UPS that has no alarm so that you can reach the mail boxes and they put a metal grille around the counters protecting the rear of the store and alarm those areas ( my relative owned UPS franchise that had mailboxes).  Thus the costs for a mail box is much more than the regular USPS mail box.

Unless you have issues where some shippers won’t deliver to a PO box address ( which is unlikely given your intended use for it) you are better off with a USPS mail box.. Cheaper, and  more convenient to use and renew in the long run. I have had one for my office for the past 2 decades..

#229237 Reply
    Participant

The main thing I wanted to take advantage of was the physical address, since PO Boxes cannot be used for LLC addresses since they are not physical addresses

#229239 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

The main thing I wanted to take advantage of was the physical address, since PO Boxes cannot be used for LLC addresses since they are not physical addresses

Click to expand…

You know what? I read that title as USPS – you were saying exactly what I was. Yes, I think that is a good idea.

#229241 Reply
    Liked by AceRothstein
    Participant

Usually require an accepting agent. I dont know if ups store does that or not.

#229249 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

Mine is at a post office near Cindy’s house. Never considered UPS.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#229273 Reply
    Participant

I also use a USPS PO Box and prefer it.  I don’t want my home address listed for my license on the state medical board website.

#229276 Reply
    Participant

My CPA has someone in the office who can function as the Registered Agent for entities like partnerships for a yearly flat fee. They handle all governmental forms and filings at their office address. All other business mail/packages can be delivered to the address of the owners convenience.

FWIW, n=1 story. I prefer receiving mail at a PO box rather than home. I used a UPS mailbox years ago until it suddenly closed. All mail was held at the US post office but it was 3 weeks before they released mail to the box holders. Several years later, I received an IRS inquiry seeking the whereabouts of the husband/wife owners. They apparently owed over $100K in back taxes and disappeared off the face of the earth. I’ve used a regular USPS PO box ever since. Some like the one I use allow “Street-Style Addressing” so you can receive UPS and FedEx packages.

#229280 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    I’ve used a regular USPS PO box ever since. Some like the one I use allow “Street-Style Addressing” so you can receive UPS and FedEx packages.

Click to expand…

That’s nice to know – never heard of the USPS doing that.

#229307 Reply
    Participant

After looking at the cost of a UPS Mailbox vs. a USPS PO Box, it’s a no-brainer to go with the PO Box.

If for LLC purposes you’re looking to have a different address listed as the business entity address, you can always use Registered Agent services. The cost is about the same as a UPS Mailbox as it is, you obviously just can’t receive routine mail through it.

#229327 Reply

Reply To: UPS Mailbox for LLC Address

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear