Menu

Travel allowance for commuting faculty ?

Home Practice Management Travel allowance for commuting faculty ?

• Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

Asking on behalf of a friend in a unique position:

Due to specific circumstances not relevant here, faculty member will be basically splitting time between two universities (40% vs 60%).

Both jobs are as faculty, not locums. Person will be living in one town full time (the 40% job) but commuting 2 hours each way when working in the other. Unclear yet if will bunch shifts in the 60% town and staying there between shifts or trying to commute each day — it’s an EM job so nights will be involved, presumably easier to bunch shifts and stay in town if feasible.

The 60% place is fully aware of the split and supportive of splitting time and commuting, but initial contract offer didn’t offer anything for travel/housing. Salary offer and signing bonus is commensurate with other faculty at same level (prorated for time) at that institution.

What (if anything) do you all recommend this person ask re travel and/or housing allowance from the 60% place?

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

#213443 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

It depends on who is requesting the split. If it is coming from the top, I’d definitely request housing and travel coverage plus perhaps something to make him/her whole for having to do this. 2 hr commute? That is a deal breaker right there. Do they want him/her to quit?

#213446 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Your friend is going to hate one or both of those jobs very quickly. It sounds like your friend is the one making the decision for the two sites so I don’t see how either university is going to give him a commuting bonus or housing allowance (as they shouldn’t). If one of the universities is recommending it then that’s different.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#213447 Reply
    Liked by Panscan, wonka31
    Participant
    Disability Insurance

sounds terrible.

#213452 Reply
    Participant

Is the 60% supporting the salary of the 40%? That is the only way i could see there be accommodations.

If being paid separate by each institution, Ii doubt the institution lawyers would allow housing and commuting language in a contract as that would be a very slippery slope.

if paid separate, what the person can do is negotiate additional salary at one/both places such that the post-tax residual covers those expenses. It creates more taxable income of which you are paying tax to drive your car….but that is an option that would work legally.

#213456 Reply
    Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

The person’s preference is to be full time at the 40% place but they don’t have ability for that right now, though they want to at some point, so the person has set up the 60% at the other place to be able to work full time.

The universities are not affiliated.

This isn’t meant to be long term — result of specific circumstances.

#213472 Reply
    Participant

“What (if anything) do you all recommend this person ask re travel and/or housing allowance from the 60% place”

Ask for whatever they want. $, time, housing allowance. They’re unlikely to get anything unless the hospital is desperate. What would they say if they got offered a full time job…no more commuting, just live here?

#213479 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Well in that case he can ask for anything he wants but why would they give it to him when he is the one placing himself in that position? I’d be happy if both places would agree to accommodate the schedule to help minimize commutes. If the position is w2, perhaps the fairest thing to ask for is a pre-tax spending account from which he can draw based on mileage and lodging expenses. It is his money but at least it is pretax.

#213481 Reply
    Participant

Just a guess. It’s 125 miles and a 2hr20min trip one way. The logistics of this seem terrible and the costs of housing need to be resolved.

Close to 5 hrs for a round trip and the potential for full time housing or higher priced motels “away from home” is an unknown. The only answer is to quantify it and see how cooperative each one will be. It is going to be a PITA and cost someone some bucks.

#213491 Reply
    Participant

It’s about 120 miles and almost always 2 hours or less. The “second” job is in a medium size city, not super expensive. The “main” job where person will live full time is not expensive at all.

Not meant to be a long term setup, but splitting time to get full FTE is needed to qualify for PSLF

#213541 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Your friend (YF) should negotiate with the 60% place to set up an accountable plan for the travel to reimburse YF for the travel expenses. This is allowed by the IRS as long as it complies with the regs. The payments to YF w/b deductible to the employer and non-taxable to YF.

Accountable plans have become especially relevant since TCJA (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act).

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#213568 Reply
    Liked by Dreamgiver
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

I don’t get the job set up, but that’s not what you asked. He should ask for the standard .58/mile. If it’s 120 miles each way, that’s $59.60 each way. Take that, multiply it by the number of shifts and you’re done.

If he is planning to stay overnight between shifts, add in reimbursable hotel costs.

It’s a weird setup, but shouldn’t be that difficult. My guess is this isn’t the institution’s first rodeo with a similar situation.

#213600 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Why would either chair care about this or agree to travel compensation?

If he works 40% at one and has a title can’t he just moonlight to make up income until a FT spot is available?

I think what you’re seeing here is genuine confusion. It’s almost like a brain teaser to figure out how this could ever make sense — specialty, set up, etc.

Maybe something like sub-sub-specialty peds where you have to be at a big center to have a patient base?

#213611 Reply
    Liked by wonka31
    Participant

Place A doesn’t have a full time position, so the person in question found another part time job on their own at place B. I assume the person clearly knew the distance and logistics when he/she decided on this. Why would place B pay any more to this person vs a “normal person” living and working in place B? Either I’m missing something, or else it just plain silly to me that this person would expect employer B to pay them more.

#213640 Reply
    Participant

DC Doc is first one I’ve noticed who didn’t assume gender 🙂 however just an observation— given that I’m asking on someone else’s behalf I’m not trying to drip info, just avoid giving out extraneous info that could be identifying.

Person wants to be in town with place A for legitimate personal reasons. Place A happily recruited the person and said they would have a full time job but turns out later they didn’t. No other jobs nearby and person needs to work full time for PSLF.

I don’t know myself — can you moonlight to get to full time hours and get it to qualify for PSLF?

Person has strong connection to Place B. So Person doing additional work at Place B, who would gladly take them full time.

#213644 Reply

Reply To: Travel allowance for commuting faculty ?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear