Menu

Tornado safe rooms

Home The Lounge Tornado safe rooms

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Our upstate NY weather blows but at least we do not get any tornadoes, hurricanes, or earthquakes. I will take blizzards any day compared to that nonsense.

But if you are going to do it go all out and put in the shelter in Blast from the Past.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#235172 Reply
    Participant

Thanks for the responses.  My new house has a whole house backup generator.  We had a brief power outage last week and it performed great.  My neighbor was telling me that she installed a tornado room when her house was being built.  It is in a closet and cost around $10k.  I requested a quote from a company in my area but have not had a response yet.  I really do not want the type where you have to climb down a ladder to get in it.  I could see breaking my hip trying to get my dog down the ladder.  It appears they can anchor them to your garage slab.  At least this seems to be a possibility from my preliminary research.

Click to expand…

They can, and while those are not quite as safe as a below-ground shelter, they are far superior to no shelter at all.  They are tested to stand up to debris hurled at 200 miles/hour.  I remember reading that at least one of the Joplin tornado survivors rode out the tornado in such an above-ground shelter.

#235300 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB, hatton1
    Participant

For those that actually have shelters, can you comment on the above link I posted as to whether it’s a good or bad item?

Click to expand…

The ad says it’s passed the Texas Tech Wind Institute’s testing, but it doesn’t seem to be bolted securely down.  What’s to keep the tornado from simply tossing it?

I’d go for a more traditional shelter that is either underground or is bolted to the foundation slab.  I’d only try the one you posted as an absolute last resort, if no other better options were feasible.

#235303 Reply
    Liked by Brains428, hatton1
    Participant

Ours is bolted to the concrete basement floor.

#235319 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Hank Hank 

Or maybe just live where you don’t get tornadoes?

#235420 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Participant

I feel I have led a very sheltered life, as this issue has never even occurred to me. I know no one who has such a thing.

#235425 Reply
    Liked by DCdoc, hatton1
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

My city has been hit by tornados many times.  I have never been directly hit.  The last bad tornado knocked out electricity for one week.  Weather radars have really improved to where you do not really need to spend hours in a shelter.  They track it neighborhood by neighborhood.  My new house has a closet in the garage that is built under a set of stairs going into a bonus room.  This is where the previous homeowners went when necessary.  This would probably be adequate for a small tornado.

#235496 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Tornadoes don’t last very long. I really don’t think you need AC, food, water, piss jugs etc.

I could see like a 5×5 cubicle bolted to a corner of the garage or in an unfinished basement, could double as a gun safe maybe for those of us into that?

I guess my thought on this is really you need to be able to huddle for an hour max and then get out. By definition tornadoes generally do not occur at extreme temps which I think obviates the need for climate control. Not sure how excited I’d be about being buried underneath my house hoping that someone remembers to check on me. I mean I guess it’s better than being dead, but a key feature here would seem to be “able to exit without being rescued.”

It’s also very clearly a high cost to insure against a very rare event.

Click to expand…

I’m not trying to be funny, but hypothetically you purchase and eventually have to go into this cube/box. How would you know when it was safe to get out? Can you hear the sirens go on/stop from these things?

#235715 Reply
    Participant

IIRC, you have land and space.  Do it right and get an underground one that can double as a nice safe area stocked well for the week for outages.

#235720 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

True double duty: wine cellar.

#235736 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

True double duty: wine cellar.

Click to expand…

Yeah I guess if I am going to be trapped in a small room for likely the rest of my short life I would want there to be some ETOH

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#235773 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Tornadoes don’t last very long. I really don’t think you need AC, food, water, piss jugs etc.

I could see like a 5×5 cubicle bolted to a corner of the garage or in an unfinished basement, could double as a gun safe maybe for those of us into that?

I guess my thought on this is really you need to be able to huddle for an hour max and then get out. By definition tornadoes generally do not occur at extreme temps which I think obviates the need for climate control. Not sure how excited I’d be about being buried underneath my house hoping that someone remembers to check on me. I mean I guess it’s better than being dead, but a key feature here would seem to be “able to exit without being rescued.”

It’s also very clearly a high cost to insure against a very rare event.

Click to expand…

I’m not trying to be funny, but hypothetically you purchase and eventually have to go into this cube/box. How would you know when it was safe to get out? Can you hear the sirens go on/stop from these things?

Click to expand…

If you’re being hit directly by a tornado you won’t be able to hear the sirens anyway. Whenever it doesn’t sound like a freight train is on top of your house will serve to let you know it’s safe. Plus, meteorologists can usually tell you when to expect a particular area of a storm (tornado) to be in your neighborhood and tornados aren’t typically slow moving.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#235776 Reply
    Liked by wonka31, hatton1
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

If you have cell service you can watch the tornado track.  During most warnings you can determine if you need to go to your safe place by watching TV or a weather app.  A 10 minute deal.  They move fast.

#235784 Reply
    Participant
    I feel I have led a very sheltered life, as this issue has never even occurred to me. I know no one who has such a thing.

Click to expand…

Where I live now I have never experienced a tornado or hurricane. The only safe room I have seen was in FL where my friend has a concrete small space in his large closet. I think they call it hurricane rooms.

#235796 Reply
    Participant

I built a house a few years back and had a safe room installed (7’2” x 6’). Cinder block reinforced with concrete/steel. Bought a safe door with fingerprint recognition. Great for tornadoes too. It opens from the inside so you can’t get trapped in it.

I’m from Texas and I have hunting rifles/shotguns etc. Any valuables (wife’s jewelry, etc) goes in there when we leave town. The door is in the back of my closet and I lock the door to my closet when we are out of town so a burglar wouldn’t even know the safe is there unless he broke the door down first.

#236011 Reply

Reply To: Tornado safe rooms

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear