Menu

Tonight is Apollo 11 night

Home The Lounge Tonight is Apollo 11 night

Participant

my clever pla

looking at the Sun)! 

Click to expand…

Hopefully you had the appropriate filters or invest in an ophthalmology practice.

Click to expand…

My clever plan is to eliminate that bane of astronomers, light pollution, by blinding the population, thereby rendering the use of streetlights and other nighttime lighting unnecessary! 😀

I was using a Coronado PST, which is a small H-alpha scope designed for safely viewing the sun.  It’s lightweight and affordable, and perfect for daytime astronomy outreach.  A highly recommended purchase if you have any interest in solar observing!

#232567 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

my clever pla

looking at the Sun)! 

Click to expand…

Hopefully you had the appropriate filters or invest in an ophthalmology practice.

Click to expand…

My clever plan is to eliminate that bane of astronomers, light pollution, by blinding the population, thereby rendering the use of streetlights and other nighttime lighting unnecessary!

I was using a Coronado PST, which is a small H-alpha scope designed for safely viewing the sun.  It’s lightweight and affordable, and perfect for daytime astronomy outreach.  A highly recommended purchase if you have any interest in solar observing!

Click to expand…

I have always had an interest but never any formal training.  It is one of those hobbies I have in mind for when I free up some personal time.

My oldest is 5.  He is very much into constellations and learning about space and planets.  I got him a telescope but he does not have the patience and dexterity for it.  Not to mention I set it up to look at something and he cannot just simply look in but nudges it all over so he is looking at nothing.  I hope to help him develop these skills.  I figure as he gets into it I will have to learn to stay one step ahead of him.

Also our definitions of affordable do not align haha.

https://www.meade.com/coronado-personal-solar-telescope-pst.html

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#232585 Reply
    Participant

I have been watching the 3 part series Chasing the moon which goes from the Sputnik days to the moon landing.

Also 8 days – To the moon and back – the 8 days it took Apollo 11 from launch to splashdown.

#232594 Reply
    mkintx mkintx 
    Participant
    “The Last Question” which is probably my favorite short story is an example.

Click to expand…

I do love Asimov, and hadn’t read this one.  It’s a doozy–thanks for sharing!

#232606 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

my clever pla

looking at the Sun)! 

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

My clever plan is to eliminate that bane of astronomers, light pollution, by blinding the population, thereby rendering the use of streetlights and other nighttime lighting unnecessary!

Click to expand…

I have always had an interest but never any formal training.  It is one of those hobbies I have in mind for when I free up some personal time.

My oldest is 5.  He is very much into constellations and learning about space and planets.  I got him a telescope but he does not have the patience and dexterity for it.  Not to mention I set it up to look at something and he cannot just simply look in but nudges it all over so he is looking at nothing.  I hope to help him develop these skills.  I figure as he gets into it I will have to learn to stay one step ahead of him.

Also our definitions of affordable do not align haha.

https://www.meade.com/coronado-personal-solar-telescope-pst.html

Click to expand…

Kids usually get the hang of looking through a telescope eyepiece somewhere around age 6.  Before then, even if they can see the object in the eyepiece, they can’t really grasp what they are looking at.  In another year or two, your son will be ready!

And the cost of a Coronado PST is cheap compared to the $2,000+ most dedicated hydrogen-alpha scopes run (plus you can use a photo tripod to mount it, which also lowers the cost).  Personally, if I ever win the lottery I’m splurging on this baby:  https://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/telescopes/hydrogen-alpha/152mm-telescopes/ls152tha-solar-telescope-double-stack-b3400-feather-touch-zoom/ (That price is just the scope; you still have to budget the cost of a mount for it.)

The good news is that a telescope (solar or otherwise) is generally a one-time purchase.  They don’t wear out.  My most-used scope is one I bought new back in the late 1980s; apart from the addition of one wide-field eyepiece I’ve added nothing to it over those 30 years, and it still works perfectly.  So astronomy doesn’t have to be an expensive hobby, but the costs do tend to be front-loaded.

#232608 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    So astronomy doesn’t have to be an expensive hobby, but the costs do tend to be front-loaded.

Click to expand…

I am going to defer these costs until I no longer have toddlers who will destroy my nice things!  But I see what you mean.  Little ongoing expense.  We live somewhat rural so it is not hard to get away from the light pollution.  However being in upstate NY our cloud cover is a problem.  I will have to get something before the 2024 total solar eclipse!  The partial 2 years ago was fun but I have never experienced a total.

I do love Asimov, and hadn’t read this one.  It’s a doozy–thanks for sharing!

Click to expand…

No problem.  One of my life goals is to read everything he wrote.  Quite the undertaking.

I recently finished his adolescent series under his pen name Paul French.  Kinda corny but fun

He wrote a incredible  amount of short stories so that might take a while

Also a ton of non fiction that I might pick and choose.  Some of them do not hold up to time as well as fiction.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#232611 Reply
    Participant
    So astronomy doesn’t have to be an expensive hobby, but the costs do tend to be front-loaded. 

Click to expand…

I am going to defer these costs until I no longer have toddlers who will destroy my nice things!  But I see what you mean.  Little ongoing expense.  We live somewhat rural so it is not hard to get away from the light pollution.  However being in upstate NY our cloud cover is a problem.  I will have to get something before the 2024 total solar eclipse!  The partial 2 years ago was fun but I have never experienced a total.

Click to expand…

You have my condolences.  I did my fellowship in Rochester NY, and I think the year I was there the local astronomy club did more cloud-watching than actual star-gazing!

For the 2024 eclipse, I’d suggest getting some binoculars (if you don’t already have them) and a pair of safe solar filters for those binoculars.  And some solar eclipse glasses (which are very inexpensive).  An actual telescope is overkill for an eclipse.  If the scope you have for your son is a refractor or a solid-tube reflector, you can buy or make a solar filter for it and use that, though, if you’re really keen to have a telescope for the eclipse.  But if it doesn’t have a solid tube, don’t chance it!

The Cloudy Nights website has a good forum dedicated to solar viewing, where you can pick up all the info you need on how to make a safe solar filter.  i recommend paying them a visit (but do it well before 2024, as I expect that just like this last time, the filter material will sell out well in advance of the eclipse).

#232614 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

We were lucky to have the last 100% eclipse center right through out town and we could watch it right from my backyard. The weather gods were great to us and there was nary a cloud in the sky.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #232724 Reply

Reply To: Tonight is Apollo 11 night

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear