Menu

Tonight is Apollo 11 night

Home The Lounge Tonight is Apollo 11 night

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I have come across the series but never looked into it. I just did and it looks right up my alley. It will be added to the queue. I will start with the books. 8 books!
    I love finding something that has the potential to keep me busy for a few months! Thanks for the recommendation!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#232228 Reply
    Liked by fatlittlepig
    Participant

Nah I don’t buy the whole we need a backup to planet earth, I think the average temperature on mars is like -80, the atmosphere is unbreathable. It’s not a place for humans, it’s not a backup. Our backup is earth…

Click to expand…

Didn’t you see Total Recall?  Mars is just waiting for us to melt the icecaps there too. ;0

#232237 Reply
    Liked by CM, Lordosis, ENT Doc
    Participant

Am I the only one terrified of space? I don’t even watch movies about it. I would rather die on earth in the zombie-pocalypse than be catapulted however safely into space. I guess it’s good not everyone is like me!! It’s quite amazing to think what they did 50 years ago.

#232266 Reply
    Liked by Anne, Vagabond MD
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Wideopenspaces is terrified of space? 🙂

#232270 Reply
    Liked by q-school, Tim, CM
    Participant

I would never consider Mars a pack up for Earth. if Mars had a sustainable colony and Earth was destroyed Mars would quickly follow. I’m considering the distant future when other habitable planets can be found and explored. It’s going to happen eventually and what we do today me speed or slow that process considerably. Much like the compounding effect of compound interest.
    Personally in my lifetime over the next 50 years or so I expect that we will land on Mars but that is not really truly important I think the more important thing would be to set up a reasonably self-sustainable outpost on the moon. I think that would be much more useful in further exploring space and developing the technology to live in a non ideal environment.

However I am just a physician not an astrophysicist. Most of my opinions are not back by any real science just the hopes and dreams of an avid science-fiction enthusiast.

Click to expand…

While I agree with you in spirit, I do wonder whether it will ultimately more practical to learn how to convert the billions of asteroids in the solar system to human habitats. Theoretically they can be hollowed out and adapted, and even provided with propulsion systems. The thick rock walls can protect against the radiation that the Martian atmosphere won’t protect humans from. See (one of my favorite authors) Kim Stanley Robinson in his book 2312. This may be instead of or in addition to terraforming planets and moons in the solar system. No doubt this isn’t happening tomorrow, but someday, if we survive.

#232384 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

My humble brag.  I was on a causeway watching Apollo 11 launch.  I did not appreciate that was likely the most historically significant event I would witness.  I was 11.

#232393 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

The asteroid belt is an option. Further from the sun making power collection a bit more difficult but I am sure we can overcome that. A colony inside Ceres seems common in sci-fi. There is so much to read. I have yet to pick up a Kim Stanley Robinson book but gave a few on my list. Need more hours in the day. Maybe I will move to Mercury.

#232438 Reply
    Liked by Antares
    CM CM 
    Participant

One of the greatest achievements of humankind. And that evening, as a ten year old glued to the tv as Neal Armstrong descended those steps, was one of the peak moments of my life.

Click to expand…

I was also 10 and thought it was amazing. Definitely not one of the peak moments of my life though. 🙂

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#232446 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

The asteroid belt is an option. Further from the sun making power collection a bit more difficult but I am sure we can overcome that. A colony inside Ceres seems common in sci-fi. There is so much to read. I have yet to pick up a Kim Stanley Robinson book but gave a few on my list. Need more hours in the day. Maybe I will move to Mercury.

Click to expand…

I find the Fermi paradox interesting.

#232453 Reply
    Liked by Antares
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

It is. I think we are not as unique and special as we think we are.
    The universe is a big place.

#232461 Reply
    Liked by Antares, Kamban
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

To reiterate Lordosis’ last point, take a few minutes and watch this video.  One of the best I’ve seen on the internet.  My kids can’t get enough of it.

#232465 Reply
    Liked by Antares, Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I like it.  But even the very large universe can be overrun when you consider exponential growth.

“The Last Question” which is probably my favorite short story is an example.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

#232476 Reply
    Liked by Antares
    Participant

History is as we remember it? Or is it?
    How much was global politics, scientific, Cold War, domestically popular?
    https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2019/07/why-history-get-stuff-wrong-all-the-time/

There was a small little squabble called the Cold War.

“They believed the military spending policies of the Reagan-Bush years forced the Soviets to the brink of economic collapse. Democrats argued that containment of communism was a bipartisan policy for 45 years begun by the Democrat Harry Truman. Others pointed out that no one really won the Cold War.”

Not really sure the race to the moon has a declared winner either. Not to sure Mars or asteroids will happen.
    Only history will tell. Then be written and rewritten over and over from different perspectives.

#232483 Reply
    Participant

I spent the day doing astronomy outreach at the SAC Museum, which was having a big celebration in honor of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.  There’s very little that’s more rewarding than giving someone their first glimpse through a telescope (in this case, looking at the Sun)!

#232557 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    looking at the Sun)!

Click to expand…

Hopefully you had the appropriate filters or invest in an ophthalmology practice.

#232560 Reply
    Liked by Tim

Reply To: Tonight is Apollo 11 night

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear