Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

To grill or not to grill?

Home The Lounge To grill or not to grill?

Participant

Depends on how clean is clean @AR. I have been afraid of accidentally ingesting parts of the wire bristles on many of the grill brushes, so no longer use those alone. I have a wire brush that is a bunch of coils all made up of one long, continuous wire, so if some of it broke off somehow you could tell because the coils would be messed up. I most commonly use a wooden cleaner that I bought at Costco a couple of years back. It was initially shaped like a short, flat paddle, but after a couple of years of use I have worn (burned?) grooves into it that do a good job of scraping the burned on food off the grates. It only cost about $15 and at the current rate, will probably last about 20 years.

#241649 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, Tangler
    Lordosis Lordosis
    Participant

It is on fire! How clean does it have to be?    I still us a wire brush but I have someone trying to talk me into one of those paddles.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#241792 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    childay childay
    Participant

Thumbs up on the grill grates BTW.  Definitely increase the heat on my gas grill.

The a-maze-n smoker still evaluating

#241804 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    childay childay
    Participant
    I have been afraid of accidentally ingesting parts of the wire bristles on many of the grill brushes

Click to expand…

I know this is a thing and have seen reports of perforation and such.  But I feel a close inspection of the grates after cleaning you wouldn’t miss a bristle unless it was dark out or your grill was super grossly chunky.

#241805 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

Depends on how clean is clean @ar. I have been afraid of accidentally ingesting parts of the wire bristles on many of the grill brushes, so no longer use those alone. I have a wire brush that is a bunch of coils all made up of one long, continuous wire, so if some of it broke off somehow you could tell because the coils would be messed up. I most commonly use a wooden cleaner that I bought at Costco a couple of years back. It was initially shaped like a short, flat paddle, but after a couple of years of use I have worn (burned?) grooves into it that do a good job of scraping the burned on food off the grates. It only cost about $15 and at the current rate, will probably last about 20 years.

Click to expand…

Unfortunately, clean seems to be cleaner than I can get it.  A long time ago, I used to have a cleaning person who would go through some sort of elaborate process every so often (involved oven cleaner).  It looked fantastic after she was done.  I’d also do some extra washing after she left to make sure there were no chemicals left on it.   I don’t know what the heck she did, but I can’t recreate the process.  Ever since then, the best I can do is pretty mediocre in comparison.

It is on fire! How clean does it have to be?    I still us a wire brush but I have someone trying to talk me into one of those paddles.

Click to expand…

I’ve got one of those paddles.  It’s OK.

#241907 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Lordosis Lordosis
    Participant

With cleaning the grill I have the “it’s not just good, it’s good enough” attitude.
    I have heard people run their grill grates through the dishwasher.

#241924 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

You can flip the grill grates upside down, and burn off residue, then flip again next time you grill. Dishwasher????? That sounds like too much of a hassle.

#242146 Reply
    Participant

Had a Weber Summit in the old house.  Now have a good charbroil 6 burner that was only $600.   Gas is for convenience for the quick meal and casual user.  Dedicated grillers will use charcoal and smokers — I’m not – need quick startup, cook, and clean out.

Searing is the best way to lock in the flavor quick and multiple burners are nice to control heat and multiple types of foods cooking on the grill at the same time.  That’s the difference between the number of burners and value.  More burners make faster and more convenient grilling — not so much the name.

#242178 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

What exactly are you needing to clean off that can’t be cleaned by cranking the heat up to high and rubbing it with a wire brush or one of those wooden paddles? When I do those things with the grill on high it gets them very clean. It’s helpful to do it at the end of when you’ve cooked food and the grill is very hot. If you try and do it the next time you grill, at least wait until the grill is very hot before trying to do it. I’ve never had a problem with an unclean grill doing this.

#242181 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

What exactly are you needing to clean off that can’t be cleaned by cranking the heat up to high and rubbing it with a wire brush or one of those wooden paddles? When I do those things with the grill on high it gets them very clean. It’s helpful to do it at the end of when you’ve cooked food and the grill is very hot. If you try and do it the next time you grill, at least wait until the grill is very hot before trying to do it. I’ve never had a problem with an unclean grill doing this.

Click to expand…

Most common problem is with marinated meat, when the marinade is thick.

If it’s just a burger, that’s not a big deal.  Sometime the cheese for a cheeseburger is a little stickier, but even that is not so bad.

#242193 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

Barbecue 2-3 times a month.

#242195 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Lordosis Lordosis
    Participant

Click to expand…

Exactly.  This is precisely what I do.  I pre heat the grill and scrape clean before I use it.

Dishwasher

Click to expand…

I do not recommend it I have just seen it done.

#242235 Reply
    Liked by AZPT, Tangler
    Zzyzx Zzyzx
    Participant

You can flip the grill grates upside down, and burn off residue, then flip again next time you grill. Dishwasher????? That sounds like too much of a hassle.

Click to expand…

grillgrates are meant to be seasoned, the oily residue theoretically adds smoky aromatics when grilling which based on what I’ve seen is clean smoke and not burnt or foul smelling/tasting.  I leave the oil be and scrape the hardened burnt pieces off the grates and occasionally vacuum out the burnt bits deep inside the bbq.  I think just before winter hits I’ll deep clean the grates for storage but I haven’t found a need to do this in peak summer season.

What is the best way to clean GrillGrates?

The best way to clean GrillGrates is during the warm-up of the grill. Set gas grills to medium, with GrillGrates in place and close lid. Use traditional cleaning methods like grill pads or a wire brush during warm up. We don’t recommend high-heat burn-off as you burn off the seasoning. Occasional high-heat burn off is fine- especially after a particularly slopping marinade or a lot of chicken wings etc. Periodic cleaning in the sink or in an outside bucket will help keep GrillGrates at their best. The rails of the Anodized GrillGrates clean up well on the grill with a brush and in the sink with a sponge or brillo. Do not use harsh de-greasers or caustic cleaners such as oven cleaners on GrillGrates- they can pit the hard anodized surface. Do not place hot GrillGrates in cold water as it may warp the panels. Soak in hot water and dish soap after the Grates have cooled down. For additional information please refer to our Use & Care Guidelines.

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#242243 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Zzyzx Zzyzx
    Participant
    Dishwasher 

Click to expand…

I do not recommend it I have just seen it done.

Click to expand…

Can I clean the GrillGrates in dishwasher?

Do not put GrillGrates in the dishwasher. The dishwasher itself if not the culprit, but the harsh caustic detergents that can pit the hard anodized surface. Besides it can make a mess in the dishwasher! Do no use caustic dishwashing detergent or oven cleaners on the Hard Anodized GrillGrates.

It’s psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I’ll get a saw.

#242266 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

The Big Green Egg is awesome. See pics below.

I know you already bought the Weber. But you’re worth 6 million. So you should buy the Weber AND the Big Green Egg.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #242267 Reply
    Liked by AZPT, Tangler

Reply To: To grill or not to grill?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear