Menu

To grill or not to grill?

Home The Lounge To grill or not to grill?

• CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Took you long enough to order it! I thought we would be seeing some grill and food pictures by now! 😉

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#241327 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, Peds
    Participant
    Have considered getting a handlheld searer but haven’t pulled the trigger.. still trying to perfect the sous-vide technique

Click to expand…

My brother purchased a Searzall, but he doesn’t really like it that much.  He mostly uses a charcoal bbq to sear his sous-vide steaks.  The last time we ate together, he didn’t even dump the charcoal out of the rapidfire chimney starter – he just put the grill grates right on top of the chimney starter for searing the steak (which is much hotter than dumping them out in the bbq and spreading them around).

"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

#241355 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Hank Hank 

So we’re five pages into the “to grill or not to grill” thread.  Has anyone made the “not to grill” case?

Even the vegans can grill their zucchinis and portobello mushrooms.  Where is the “not to grill” argument?

#241457 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, Peds
    Participant

I didn’t think it was truly a question, but I only have one argument against grilling: bear attractant.

Overall still worth grilling, but I hate bears.

#241491 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

I didn’t think it was truly a question, but I only have one argument against grilling: bear attractant.

Overall still worth grilling, but I hate bears.

Click to expand…

My wife and I had to step over fresh bear scat twice yesterday on our hike through the woods.

Her approach to the potential threat of a bear attack is to read all she can about bear behaviour and know what to do in response to the bear.

My approach to the same problem is to know that I don’t have to run faster than a charging bear, I just have to run faster than my hiking partner.

#241529 Reply
    Participant

So we’re five pages into the “to grill or not to grill” thread.  Has anyone made the “not to grill” case?

Even the vegans can grill their zucchinis and portobello mushrooms.  Where is the “not to grill” argument?

Click to expand…

We didn’t own a grill when I found a new Weber on clearance a year or two ago for 50% off.  I bought it.   I went home and read about the carcinogenic effects of grilling meat.  I have multiple family members with GI cancers diagnosed before age 50.  Even if the risks aren’t massive, I knew the knowledge of them would suck the joy out of using the grill (I know you can grill things other than meat… but I wanted it for the meat!).  I returned the grill and have no plans to own another.

There you have it.  A case against grilling.

#241536 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

We didn’t own a grill when I found a new Weber on clearance a year or two ago for 50% off.  I bought it.   I went home and read about the carcinogenic effects of grilling meat.  I have multiple family members with GI cancers diagnosed before age 50.  Even if the risks aren’t massive, I knew the knowledge of them would suck the joy out of using the grill (I know you can grill things other than meat… but I wanted it for the meat!).  I returned the grill and have no plans to own another.

There you have it.  A case against grilling.

Click to expand…

Not diminishing your story at all, but I suspect the amount of alcohol I consume peri-grilling is much more deleterious than those carcinogens.

Well, until I get mauled by that bear, which will then top the list of bad outcomes….

#241542 Reply
    Participant

If anybody else is in the market for a grill, costco has the weber 3 burner for $799.97.  Helped myself to one last week.

FYI It’s a Weber S-345, basically an S-335 with some extra stuff.

#241552 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Beets, bears, Battlestar Galactica!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#241556 Reply
    Liked by Tangler, MaxPower, Hank
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Thx for the tip wcinewbie.

Unfortunately I’m waiting until I hit a 5m net worth before forking down on one : (

#241560 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

Grew up on charcoal. Still use charcoal. Maybe I’m better off not knowing what advantages and delights gas offers.

#241580 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

Get a grill that runs on natural gas and hooks into your home. Never run out.

We use our little Weber up to 3 times per week regardless of weather. It’s under a covered area.

#241604 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Thx for the tip wcinewbie.

Unfortunately I’m waiting until I hit a 5m net worth before forking down on one : (

Click to expand…

Give it a try for a few years.  If you don’t like it, return it.  😉

#241611 Reply

to spend 800???? we can do that much at target in a month and not bat an eye…

#241635 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, Tangler
    Participant

While we’re on the subject of grills, does anyone have any good tips for cleaning grills.  I’d grill more, but I hate trying to get the grill clean enough that I want to grill on it again.   Especially if I grill something that was marinated.

#241644 Reply
    Liked by Tangler

Reply To: To grill or not to grill?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear