Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

To grill or not to grill?

Home The Lounge To grill or not to grill?

• Hank Hank 

Now my first choice would be that you go with a propane grill.  I understand that some folks plumb natural gas because they aren’t willing to keep five or ten tanks of proper propane around like they should.

Either way, it’s far better to cook with gas than to cook with charcoal, wood, peat, cow patties or some such.  You want to taste the meat, not the heat.

#234931 Reply
    Participant

Agree with most of the recommendations above, except the one that advocated for buying a cheaper grill and replacing it. I did that twice already from Med school to residency and then residency to fellowship. When we moved into our current house after I graduated fellowship (been here 5 years, so don’t chastise me), one of the first purchases was a Weber Genesis propane grill and I haven’t regretted it once. I’ve now had this grill longer than either of my 2 previous grills and haven’t replaced a single component on this yet, and it still looks almost brand new.

I grill at least 2 times per week year round, and it is covered under a covered patio but I still put a cover on it after it has returned to ambient temperature.

I’m this case, this is one of the things that if you buy a Weber you’ll buy it for life, instead of replacing a cheap grill every 3-5 years. Plus when you need to replace components you know that Weber will still be in business, unlike many of those cheap off brands you see at Lowes or Home Depot.

Do it!! You won’t regret it.

#234934 Reply
    Participant

Also, don’t forget to get a couple a-maze-n 12 inch tubes that you can fill up with hickory pellets and generate smoke for 3-4 hours.

Click to expand…

This just blew my mind. Buying now.

To the OP: get the sear burner, but I don’t think it’s worth paying extra for full stainless, especially the cheap stainless used these (even Weber). There’s a special edition that you can get if you want the stainless grates, which are nice. Or you could add those later. Agree with the natural gas hook up if your place has it.

#234919 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

Great info. Thank you! I know the idea of even considering the cost is ridiculous, but this kind of thinking has helped me. It is why i purchased a used civic and why I don’t own a bunch of expensive status artifacts. My wife and I have a wonderful life. We have two wonderful dogs who love us unconditionally. I know this is unpopular to say but dogs………vs kids……..ok, not going there.  Works for us.

We have saved enough to avoid worrying about money and we are approaching or (have arrived) at the “work for fun” stage of medicine. My wife has gone part time. I am probably going to slow down soon and might even hit the eject button or at least turn off the engines and start gliding pretty soon (freedom and fishing at fifty = what my investment policy statement lists as goal). I fish out of a small paid for boat and enjoy spending time with friends and family vs buying expensive stuff.

The grill will be used to entertain and thus I imagine using it for at least 5 parties a year (wife loves to host). I also think I will use it at least 1x per week. Dogs, burgers, steaks, fish, chicken, shish Kabobs, pork baby back ribs, pulled pork, mushrooms, asparagus, corn, …….these are all things I have cooked over 1000 times so…….yes, I think this thing will pay for itself in experience generation.

So things I will consider and clarify:

Again, YES, I love charcoal and big green eggs (had a cheaper knock off  version in past) but my townhouse does NOT allow charcoal so it is out.

Points now considering:

1. Number of burners? Hmmmm mixed messages here. 4 or go home vs go with the smaller weber spirit II with 3 burners……………This will take consideration but leaning toward the 4 burner. This is a 10 year purchase after all and not a simple decision. The money part of it is silly (my brother is right) but the utility and thought process are relevant……this is a 10 year  commitment! This is like picking a job! I will probably keep this longer than my current job; LOL

2. smoking tubes or boxes or (“a-maze-n 12 inch tubes”) yes this will happen

3. Cover-yes

4. Stainless grates? Yes

5. Another thing I will do is build a small outside sink and counter for cleaning fish. Will clean them and throw right on grill! Catch in morning, clean, cook for lunch!

6. side burner: yes, will use for frying some fish and for sauce simmering

7. sear burner- nope. I don’t expect to use it

What am I missing here? Thanks!

#234955 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Participant

Do it OP, looks like an awesome grill.

Will suck to put it together though probably.

#234957 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    Now my first choice would be that you go with a propane grill.

Click to expand…

OP- I would listen to the guy who has a picture of a propane tank representing him on a financial forum.

aren’t willing to keep five or ten tanks

Click to expand…

Okay maybe he is crazy… 😛

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#234967 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Tangler
    Participant

Tangler, just to put things in perspective, this is like someone with a NW of 60k asking if they should spend $10.

Just buy the grill you want.

#234968 Reply
    Participant
    smoking tubes or boxes or (“a-maze-n 12 inch tubes”) yes this will happen

Click to expand…

Not sure the exact model you are speaking of, nor am I exactly a smoker person (leave that to my neighbor who grew up in Texas).  IMO a grill and smoker are separate cooking tools.  Like investing and insurance, don’t mix the two tools.

I believe if I had your NW, I could probably convince my wife that we could afford a smoker also, maybe…..

#234973 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

eat the meat, not the heat.

signed

hank hill

#234975 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

The side burner and a cast iron pan also make for a great sear.

#234979 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    Participant

Big green egg with flame boss controller. Can smoke for 16-20 hours at desired temp.

#235014 Reply
    Liked by JWeb, Tangler
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

Now I want a grill.

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    Have owned a Genisis for 13 years and it still works well

Click to expand…

Me too! I had gone through (2) $200 grills in 4 years when I bought it. I believe I paid $650 for it and got the side burner and pull out shelves.

Two years ago I switched to Charcoal and there is no looking back.

If you cannot do charcoal, I would definitely recommend a weber. And a spare propane tank. Or even get a natural gas line and never worry about propane again!

#235046 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#235053 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    triad triad 
    Participant

eat the meat, not the heat.

signed

hank hill

Click to expand…

did you see the episode where his family ate charcoal burgers for the first time?  lol I love the taste of the charcoal!

#235054 Reply
    Liked by Tangler

Reply To: To grill or not to grill?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear