Menu

This seems harsh…

Home The Lounge This seems harsh…

• Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I can’t believe so many people still find Facebook usable.  To me it’s as obsolete and obnoxious as regular FM radio and mailing paper checks across the country.

What makes this forum great is that traffic is reasonably strong but still the quality of posters is pretty high, which means it can be loosely moderated and we can discuss topics tangentially related to finance.  Bogleheads is extremely strict in comparison (topics have to be narrow in scope and “actionable”).  Sometimes I wish the traffic here were a little higher, but I know that would bring in more bad apples and dunderheads.  I’m thinking of trying the MMM forums as another tab to refresh a couple of times a day.

#201578 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, ENT Doc, Zaphod
    Hank Hank 
    I really want to give up FB.  But it works well to keep all the old ladies in my life apprised of my kids… I think that’s the only thing keeping me there, the guilt of the old ladies.

Click to expand…

Set up a private, invitation-only blog for photosharing.  Blogspot seems to work okay.  Send invites to aforementioned older family members.  They get updates of your cute kids doing cute things, you don’t sell your privacy and soul to the Zuckerberg privacy destruction machine.

#201641 Reply
    Participant

I get the business model and value what the subgroup on FB does to drive traffic here. It’s the billboard and hotel flyer and brief concierge blurbs that you fostered o get you off the road to take a.look.

It’s the meat in the blogs, book, forums that get them to stay, and click on sponsored things. If you don’t have the deeper conversations here or on the blog, the reasons to stick around and click around is low. Just getting the customer into the shop isn’t enough– they gotta buy something.

The ecosystem should be deeper and richer here because of that. If not, no reason to leave FB to check out the website and real revenue generation.

So from the business aspect, I get the desire for FB group. Its equivalent to an outreach program. Do some basic good. If you want more, come visit the clinic and main hub for comprehensive care.

#201661 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant

@litlium. I’m not so sure FB is obsolete. You must be in the wrong groups then. There are some fantastic groups (but there are garbage ones too). My specialty group is fantastic. There are some great travel groups with travel recs. I’m in one group which shares historic stories and photos of our town I grew up in. One day someone posted the 1924 high school men’s tennis team and I found my great uncle was in the first row. So I saved it. It’s a fabulous group. So interesting.
    We have had good luck with FB marketplace as well.

It’s just another “space” in the WCI world. I just don’t find it as useful as other WCI spaces.

#201791 Reply
    Participant

There’s actually 2 people I find interesting in the wci group, very knowledgeable finance people. Other than that, I stay silent in any group. So many finance groups are just advertisementsor something to drive traffic to the blog. I understand business sense of it. It’s just too redundant and waste of time.

#201818 Reply
    Participant

A recent post went like this. Anonymous question since the poster presumably didn’t want to reveal too much personal info. Net worth 2.7 mil @ 40. Question was, can they cut back. Seems like a good net worth and decent question.

The replies consisted of:
    5-10 people who typed “F” or “following”
    The anti “F” people who inevitably explain how to follow a post without typing “F”
    A bunch of questions about how he/she did it.
    A bunch of valid questions consisting of inquiring about expenses, which weren’t listed in the OP.

But with the anonymous nature, the OP can’t reapond to any valid questions so the thread never addresses the original question because insufficient background was given and the OP can’t respond and “out themselves” as the original poster.

I find anonymous posts generally useless because there’s never enough background given. If a person wants to post with relative anonymity, why not do it here and then they can actually respond to legit questions and clarify?

#201852 Reply

F

Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

What is this f people speak of?

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#201871 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

What is this f people speak of?

Click to expand…

It’s shorthand for “following the conversation”, for people who don’t know that there is an easy way to do this without clogging up the threads.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#201881 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Are you still considered a lurker if all you post is f?
    That seems like the most ludicrous thing ever. People have such a desire to be a part of something they have to post f to show they are watching. I am glad I dumped Facebook.
    Vagabond thanks for the education. Way to teach the younger generation something about Facebook!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#201887 Reply
    Liked by Hank
    jhenry jhenry 
    Participant

Like many of the other comments on this thread suggest, I too am not surprised that the quality of the conversations on the FB group is lower than the WCI Forum.

I find this forum very substantive and constructive and the degree of financial literacy by the contributors to this group is quite high.

Joshua Henry, Meridian Financial Advisory ~ [email protected]
    https://www.meridianfinancialadvisory.com/

#201888 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Participant

U

NaOH NaOH 
    Participant

Bruh, if you think the WCI facebook page is bad, get yourself an invite to the Dads Married to Doctors Group. 😛

Some of these lady docs really have landed themselves some mega-dumb husbands.  Straight up morons.

Click to expand…

…I’m not gonna lie, I’m sort of intrigued now.

What makes this forum great is that traffic is reasonably strong but still the quality of posters is pretty high, which means it can be loosely moderated and we can discuss topics tangentially related to finance.  Bogleheads is extremely strict in comparison (topics have to be narrow in scope and “actionable”)

This is the main reason I prefer this forum over Bogleheads. It’s a great resource when you have a specific question, but sort of lousy as an actual community.

"Don't fear failure - not failure, but low aim, is the crime.
    In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

#202266 Reply
    Participant
    , and it is equally tricky to monetize.

Click to expand…

That is interesting to me. Hm. I’d have thought FB allowed some easy click bait to pull folks into something.

#202273 Reply
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster
    , and it is equally tricky to monetize. 

Click to expand…

That is interesting to me. Hm. I’d have thought FB allowed some easy click bait to pull folks into something.

Click to expand…

It took me three years to figure out how to monetize a blog well. Hopefully it doesn’t take me that long to figure out a FB group.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#202537 Reply
    Liked by adventure

Reply To: This seems harsh…

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear