Menu

This resident did NOT need to be told not to buy a house…

Home The Lounge This resident did NOT need to be told not to buy a house…

Participant

I’m on a low-volume nephrology rotation. The fellow (a mid-30’s single guy, from what I’ve deduced) brings to work…a pink, sequined ball gown. I’m not one to judge,  but curiosity got the best of me.

Turns out, his side gig is buying clothes from a shop that sells returns/damaged items from department stores. He cleans them up and ebay’s them. He was quite excited to share that he bought the ballgown for $3 and sold it for $20. He brought it to work to ship.

So, for every resident wanting to buy an overpriced house, there may be a nephrologist re-sequining a prom dress for $17. Both options seem financially foolish, to me 🙂

#197062 Reply
    ACN ACN 

I do medical surveys between cases as a resident and still now as an attending.  I feel like that’s a better use of my time then re-sequencing prom dresses.  Typically $1-2/min.  Occasional phone interview for $300/45mins.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#197064 Reply
    Liked by CordMcNally
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Maybe he just likes fashion because he could be making much more money doing other things. Or maybe he’s single because he has a place full of mannequins wearing these weird gowns.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#197073 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

Maybe he didn’t want to share the truth that he likes to dress up on his days off, hahah!

#197093 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, octopus85
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I used to do some ebay, but for my own stuff usually though I did pick up some stuff from Sports Chalet closing. It just got to be where the time/effort and rising transactional costs were simply not worth it. I was usually netting far more than this reseller though. When you add on top of that how bad buyers have become, with the dumb questions (which I do enjoy responding to) and constantly trying to neg things down for more off and Ebay basically having 100% authority and they over protect buyers to the extent some buyers game the system…I quit. Not worth my time. I’d rather dump it at goodwill or throw it out.

#197172 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

I’m on a low-volume nephrology rotation. The fellow (a mid-30’s single guy, from what I’ve deduced) brings to work…a pink, sequined ball gown. I’m not one to judge,  but curiosity got the best of me.

Turns out, his side gig is buying clothes from a shop that sells returns/damaged items from department stores. He cleans them up and ebay’s them. He was quite excited to share that he bought the ballgown for $3 and sold it for $20. He brought it to work to ship

So, for every resident wanting to buy an overpriced house, there may be a nephrologist re-sequining a prom dress for $17. Both options seem financially foolish, to me

Click to expand…

Amazing. I am totally supportive of creativity and hustle. If it works for your colleague, more power to him.

Please clue him in to solo-k’s, backdoor Roth’s, and this forum. I would love to meet him! (Not as a potential client, simply to learn more about him and his motivations.)

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#197180 Reply

Reply To: This resident did NOT need to be told not to buy a house…

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear