Menu

The Shrink Next Door

Home The Lounge The Shrink Next Door

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Has anyone else listened to this podcast?  It’s by the same company that made Dr. Death, and is about a psychiatrist who completely manipulated his patients for his own financial gain.  Apparently he’s still practicing.

Wondering especially about the perspective of the psychiatrists on here.  Do you think prospective patients might listen to this and be guarded about seeking advice from a psychiatrist?

#230335 Reply
    Participant

I had not heard of this, I’ll have to listen to it!

#230336 Reply
    Liked by Anne
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

It’s an absolutely captivating story, definitely a must listen! Also, though much more dark, listen to ‘Root of all Evil’. Another interesting, yet gruesome, story about a physician, though mostly unrelated to his medical practice.

#230338 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

I started listening, listened to one or two episodes and could not get into it. (Maybe it’s just me…)

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#230349 Reply
    Liked by bean1970
    Participant

Haven’t heard of it before. Will have to check it out. Sounds horrific, but there is plenty of anti-psychiatry out there already, so I wonder whether this moves the needle on dissuading potential patients. Unfortunately, as a psychiatrist, it’s not infrequent that I hear from patients about past unfortunate experiences with practitioners. I’m sure it’s in every profession, but there are a lot of people who aren’t meeting acceptable professional standards.

#230354 Reply
    Participant

Bad publicity tends to dampen enthusiasm.

#230355 Reply
    Participant

I started listening, listened to one or two episodes and could not get into it. (Maybe it’s just me…)

Click to expand…

i made it to three episodes and bailed…..

#230361 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Vagabond MD
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

Listened to the whole thing.  It was captivating but I’m not sure what I can say that’s especially profound about it?  The psychiatrist sounds like a cad, but the story was too slanted to get a real impression of the pathology of either him or the patient.  Nocera really blew it by losing the recorded interview with the psychiatrist.  After I finished it I found myself aligned more with the “It takes two to tango” camp.

#230387 Reply
    Liked by wonka31, Anne
    Participant

Amazing podcast. But there is theme to these Wondery podcasts. Every series is an evil healthcare practitioner who commits terrible acts (Dr. Death, Dirty John, Shrink Next Door).  We need a Wondery podcast about a corrupt lawyer, politician, janitor, whoever else.

#230410 Reply
    Participant

Amazing podcast. But there is theme to these Wondery podcasts. Every series is an evil healthcare practitioner who commits terrible acts (Dr. Death, Dirty John, Shrink Next Door).  We need a Wondery podcast about a corrupt lawyer, politician, janitor, whoever else.

Click to expand…

I was thinking the same thing!  Although a podcast about a corrupt politician is just too easy.

#230414 Reply
    Liked by StateOfMyHead
    Participant

Yup, it’s called the evening news….

#230423 Reply
    Participant

I am only on episode 4 – I agree it does take two to tango but this psychiatrist had serious boundary issues.  How about a podcast about the weirdest patient?

#230435 Reply
    Liked by Anne

Reply To: The Shrink Next Door

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear