Menu

The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

Home The Lounge The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

• IntensiveCareBear IntensiveCareBear 
    Participant

A calorie is a calorie. Absolutely true. However… what is different about what I learned in the obesity code is that the appetite and the craving of more calories melts away when you follow Dr. Fung’s advice…

Click to expand…

yes, so true.  eating some fatty brisket and sausage will fill you up much more quickly then the equivalent number of calories in white bread.

Click to expand…

Yes, this is really the start and the end of it. I can’t believe so many people have a hard time grasping it.

It is all calories in versus calories burned, so you have to choose foods that provide satiety (mainly proteins, good fats, a few high GI carbs). Your body hardly cares if it’s 2000cal of Coke and potato chips versus 2000cal of chicken salad, but we both know which would fill you up more.

The vast majority of people eat way too many carbs and way too big of portions, and that means massive calorie surplus and DM/obesity/etc nonsense. We all know diabetes 2 and the majority of health issues we see are basically just a side effects of being fat. Carbs, especially simple ones, are barely ever useful to non-athletic people. We are a very, very lazy society now. There is no longer a place for rice and potatoes and bread on the dinner plate – or even the lunch plate. We simply aren’t out plowing fields or building houses or walking for miles anymore… yet the carbs are a bigger % piece of the pie than ever before in the average USA diet. That is simply not compatible with the 21st century couch surfer binging on InstaGram and Netflix and only going to the gym once weekly (if that). Carbs need to be kept very minimal for most people, and the only logical time for sugary stuff is maybe if you’re about to go hit the gym or bike/hike awhile… or as a reward right afterwards if you want.

Congrats to the OP on figuring it out… it gets harder as we age. It’s sad that med school doesn’t have more on basic nutrition. I hope that changes (for docs and general health ed).

White.Beard.Doc wrote:

Click to expand…

…I started on a pretty simple plan.  Eat lots of protein, fish, seafood, chicken…  Fat is ok.  Carbs are not.  No sugar, no bread, no rice, no pasta, no potatoes.  As far as fruits and vegetables, I used the pictures on dietdoctor.com and posted the simple pictures on that web site in our kitchen.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

The pounds flew away even though I ate as much as I wanted, no calorie restriction, just carb restriction.  Instead of snacking on bad stuff, we put out bowls of different kinds of nuts in our kitchen, pecans, macadamia, and almonds.  My BMI is around 23, and loving it.

Click to expand…

Yep, it is a solid plan for nearly anyone, and it is not hard. It is basically impossible to eat too much when you are limited to foods with high satiety and feedback. You might want to be a little careful with the nuts since they are super dense in calories (you will see this if you do calorie journal), but as long as it’s working, it’s good to hear. GL

"Hmm, that sounds risky." - motto of the middle class

#214527 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Here we go again!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#214532 Reply
    Liked by childay, LIFO, Zaphod
    triad triad 
    Participant
    It is all calories in versus calories burned, so you have to choose foods that provide satiety (mainly proteins, good fats, a few high GI carbs). Your body hardly cares if it’s 2000cal of Coke and potato chips versus 2000cal of chicken salad, but we both know which would fill you up more.

Click to expand…

the problem is our understanding of calories is flawed.  I think the current calculation is based on how much energy is released when the item is burned.  Our bodies don’t work that way.  It takes energy to convert food into glucose.  simple carbs take less energy to convert then fats and proteins so 100 calories of carbs provides more energy then 100 calories of fat.

#214536 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

the problem is our understanding of calories is flawed.  I think the current calculation is based on how much energy is released when the item is burned.  Our bodies don’t work that way.  It takes energy to convert food into glucose.  simple carbs take less energy to convert then fats and proteins so 100 calories of carbs provides more energy then 100 calories of fat.

Click to expand…

I think what you might be referring to is the thermic effect of food (there are other terms used to refer to this effect as well).  That makes sense, but when you look at the magnitude of the effect it is pretty minimal.  If an obese person is trying to lose weight, and they ignore the effect entirely, the difference will be minimal.  If you’re a super lean body builder or something and you need to lose a few extra lbs, then these kinds of things will matter.

Most importantly, it doesn’t contradict calories in/calories out.  It just means there is more or less out that needs to be considered.  No thermodynamic laws are being violated.

No such effects are going to explain ridiculous things like gaining weight while consuming 1200 kcal and swimming an hour a day.

#214612 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, Zaphod, triad

Reply To: The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear