Menu

The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

Home The Lounge The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

•  Anne 
    Participant

The other rule is to not make it unless there is plenty of opportunity to share 🙂

#149101 Reply
    Liked by legobikes
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Oh man, your rule about making it from scratch would backfire for me; I make Ghirardelli brownies extra chewy, and I can finish the pan in a day.

Click to expand…

Maybe if you try harder next time you’ll be able to do it in at least half. Aim for progress. I am a total gorger, we make that kind of thing and we tend to crush it.

We’ve gotten better lately and now typically end up throwing out more than half, which is a waste, but just makes you buy it less frequently.

#149110 Reply
    Liked by legobikes
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I read the book (actually I listened to it on audible–I did not like the tone of the narrator but found the content interesting).  There was mention about how societies that traditionally eat a ton of rice have traditionally had very low rates of obesity, and obesity in those societies has increased with increased sugar and wheat intake.  So if you can’t give up rice, bread, and pasta, maybe focus on giving up processed wheat products and added sugars first?  I have switched to edamame pasta and actually prefer it to regular pasta.  My rule for desserts is that I can have it if I make it from scratch.   No prepackaged cookies, cakes, ice cream etc.  I did these things long before reading the book and have found them effective.   I guess I naturally do intermittent fasting too, although I don’t follow a set schedule for it.  I would like to trial a longer fast just to see how I handle it mentally–e.g. 24 to 48 hours but I have not had the willpower to make it through the hunger spells of that while at work and still keep my patient game face on, and don’t really want to do it during a weekend or vacation.

Click to expand…

I know its not the same, but we eat the low carb/no sugar added ice cream. Its not bad and slightly better. Eat it in an expresso/cappuchino sm coffee cup size, it helps.

#149111 Reply
     mapplebum 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Way to go on your success! Just a few days before you posted this I was trying to remember who mentioned RP in the previous thread.

I did give up Keto + IF. Now I’m doing Renaissance Periodization after some gentle nudges from a coach. For all intents and purposes it is a low carb diet but NICHE. You buy templates either to cut or mass, designed specifically for people who lift. The heavier and longer you lift the more carbs you are allowed to eat that day. I must say, I felt great on Keto. It was the first winter I *didn’t* gain weight since moving to a cold climate. This summer I added in 24 / hour fasts on rest days. It was fine. But then I took progress pics and didn’t see a difference, and I had to admit I’d stalled at the gym. So here I am. One thing I want to say is when I started RP I was shocked by how much food I was supposed to eat. I don’t think I’ve had a single day when I’ve eaten everything on template. It made me realize that over the years I’ve been eating less and less which simply wasn’t serving me. (I promise I’m not restarting the calorie in/out debate). Or maybe that I practiced hunger during the week and made up for it on the weekends which meant I was spinning my wheels. On this diet I have actually missed being hungry.

I’m in the second of four phases of the cut, eating 150g protein, 35g fat, and 100-145g carbs depending on if I lift. I’m also supposed to eat TWELVE cups of low glycemic vegetables a day but that never happens. On workout days it turns out to be just under 1500 calories which should certainly put me into a caloric deficit. I doubt I’ve lost weight yet because I’ve been traveling / inconsistent but in the last month I’ve hit a 15# split jerk PR and 25# front squat PR which for me is insane. As someone previously mentioned it really is about finding a plan that works for you at your current life phase. I’ve run the gamut of Paleo, Primal, low glycemic, Keto, restricting eating windows for all. What’s working for me is it’s a little more structure than simply cutting out food groups, but I’m also not staring at MyFitnessPal all day either. I weigh my food and input into a Google doc which for whatever reason doesn’t feel burdensome. Also, I get to eat sandwiches!! For the most part I’ve stayed away from grains for a good 3 years so every time I eat some rice it feels like Christmas.

It’s a shame summer’s over. I usually get most of my reading done then. I did read most of that book on negotiation, however. Does that count?

#149112 Reply
     joeblo 
    Participant

November will be 2 years since I have been on Keto diet.  Lost 50 lbs. Now OFF Metformin, now OFF Januvia … take no meds for NIDDM. Hgb A1c =5.2 cholesterol profile better than ever on keto.  wife and daughter have seen the change in me long enough to see it was not a fad so they are on board also.  Can’t recommend the keto concept and intermittent fasting (I only eat between lunch and dinner) enough.

#149147 Reply
     joeblo 
    Participant

If you like the Obesity Code then you will also be intrigued by The Big Fat Surprise (Teicholz)

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Surprise-Butter-Healthy/dp/1451624433/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

#149174 Reply
     EDDOCMOM 
    Participant

So I’m halfway through Obesity Code and thought about this thread.  I also have found “Weight Loss for Busy Physicians” Podcast which has been great so far – targeted toward female physicians but might interest some of you.  http://www.katrinaubellmd.com

Anyone have any tips for cutting out my 1/day Diet Coke and some occasional MIO drinks flavors?  I don’t tend to have much of a sweet tooth but I look forward to my Diet Coke, especially on a shift.

Also looking for tips for adjusting IF for switching from days to nights and back again.

#156165 Reply
     LumpyAvacado 
    Participant

I haven’t read the book but have done a modified paleo diet with perhaps 80% compliance, combined with IF (for both spiritual and health reasons).  It sounds similar to the Obesity Code.  A big plus one for this type of diet from me.  I lost 70 lbs at one point, and currently holding steady at a healthier -50.    I would also recommend a one meal a day replacement with a nutri-bullet or vitamix smoothie.  .5 full of greens,  some healthy fats (avocado, coconut oil, olive oil), some protein (lean meats are usually best), perhaps some berries (careful with the calories here) and some spices.  They really seem to cut down on hunger and give the even blood sugar for energy that lasts.  Also +1 for CrossFit.

#157184 Reply
     LumpyAvacado 
    Participant

I found this site to be informative.  Please be aware I am not a physician and have no idea as to the claims made.  My personal experience however did appear to follow the recommendations.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/guides

edit:I’m sorry that was supposed to be a reply to EDDOCMOM

#157187 Reply
     jessikaur 
    Participant

You don’t have to read the book. You can watch a hour or less podcast on it free on youtube! did it while I was walking on my treadmill to kill time. I was never obese, but I too had gained/had difficulty losing weight after vacations without making myself completely miserable… but this year, I really got into health/natural approaches (tongue-in-cheek about health, since I think so many of things we are taught are backwards). Turns out I was doing intermittent fasting (unknowingly) for years just by skipping breakfast. but I had no idea that eating my “healthy” melon/fruits in the morning from the hospital doctor’s lounge could be so damaging!! anyway, I also lost about 10 pounds of pure fat and look better than in my 20s.

Now… I do the fasting for the autophagy benefits since I am a lean/normal weight. But whenever you mention fasting to people they think you’re a naturalist-loon… we really need to get the word out there to our patients… I’ve been doing it one patient at a time, and normally when they’re interested.

#157280 Reply
     jessikaur 
    Participant
    So I’m halfway through Obesity Code and thought about this thread. I also have found “Weight Loss for Busy Physicians” Podcast which has been great so far – targeted toward female physicians but might interest some of you. http://www.katrinaubellmd.com Anyone have any tips for cutting out my 1/day Diet Coke and some occasional MIO drinks flavors? I don’t tend to have much of a sweet tooth but I look forward to my Diet Coke, especially on a shift. Also looking for tips for adjusting IF for switching from days to nights and back again.

Click to expand…

I was an avid diet coke fan. I have since replaced it with carbonated water. Soda stream 75 bucks, I make several liters of carbonated water a day (takes about 10 seconds a piece) or you can just buy carbonated water, but that’s bad for the environment but maybe easier to start off with as you break the habit, and you can squeeze, lime juice, lemon juice or whatever natural flavors you like into there….

I think you might end up doing IF naturally by switching from days to nights.. it’s just (minimum 12 hour period) between meals with no snacking. if your night shifts were as busy as mine, I naturally didn’t eat during the shift because I was so busy admitting patients (sometimes as many as 26 a night!!) .. then when I would get home, my body would be still on day-mode at least for the first day, so I wouldn’t end up eating and just go to sleep. I would wake up before my shift, and it was like I was waking up for a regular day, and I would just drink my coffee… and would eat if I got hungry, but between the switching back and forth, and the busy-ness my appetite would naturally be gone. ALSO… if I did have spare time, I would walk around the hospital playing some music to pass the time.. or go up and down the stairs.. crazy I know, but I freakin HATE nights the loneliness, the stress, the being on a different schedule from your spouse… so I needed to find things that completely filled the time.

What I would NOT do: is go to the cafeteria, nothing good can come of that.. OR hang out in the doctors’ lounge where they had plenty of unhealthy snacks, and drinks (except coffee and tea!!!)

I do what I do on long plane rides where the healthy food choices are limited… I bring a BUNCH of nuts, and put them into my white coat packet.. super easy to “pack” and have a handful if hunger strikes, you’d be surprised how fast the hunger goes away once you’ve hit your “fat” senses.

Hopefully this helps?? good luck!

#157289 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

Seriously, cold carbonated water tastes better than colored aspartame water.

Edit: I was in Morocco with some Indonesian friends and one of them asked me why it was that Americans (I) drank so much coke. I just shrugged until it came to mealtime and then it clicked – it’s because of all the greasy food! Carbonation is a palate cleanser, because not all food is engineered like Cheetos with ‘vanishing caloric density’.

#157298 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

I’m reading this book currently, and I’m already down 6 lbs in the past two weeks. I started following my natural inclination to not have any breakfast, and the only hard part was not eating past a certain point in the evening. I haven’t even bothered significantly curbing my sweet tooth – I just make sure I satisfy it immediately after a meal. I’m averaging 15 hour fasting periods with significant variation from 14 to 18 hours. Aside from empirical confirmation of what is written in the book, I’ve found it to agree with my past experience of traditional diets. For example, in tribal, mountainous Afghanistan, food is usually very heavy in (animal) fats and often the meal pattern is something like: very large breakfast with many eggs in the morning, small lunch, and tea in the evening, or, nominal breakfast, very large lunch, tea. The emphasis on fat is such that if you have a guest, it may be considered insulting if the food is not completely submerged in four fingers worth (holding out your hand sideways) of oil.

#169861 Reply
     burritos 
    Participant

So wife had a colonoscopy last week. I decided to fast with her for the prep. Never fasted in my life, ever. This coincided with my watching a few of Dr. Fung’s online lectures.(there are 6 holds on the obesity code at my library so I’d be like 6 months before I could get my hands on it). Intermittent fasting makes sense on some many levels: cell physiology, biochemically, neurohormonally, evolutionarily. The weight loss is a downstream benefit but is not the primary intention(if evolution has intention). My first fast I did was 37 hours. I did eat the bread edges of my daughters’ PGJ that I cut off for her. (I hate throwing away food). Yes my stomach grumbled a little bit, but other than that no problem. But yes, I’m a believer now and will proactively not eat from dinner till late lunch when working. We will see how this goes.

#172063 Reply

Reply To: The Obesity Code posting by Miss Bonnie changed my life

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear